Sailing on the "bigger" NCL ships

dltvermont

We are sailing on the Viva next March. Our largest NCL ship to date is the Jade. Ive heard things are different on the bigger and newer ships that you need reservations for everything etc. We are used to just showing up at shows we decide we want to see etc. Can people give some differences between the larger and smaller ships so that we are prepared when we sail?

Thanks all!

I"ve been on the Escape, Epic, Getaway and Breakaway many times.  Never once made a reservation for a show and never had an issue getting into one.  Just my experience.  I never know what I'm going to feel like doing at 7pm next Tuesday so how can I make a reservation on a ship??? Only small ships I've done are the Sky and the Jewel.  I don't really like the small ships as there doesn't seem to be as much to do.  

• Like 1

Prior to covid I had only been on the older NCL ships. Since the restart, I was on Bliss and the reservation system for shows was not that difficult. It just takes some planning.

You can now pre-book entertainment and your time window will depend on your booking, Haven, suites etc

https://cruiseradio.net/pre-cruise-entertainment-reservations-norwegian-cruise/

Alternately you can book (some) shows when you get on the ship but some are first come first serve. We did this on Bliss. There is a designated area, usually a bar or restaurant where you can book your shows.

I have not been on Viva so I cannot comment on their show offerings.

If your cruise is full and you want to see the production shows, you definitely need reservations or you can wait to see if people don’t show up 15-20 minutes before the show.  I won’t take the risk on a new ship/ new show on the Viva.

Yes, the system on the Viva will probably feel a lot different than the Jade for the reasons mentioned above. There are pluses and minuses to the reservation system.

I like the fact that once we have a confirmed reservation, then we know we have a seat and can enjoy the ship until 15 minutes or so before the show time. No need to wait in long lines.

On the other hands, if you get shut out of the reservations, then you have to do the standby line and hope you get in. Also, reservations require you to keep a schedule and some level of advance planning. You have to eat at a certain time so you can get to the show. It creates some structure which kind of contradicts the whole concept of freestyle cruising.

This is one of the things a really enjoy about the Jewel class. They never really feel crowded to us. We can always get a seat in the theater or in a lounge and we can just kinda let our evening develop as we go. You probably won't be able to just show up at Syd's or whatever the comedy club is called, Improv? 15 minutes before and expect to see the show.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

Since you’ll be on board in March the ship will be busy as it will be Spring Break.  Making reservations in advance is to your benefit and you can always cancel if you change your mind or your plans.  If this is helpful, I’m on board a maximum capacity Bliss this week (and last week) and when there was something I wanted to see and hadn’t made a reservation I was always able to get in as standby.

Many people are complaining that they haven’t been able to get restaurant reservations and some had vouchers and Free at Sea dinners they were not able to use.  Some people ended up eating lunch in American Diner just to use a meal voucher. Again, making reservations in advance is to your benefit.

6 hours ago, dltvermont said:

We are sailing on the Viva next March. Our largest NCL ship to date is the Jade. Ive heard things are different on the bigger and newer ships that you need reservations for everything etc. We are used to just showing up at shows we decide we want to see etc. Can people give some differences between the larger and smaller ships so that we are prepared when we sail?

Thanks all!

Thee have been several threads and numerous posts on CC detailing the difficulties with getting into certain shows on the Prima, Viva's sister ship.  Reports of standing in line for an hour and still finding SRO at the comedy club and Syd Norman's are frequently posted.  Perhaps things may smooth out by the time the Viva sails, but be prepared for crowds at some of the more popular, and somewhat smaller, venues.

8 hours ago, dltvermont said:

We are sailing on the Viva next March. Our largest NCL ship to date is the Jade. Ive heard things are different on the bigger and newer ships that you need reservations for everything etc. We are used to just showing up at shows we decide we want to see etc. Can people give some differences between the larger and smaller ships so that we are prepared when we sail? Thanks all!

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. You do not need reservations for "everything". The only difference is booking the main theater shows (including Beatlejuice) and potentially game shows (Press Your Luck). If the ship is full, there are not enough seats for everyone to see the main theater shows, so reservations will ensure you get in.

You can show up to any show and go stand-by,,, wait until 10 minutes before show time and take what ever seats that no one else wanted. 

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Reports of standing in line for an hour and still finding SRO at the comedy club and Syd Norman's are frequently posted.  

We have sailed on the Prima twice. Yes, they allow about 50 SRO people into the comedy club by design. Stand-by is for SRO (and maybe a few left over seats). Stand-by does not mean you will get a seat.