Cheapest way to use your smartphone internationally

longterm

I found this on "The Points Guy" last year, but could not find it in a search just now.  I found it very helpful using eSIMs for the first time on our UK and European trips last year.  It sums up alot of the discussion in this thread in a simple to understand and use way--even for non-techie me!  I've printed it out and carry it with me, then pull it out while waiting at baggage claim to switch over to the international eSIM.  It has worked for me, but as always YMMV. 

The secret lies in the settings – Using eSIMs

Once you're abroad, the first step is to make sure both of your SIM cards are activated and connected.  On iPhones, you'll see two rows of network status bars in the top right-hand corner of the display, which indicates that you are connected to two networks.

Going into settings and clicking through to the cellular tab will give you the details of your individual SIM cards.  You'll want to make sure your primary (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) number and your international provider are listed as "on.”

From there, you'll want to change the primary cellular data line to your international provider and turn off cellular data switching.  By doing this, you're telling your iPhone to exclusively use data with your international provider, which will avoid any charges for internet access with your primary U.S. carrier.  (If you want to be extra sure you're not charged for data from your U.S. provider, you can also turn off data roaming on your primary line by tapping on your phone number on the previous screen.)

You can then change your default voice line to your international network, too.  Now, you'll still be connected to both your international and your domestic phone numbers — but your outbound calls, texts, and data will be routed through your international provider.

However, the beauty of dual SIM is that you'll still be connected to your domestic phone number in the background.  You'll still receive phone calls and texts, but you won't be charged for a $10-a-day pass unless you answer them.

Receiving calls and texts is free with AT&T and Verizon regardless of where you are, as confirmed to TPG by spokespersons for both carriers.  Answering calls or texts will trigger a $10 pass, but if you leave them unanswered, you won't be charged any fees with your U.S. carrier.

Now, sometimes you really need to answer an urgent call or text. To ensure you don't initiate a $10 international package, be sure to ignore the call and then return it using data, perhaps via FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp, which will use the internet access provided by your (cheaper) international provider.  To be sure your WhatsApp calls will be free, put your phone in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on.  Make your calls over Wi-Fi to eliminate your cell provider from the process.

If you can't place the call using one of the internet calling options, then you can connect to Wi-Fi and use Wi-Fi calling to make your phone call.  Look for the "AT&T Wi-Fi" or "VZW Wi-Fi" status in the network bar to confirm that you're connected to Wi-Fi before placing your call.  (Wi-Fi calling to U.S. numbers is usually included with most domestic unlimited plans.  Be sure to check the specifics of your package though.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I realize I am responding to a post from a few pages back, but I wanted to clarify to others with Verizon that some Verizon Unlimited plans do include hotspot tethering.  The cheapest unlimited plan doesn't but the others do.  We had ours set up so my husband's phone had the hotspot ability, while my phone - the one that gets all the 2FA texts - was on the cheaper plan.  That way we could leave his plugged in in a corner while I used my phone and he used his tablet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

If I understand you correctly, you have two lines on the Magenta MAX 55+ plan (or are you getting some other discount to get to $45?). The two line cost of Fi is $55 per per person plus tax. Even so, the T-Mobile plan is cheaper.

A must for me is tethering / hotspot. I do all my CC posts, emails, and other correspondence from my notebook computer. I cannot stand typing with my thumbs. I also process my photos on my notebook before uploading them to the cloud. As best I can tell, T-Mobile does not support tethering / hotspot internationally. If so, that's a deal breaker for me.

When comparing cost I should have indicated T-Mobile's Magenta MAX 55+ plan for one line is $65.00 per month including tax.

We used tethering in the Caribbean at no additional cost.  T-Mobile doesn't say anything about international tethering on its website...at least I couldn't find it.  I Tweeted T-Mobile for clarification and their response was that it is in fact included.  We don't bring our laptops, but we do have our iPhones and iPads with us and, like you, prefer a larger screen to work with.

• Like 1

For anyone considering the purchase of an Airalo eSIM, you might want to take note of the email response below I received regarding the issue I experienced in Gibraltar and Ponta Delgada.  The troubleshooting instructions may come in handy if you should experience the same. 

Hi Lew,

Thanks for getting back to us. We apologize for the delayed response due to a high number of requests. You can contact us via online chat, our response might be faster.

We do have some basic troubleshooting steps as below. For local networks, it's different in every country so please check on our site.

Please do the following:
- Disable your mainline, WiFi, and VPN (if you are using one) for the time being. Just let the eSIM be enabled for mobile data.
- go to Settings>>Cellular>>Network Selection. Disable "Automatic" and manually connect (_please check for local network on our site___) to in the network selection. This helps to stay with the network.
- kindly set the speed to 3G only *(or 4G/LTE ONLY). We are checking if the area has a 3G connection more stable than the LTE one. (You can set this back once the connection is stable)

Please ensure that you toggle Airplane mode on for 1-3 minutes before toggling back off, or restart the device with the same waiting time, whenever there are new changes. This will help jumpstart the connection with the new settings.

We value your business and want you to have the best experience possible. We have added $5.00 in

Airmoney credit, so you can use it toward the purchase of a new eSIM or a top-up. 

Airmoney doesn't expire and this will allow you the chance to use our service again in the future. 

We would love the opportunity to turn this experience around for you.

Please let us know if have any questions or require further assistance. We are here for you!

Warm regards,

Airalo Support

airalo.com
 support@airalo.com

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

We used tethering in the Caribbean at no additional cost.  T-Mobile doesn't say anything about international tethering on its website...at least I couldn't find it.  I Tweeted T-Mobile for clarification and their response was that it is in fact included.  We don't bring our laptops, but we do have our iPhones and iPads with us and, like you, prefer a larger screen to work with.

I see that AT&T has a "cruising plan," but it's pretty awful if you need to do any data transfers. for 30 days and $100, you can make unlimited calls and texts, but only 200MB of data, which is a nothing burger. If you're using your iPhone for photos, and use iCloud to back them up to the cloud, you can eat up 200MB in a few days, and then every extra MB is $2/each. 

It'll be interesting to see how much data I eat up in 21 days in Italy next month.

6 minutes ago, longterm said:

I see that AT&T has a "cruising plan," but it's pretty awful if you need to do any data transfers. for 30 days and $100, you can make unlimited calls and texts, but only 200MB of data, which is a nothing burger. If you're using your iPhone for photos, and use iCloud to back them up to the cloud, you can eat up 200MB in a few days, and then every extra MB is $2/each. 

It'll be interesting to see how much data I eat up in 21 days in Italy next month.

Can you turn on and off the iCloud function so that you are only backing up when using the ship's Wifi?

54 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

Can you turn on and off the iCloud function so that you are only backing up when using the ship's Wifi?

You *can* but it's really not the way to use it; it really needs to be on all the time. Better to just put the phone in airplane mode if you don't want to sync to the cloud. Otherwise, when you turn off iCloud syncing, you're no longer syncing not just photos, but contacts, calendar, anything that uses iCloud syncing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MELSMOM47 said:

The easiest method is to limit photo syncing to Wi-Fi.  Go to Settings → Photos → Cellular Data → Turn off cellular data to limit photo syncing to Wi-Fi.

30 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

The easiest method is to limit photo syncing to Wi-Fi.  Go to Settings → Photos → Cellular Data → Turn off cellular data to limit photo syncing to Wi-Fi.

Which is fine if you know you'll have wifi on a regular basis, but on our upcoming trip we'll be in Tuscany in a variety of accommodations (including an agritourisma, which is essentially a farm somewhere in Tuscany), so I don't know what sort of wi-fi I can expect. 

On a Viking cruise, one has wi-fi every day (such as it is), so syncing can happen that way; this all becomes more an issue if you're traveling in small towns, or staying in smaller hotels where wi-fi might not be available. We're going to do a 2-week Scotland Rick Steves tour, then jump onto a Viking ship for the British Isles Explorer cruise, so I don't know what the first 2 weeks will be like.

This is why I  got a USB2GO device that plugs into my Android cell phone power port.  I manually backed up the day's photos to a USB stick.  The cloud backup eventually happened but meanwhile I  had a backup.

Does iPhone support USB2GO?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Which plan? Please provide a link.

Am interested in this, as well.  After seeing the original post, I did a cursory look and couldn't find this on the Verizon website.  

23 hours ago, longterm said:

I wonder if it was because the networks available in those 2 sites were not the one that Airalo uses...

Below are two screenshots I took prior to getting off the ship in Ponta Delgada.  I know we experienced good service with Vodafone in other ports.  I tried to manually connect to MEO and NOS without success.

The checkmark next to Vodafone P led me to believe I was connected: however, I was not.

IMG_1311.jpeg.5613c9f74bcca7c3acfbf2ec04894866.jpeg  IMG_1310.jpeg.2bc39cd6bde26163d1bc81d1c7a33de8.jpeg

On 4/17/2023 at 10:02 AM, -Lew- said:

When comparing cost I should have indicated T-Mobile's Magenta MAX 55+ plan for one line is $65.00 per month including tax.

And just for comparison, T-Mobile's Magenta Max 55+ plan (which is what we have ) is $90 per month for 2 lines, including all taxes and fees, for unlimited text, talk and high speed data.  The plan includes unlimited text and talk in both Canada and Mexico, with 5GB of high speed data (per line), and reduced speed after 5GB. For other international calling, it's unlimited text, up to 5GB (per line) of high speed data, then unlimited data low speed, and talk at $0.25/minute in 215 countries.  It includes 40 GB of high speed mobile hotspot data  (per line), then unlimited mobile hotspot data at 3G over 40 GB.  The plan also includes WiFi calling.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

When I go into my iPhone ‘cellular data’ there is an option in blue ‘convert to eSim’. What would be the difference in doing this than purchasing eSim from an outside source? I am with ATT of that makes any difference 

Don't hold me to this as I'm no longer an AT&T Cellular customer and my old iPhone X is not eSIM capable, so it doesn't have that option.  It appears you have an eSIM capable iPhone and the feature you describe may allow you to replace the physical SIM in your phone with an eSIM.  After doing that you may be able to remove the physical SIM and, perhaps, install an eSIM for use while traveling internationally.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CONFIRM THE ABOVE WITH AT&T BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE "CONVERT TO eSIM."

If your iPhone will accommodate an eSIM in addition to the physical SIM, there may be no need to do the conversion.  My iPhone 14 Pro has no physical SIM and can support up to eight eSIMs.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, dd57 said:

This is why I  got a USB2GO device that plugs into my Android cell phone power port.  I manually backed up the day's photos to a USB stick.  The cloud backup eventually happened but meanwhile I  had a backup.

Does iPhone support USB2GO?

There are flash devices that can be used for backing up iPhones; I see one at Best Buy, for example, and I'm sure there are tons of other options. 

Rumor has it that Apple will move to USB-C in September with the iPhone 15, which means any flash drive will work, even if it's a USB, with just a simple USB to USB-C adapter.

11 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. I am buying a new phone 14 before the trip so will wait to figure this all out, so good to know it supports up to 8 eSims. So when you travel do you purchase an eSim for it such as European eSim?

Yes, download Airalo (or one of the other eSIM apps, but I recommend Airalo), and purchase the European plan that suits your needs. If you do use up the available data, you can always top it off with more data, for very little money. 

We're headed to Tuscany in about 4 weeks and I'll be buying an Airalo eSIM for Italy; on our next trip (Viking British Isles Explorer and a 2-week Rick Steves in Scotland), I'll buy the European eSIM, which will cover the UK and Norway, but apparently will not work in the Shetland Islands or Orkney Islands (probably don't have the cell providers that the eSIM uses).

9 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. I am buying a new phone 14 before the trip so will wait to figure this all out, so good to know it supports up to 8 eSims. So when you travel do you purchase an eSim for it such as European eSim?

Last fall while I was still with AT&T I did purchase an eSIM for our Med cruise.  It worked quite well except in Gibraltar and the Azores.  If I were still with AT&T I would likely do it again; however, I'm now with T-Mobile where one of the benefits is free international data and texts and 25 cents per minute calls.  You can easily get around that fee if you use WhatsApp for calling.

If you're going to purchase a new iPhone, I strongly suggest you investigate T-Mobile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Last fall while I was still with AT&T I did purchase an eSIM for our Med cruise.  It worked quite well except in Gibraltar and the Azores.  If I were still with AT&T I would likely do it again; however, I'm now with T-Mobile where one of the benefits is free international data and texts and 25 cents per minute calls.  You can easily get around that fee if you use WhatsApp for calling.

If you're going to purchase a new iPhone, I strongly suggest you investigate T-Mobile.

We're thinking about it; I'm probably going to get an iPhone 15 Pro Max for the periscope camera, which will [reportedly] go up to 6x optical zoom, which equates to 210mm on a standard physical 35mm zoom lens. 

Now that we're in our late-late-late 30s, we could get their old-people plan and spend a lot less, but having been with AT&T since 2007, I'm hesitant to make the leap. Any misgivings at all for you?

38 minutes ago, longterm said:

We're thinking about it; I'm probably going to get an iPhone 15 Pro Max for the periscope camera, which will [reportedly] go up to 6x optical zoom, which equates to 210mm on a standard physical 35mm zoom lens. 

Now that we're in our late-late-late 30s, we could get their old-people plan and spend a lot less, but having been with AT&T since 2007, I'm hesitant to make the leap. Any misgivings at all for you?

No misgivings at all...but I should provide a bit of background...

We switched from Verizon to AT&T in order to take advantage of the iPhone late in 2009 when AT&T entered the Vermont market by buying out a minor cell provider.  For the past few years a cruise buddy has been touting the benefits of T-Mobile, but although I would have switched in a minute, I was hesitant due to T-Mobile's poor coverage here.

T-Mobile has increased and upgraded their coverage to 5G here over the last year, so after I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro I took advantage of T-Mobile's Network Test Drive.  During my test I didn't experience a location where coverage was less than excellent, so I went ahead and switched to T-Mobile.

In 32 days cruising the Caribbean this past winter I had good coverage everywhere which was a critical test.  I'm hoping for the same this fall in Europe.  T-Mobile provides 5GB of high speed international data per billing period, then throttles back a bit.  I don't foresee going over that limit, but if I do and am not satisfied with the speed I can always add an eSIM.

If you do purchase a new iPhone, you might want to do that with AT&T.  T-Mobile may pay off your new phone when you bring it over to them.  Worth checking with them first though.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

If you do purchase a new iPhone, you might want to do that with AT&T.  T-Mobile may pay off your new phone when you bring it over to them.  Worth checking with them first though.

We went ahead and made the switch; I just finished with T-Mobile, and they'll be sending a couple of SIMs for our existing phones (which we can use with T-Mobile). I'll get up to $800 to pay off my iPhone 14 Pro, so that's really good; plus, they'll give me $150 if I transfer my Apple Watch as well, which I'll do--cell service for it is only $10/month.

Total cost is $100/month for 2 phones, then an additional $10 when I move the watch over next week. They send out physical SIMs, then once I've installed them, I change over to eSIMs. 

This looks to be at least $50/month cheaper than our current AT&T plans, plus we get intl. data and texting, which will be handy. I also like that we can make intl. calls if we need to, for only 25 cents a minute.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:12 PM, loriva said:

I found this on "The Points Guy" last year, but could not find it in a search just now.  I found it very helpful using eSIMs for the first time on our UK and European trips last year.  It sums up alot of the discussion in this thread in a simple to understand and use way--even for non-techie me!  I've printed it out and carry it with me, then pull it out while waiting at baggage claim to switch over to the international eSIM.  It has worked for me, but as always YMMV. 

The secret lies in the settings – Using eSIMs

Once you're abroad, the first step is to make sure both of your SIM cards are activated and connected.  On iPhones, you'll see two rows of network status bars in the top right-hand corner of the display, which indicates that you are connected to two networks.

Going into settings and clicking through to the cellular tab will give you the details of your individual SIM cards.  You'll want to make sure your primary (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) number and your international provider are listed as "on.”

From there, you'll want to change the primary cellular data line to your international provider and turn off cellular data switching.  By doing this, you're telling your iPhone to exclusively use data with your international provider, which will avoid any charges for internet access with your primary U.S. carrier.  (If you want to be extra sure you're not charged for data from your U.S. provider, you can also turn off data roaming on your primary line by tapping on your phone number on the previous screen.)

You can then change your default voice line to your international network, too.  Now, you'll still be connected to both your international and your domestic phone numbers — but your outbound calls, texts, and data will be routed through your international provider.

However, the beauty of dual SIM is that you'll still be connected to your domestic phone number in the background.  You'll still receive phone calls and texts, but you won't be charged for a $10-a-day pass unless you answer them.

Receiving calls and texts is free with AT&T and Verizon regardless of where you are, as confirmed to TPG by spokespersons for both carriers.  Answering calls or texts will trigger a $10 pass, but if you leave them unanswered, you won't be charged any fees with your U.S. carrier.

Now, sometimes you really need to answer an urgent call or text. To ensure you don't initiate a $10 international package, be sure to ignore the call and then return it using data, perhaps via FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp, which will use the internet access provided by your (cheaper) international provider.  To be sure your WhatsApp calls will be free, put your phone in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on.  Make your calls over Wi-Fi to eliminate your cell provider from the process.

If you can't place the call using one of the internet calling options, then you can connect to Wi-Fi and use Wi-Fi calling to make your phone call.  Look for the "AT&T Wi-Fi" or "VZW Wi-Fi" status in the network bar to confirm that you're connected to Wi-Fi before placing your call.  (Wi-Fi calling to U.S. numbers is usually included with most domestic unlimited plans.  Be sure to check the specifics of your package though.)

Thank you... Oh the phone must be unlocked? Or locked phone is OK, As in an iPhone 13 and above I am asking to.