How safe is Cozumel?

Harley167

1 hour ago, Harley167 said:

We are sailing in may on Carnival out of New Orleans. Is Cozumel safe enough to grab a taxi on your own and go to Chankanaab for the day?Or do you suggest a tour from the cruise ship?

Yes, independently or through the ship. 

There has been an increase in assassinations in the last couple of years but they are targeted, not aimed at tourists.

Of course just like anywhere you can get caught in the crossfire

Cruise ship excursions to Chankanaab are generally via a group taxi van. We have been both ways. Sometimes it is cheaper to take ship’s excursion when they are offering a sale.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Only thing to add is, the Chank tour listed on our cruise (on the Glory out of NOLA) is "at leisure" which means transportation not provided, and you need to take a taxi on your own anyway.

You can get the same package as Carnival is selling for over $30 less per person.

We were considering going to Chank as well, and had looked into it already. Currently we're leaning towards Playa Mia, but haven't decided yet.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Only thing to add is, the Chank tour listed on our cruise (on the Glory out of NOLA) is "at leisure" which means transportation not provided, and you need to take a taxi on your own anyway.

You can get the same package as Carnival is selling for over $30 less per person.

We were considering going to Chank as well, and had looked into it already. Currently we're leaning towards Playa Mia, but haven't decided yet.

Are you sure it doesn’t include taxi transport? Generally it just means you aren’t in a fixed schedule. As I said from Royal the transport included taxi van.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you sure it doesn’t include taxi transport? Generally it just means you aren’t in a fixed schedule. As I said from Royal the transport included taxi van.

The description of the tour is vague on this point:

Good to Know: Children 5 and under are free! Tour is at your own leisure. You will need to take a taxi and present their ticket once at the location.

But, the in the reviews people said they had to pay for their own taxi.

I live in NOLA. The crimes you read about take place in parts of the city that no tourist will ever see. My wife and I spend lots of time in the French Quarter, and always feel safe. There are trouble spots. Bourbon and Canal, for one. Things on Bourbon get a bit dicey after midnight, but there is very little on Bourbon that we find attractive. Lots of music clubs, most with no cover, in the Marigny area. Avoid areas where there are no other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, Harley167 said:

Thanks for the feedback all! And the heads up about the tour. I think we will just do it on our own!

Solo female traveler here. I did this on my own a couple weeks ago. Felt safe.

Bought ticket for the park online and printed it out at home. At the park entrance, it was very quick and easy to go to the ticket booth and have them scan the QR code. Big savings vs. cruise excursion. 

I went to enjoy the beach chairs and do a lot of snorkeling with my own equipment. Nice large snorkeling area right from shore with many staircases for entry. Warm, clear waters full of fish.

My tip for anyone using the taxis is to watch out for cab drivers trying to rip you off. The taxis seemed very clean and well organized, definitely nice to use, but I made the mistake of not talking about the fare up front, and realize one of the drivers overcharged me a few bucks.

• Like 1