Experience with booked air through Oceania

wcGma

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Have you considered the  Hotel package option with O it is PP but includes transfer to the hotel & to the ship

Then ask for  the flights & pay the deviation fee to get the nonstop flights

It may be more expensive in the hotel end but maybe cheaper  for the flights & less hassle for your parents

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/australia-cruises/sydney-to-sydney-REG240125/hotels/

Do the math  & see what works best

Do not forget the e Visas for  both Countries

I could not believe how much I was being quoted for their hotel option

INTERCONTINENTAL SYDNEY $908 pp for 2 nights
OR
SHANGRI-LA HOTEL, SYDNEY $1018 pp for 2 nights

If I book Intercontinental myself, it's $350 per night and Shangri La is only $275 per night.   That is a 60-75% difference.

Even if I were to book hotels via Oceania, I'm not convinced they would still put the passengers on the direct flight. I think it would require a deviation fee + air differential fee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

By the way, since another poster just mentioned cruise line Hotel Packages, our experience is that we can generally book the same hotel (assuming we would want that hotel) and pay for transfers for about half the cost of the cruise line package.  Many folks forget that when they see the cruise line package price the real cost is double (for two persons).

Hank

I can understand if there is a 20-25% markup for the convenience factor, but double the cost is ridiculous.  These cruise lines are also able to block off rooms at wholesale rates so their profit margins must be even higher.

2 minutes ago, zipher36 said:

I can understand if there is a 20-25% markup for the convenience factor, but double the cost is ridiculous.  These cruise lines are also able to block off rooms at wholesale rates so their profit margins must be even higher.

@zipher36 Plus 1.  I originally had my pre-cruise hotel with Oceania in Athens.  I check out the hotel and its reviews.  I realized they are on the Marriott Guest Point Program.  I look at how much it would cost me $, it was about 1/2 and I had two rooms so my guest joining us benefit as well. I am Elite Status with Marriott, the rate had Nothing to do with my status.  For that I get perks like upgrades, internet and breakfast.  

It is my personal opinions that cruise lines do cruises best. Airlines do air best. Hotels do hotels best.  Deal directly with each of them (aside using a GREAT travel agent for the cruise.).

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So you have two basic choices (and should compare both).  Certainly call "O" and tell them about your concernsnand listen to what they can offer (in terms of flights and cost).  And then go onto a major search engine (Expedia, Orbitz, ITA Matrix, etc) for the best options that meet your critieria.  There is just no way we would trust O (or any other cruise line) to make our air decisions!  You make the decisions, and then compare the pricing/terms.

Teaching them to use Uber/Lyft and showing them how to use the apps (assuming they can deal with a smartphone) is a great idea for anyone.  Another option would be to pre-book a private transfer (and have somebody waiting, holding a sign with their name) although, they should still be advised what to do if the transfer does not show (or is not found).

At times, I feel a little sorry for our Canadian neighbors, since it often seems that the options are more limited.  We have 6 airports within reasonable driving range, so when we need to do longer international flights we will compare the options at all of those airports looking for price, our favorite airlines, hardware, and non-stop or the fewest connections).  These days I will often drive 3 hours to an airport just to get a non-stop flight on a decent airline.  As millions have learned in the last couple of years, airline connections can create some major issues.

Hank

Yes, I agree, knowing how to use Uber/Lyft is a MUST these days!  I might resort to booking a private transfer so that they don't have to stress about transportation after 15-20 hrs in the air.

I did confirm with the TA that I can opt out of the flight package and reinstate it up to 90 days before sailing.  This gives me a few weeks to consider any seat sales and also zero in on flights with decent connections.  If I find something good, then I'll arrange flights myself and not have to deal with O.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Are your parents experienced travellers?

Be sure they fly in a day or more early  they can just grab a taxi at the airport  or arrange  private car service  for them with meet & greet  option

We are able to still in our  70's  manage  finding our way  but some  people are not  as savvy

Talk to your parents & their comfort level is what is most important

They are experienced travellers but they've always joined tours and/or have had the luxury of traveling with one of their TA friends who knows all the ins and outs of travel.  Unfortunately, she has retired and they're on their own this time 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zipher36 said:

For what it's worth, I am not taking a shot at "O."  My comment applies to all the cruise lines (we have cruised on 16 lines with #17 coming up).  Another issue is that many of the cruise lines do not always use hotels in the best locations.

Hank

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zipher36 said:

I could not believe how much I was being quoted for their hotel option

INTERCONTINENTAL SYDNEY $908 pp for 2 nights
OR
SHANGRI-LA HOTEL, SYDNEY $1018 pp for 2 nights

If I book Intercontinental myself, it's $350 per night and Shangri La is only $275 per night.   That is a 60-75% difference.

Even if I were to book hotels via Oceania, I'm not convinced they would still put the passengers on the direct flight. I think it would require a deviation fee + air differential fee.

If they are comfortable  doing their own hotel  etc..Then that is  the better option

Maybe just book a hotel someplace   then book the non stop flights  for them

Some travellers  cannot find their way out  a paper bag  without assistance

Only you & your parents know what would work for them

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, zipher36 said:

They are experienced travellers but they've always joined tours and/or have had the luxury of traveling with one of their TA friends who knows all the ins and outs of travel.  Unfortunately, she has retired and they're on their own this time 🙂

So  they follow the leader  

Not  booking & navigating  the trip on their  own  which is  a big  deal

some people need more hand holding than others

JMO

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

No offense, but kind of an unnecessary comment. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, zipher36 said:

Bottom line

Talk to your parents & ask them what they  prefer

We only know what works for us  & not what your parents  are comfortable doing

I find that getting to the ship is usually no problem, however, getting from the ship to the airport can be a PITA.  Last sailing we took the O transfer to Rome as all the private transfers were charging  upwards of $200.  I’m sailing again in two weeks ending again in Rome and finding the same issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Unfortunately this has been the case previously.  They've never had to do it on their own as they tend to travel with a group of friends.

They will get to attempt a dry run at this when they sail on their own with Holland America from Vancouver to San Diego.  Crossing my fingers! Haha

I do appreciate everyone's input.  I have a much better understanding of how "flights + transfers included" work in the cruise industry.  I just want to make sure they have a fabulous time from start to finish.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Some travellers  cannot find their way out  a paper bag  without assistance

DING DING DING.  We have a winner.

Of course, much of that is due to not bothering to do the simplest amount of research in advance. 

But then again, some people are perfectly capable of doing things on their own, but have other reasons to want things to be taken care of for them. We are in our early 70's and I still work and my husband runs a small business. When we go on vacation, we want the convenience of having things all arranged for us. I reserve my research time to investigate what we want to see when we get there!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

But then again, some people are perfectly capable of doing things on their own, but have other reasons to want things to be taken care of for them. We are in our early 70's and I still work and my husband runs a small business. When we go on vacation, we want the convenience of having things all arranged for us. I reserve my research time to investigate what we want to see when we get there!

Then be sure to NEVER complain about what has been given to you.  When you abdicate responsibility, you have to accept whatever is given to you.

Can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Then be sure to NEVER complain about what has been given to you.  When you abdicate responsibility, you have to accept whatever is given to you.

Can't have it both ways.

Well, I am not much of a complainer to begin with, at least not when it comes to vacations. That being said, we do pay the extra fee to have a say in our flight selection. We learned that the hard way years ago. Most other details we will gladly delegate. So far, so good.

• Like 2