Room size on Wonder

I am going to book an extended family cruise on the Wonder, new to RCL. We have four children going ranging in ages 5-11, 6 adults. Seems like a great ship for these ages. Since we are footing the bill for this I am trying to figure out rooms for each of the three families. We always prefer ocean view balconies but my question is whether or not the size (182 sq ft) is actually comfortable for 2 adults and 2 children. That seems really small for a family of four to me. I know you don’t spend that much time in the room anyway but don’t want them falling all over themselves either! I love the Junior Suite but it’s a bit too pricey when I have to do 2 of them. I also know you could sacrifice the balcony for portholes and get more square footage but I think they would really love having that balcony. Any help or advice is most welcome!

It will be tight, but not unbearable.  I used to cruise with four in an inside stateroom, which is smaller and never regretted it while we were there.  Heck, I have even done 5 in an inside stateroom with Carnival (3 teenagers) and it was still doable and those staterooms are even tinier than RC! How much time are you going to spend in the room other than sleeping?  The biggest issue I found was for getting ready throughout the day (showers, etc.)  Because of the one small bathroom, it does add a lot of additional time to that aspect of your day.

Edited by TheBucketLister

Three balconies for the adults, one interior across the hall for the four kids. 

Possibly lower price than two Junior Suites and a balcony cabin. Would have to price it out on your specific cruise. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wendylet said:

I am going to book an extended family cruise on the Wonder, new to RCL. We have four children going ranging in ages 5-11, 6 adults. Seems like a great ship for these ages. Since we are footing the bill for this I am trying to figure out rooms for each of the three families. We always prefer ocean view balconies but my question is whether or not the size (182 sq ft) is actually comfortable for 2 adults and 2 children. That seems really small for a family of four to me. I know you don’t spend that much time in the room anyway but don’t want them falling all over themselves either! I love the Junior Suite but it’s a bit too pricey when I have to do 2 of them. I also know you could sacrifice the balcony for portholes and get more square footage but I think they would really love having that balcony. Any help or advice is most welcome!

We cruised in balconies as a family of four several times, and it was fine.  The balcony is the cheapest way to get a completely separate space where someone can find a bit of privacy.  If you get balconies next to one another (on most ships), you can ask the cabin steward to open the dividers between the rooms, and you can have one long balcony shared between the family; this is an easy way to come and go between cabins without going out into the public hallway.  

Yes, it was small, but we knew what we were getting into -- if someone was paying for my room, I'd be thrilled with it.  

21 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

... The biggest issue I found was for getting ready throughout the day (showers, etc.)  Because of the one small bathroom, it does add a lot of additional time to that aspect of your day.

Try to book your rooms near the gym, and half your crew can shower /use the bathroom in the gym.  If that's not possible, book a room near public rest rooms.  

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Three balconies for the adults, one interior across the hall for the four kids. 

Possibly lower price than two Junior Suites and a balcony cabin. Would have to price it out on your specific cruise. 

Now that sounds like my kind of holiday! I don’t think the parents would go for it as the kids are a bit too young to be on their own unfortunately. But that is creative for sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

It will be tight, but not unbearable.  I used to cruise with four in an inside stateroom, which is smaller and never regretted it while we were there.  Heck, I have even done 5 in an inside stateroom with Carnival (3 teenagers) and it was still doable and those staterooms are even tinier than RC! How much time are you going to spend in the room other than sleeping?  The biggest issue I found was for getting ready throughout the day (showers, etc.)  Because of the one small bathroom, it does add a lot of additional time to that aspect of your day.

That is encouraging to hear for sure. I suppose with the balcony a couple people could be sitting outside while the others are getting ready and so forth. Using the outdoor space in that way would really be helpful. And yes we won’t be in the room that much anyway from the looks of this ship!

My son and daughter in law did a Central Park balcony with 2 kids aged 4 and 9 with no issues. 

They actually liked the balcony as they could sit out there and listen to the music coming up from central park while the kids slept.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Try to book your rooms near the gym, and half your crew can shower /use the bathroom in the gym.  If that's not possible, book a room near public rest rooms.  

I don't believe Oasis class ship have public showers in the gym/spa.  Most other ship classes do and for those ships the gym/spa showering is a great idea. 

M

5 hours ago, Subman738 said:

My son and daughter in law did a Central Park balcony with 2 kids aged 4 and 9 with no issues. 

They actually liked the balcony as they could sit out there and listen to the music coming up from central park while the kids slept.

Thanks that's very encouraging to hear!

We are currently in a junior suite on the Wonder, and I love the room. It is just Hubby and I, but I think it would work well for a family of four. I am also trying to plan a cruise with daughter and family but have decided to do one of the other Oasis-class ships, the suite prices on Wonder are too pricey. 

75C21C4B-30C2-42CF-87B7-246BECBD9D2C.jpeg

C333E0E5-4F52-4A02-AB2D-B4B339C11E61.jpeg

AC5BE198-358C-48FD-B41D-B5A4F79F278E.jpeg

8C5C156E-D16C-47D7-8E85-36C499FCE3B7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 8:03 PM, Wendylet said:

There is a family balcony stateroom or two on Wonder if you can book it enough in advance.  There are bunk beds, a regular bed and a couch.  It gives more space and is not much more expensive than a regular balcony.  Comfortable for two kids and two adults.  For us we just all crammed in a balcony when kids were little and they shared the pull out sofa...

Just now, topanga49er said:

There is a family balcony stateroom or two on Wonder if you can book it enough in advance.  There are bunk beds, a regular bed and a couch.  It gives more space and is not much more expensive than a regular balcony.  Comfortable for two kids and two adults.  For us we just all crammed in a balcony when kids were little and they shared the pull out sofa...

Also,you can probably catch one of the "kids sail free" deals...