Picture-A-Week 2023 - Week 13

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 26 and Sunday, April 2.

Two weeks until Easter! I'm sure everyone has their Easter tree set up and decorated and their houses adorned with Easter lights by now. Take some photos and share them with us!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Sunday, 2/4/23. Australian F1 Grand Prix here in Melbourne. Race starts in about 2 hours.

The Albert Park Track is right across the Bay from where I live, so car noise can be interesting.mostly depends on the wind, still non at the moment. We had some type of warm up at 8am and heard it clearly. Hear what happens in the next while.

Basic area of the track, to the right of Station Pier.

Spitfire3.thumb.jpg.745f25774fe3ad8cbd21480962067c55.jpg

Lots of things flying around. A spitfire and a helicopter.

Spitfire1.thumb.jpg.87e474bd6889ae518fb40775db1641e7.jpg

Spitfire2.thumb.jpg.26528636a9f80196327bfb6e67cf1673.jpg

• Like 4

On Palm Sunday, we went up to the High Desert to listen to Pastor Dan's message. Here you see him channeling Tim the Enchanter, warning the congregation that Sin is a foul beast with “sharp, big pointy teeth and a mean streak a mile wide!” Ok. That was an homage to April Fool’s weekend. His message actually was about sin and was an insightful warning of how easy it is to fall into a pattern of actions and practices that are harmful, both physically and spiritually. I never heard sin presented allegorically as ranch dressing, but it worked. The sermon was clever and entertaining while getting the point across in a relatable and memorable way. Afterwards there was a Feast of Food Trucks to help the congregation recover from 40 days of fasting. Amen!

Beware!

2023-13Beware.thumb.jpg.8ede557b08a785ecec3a037b76e5d82f.jpg

Dave

For anyone interested, the image of son Dan was shot a1/125s - f/5.6 - ISO3200 in APS-C mode at about 150mm equivalent and is slightly cropped for straightening. Other than light processing for noise, it is straight out-of-camera JPEG with no exposure or color correction. I'm really enjoying the new tool.

• Like 3

Saturday April 1st was a wetlands day again for me - it's getting sticky hot again around here with temps at 89 degrees and humidity hovering in the 80% range, with off-and-on rainshowers throughout the day (this is pretty much what it's going to be like for the next 7 months - but hotter!).  Fortunately it's also pool weather, so after the wetlands visits, I can jump in the pool and cool off.  Here's what I got:

A male painted bunting, one of our more colorful little birds:

original.jpg

A raccoon doing a little clean-up scavenging - no, it didn't kill the moorhen who's feathers and bits were littering the levee -a hawk had done that deed.  But the raccoon decided to see if there were any meaty leftovers the hawk didn't want - like the head and legs that the hawk always leaves behind:

original.jpg

A usually elusive bird lurking deep in the reeds - I've had a few shots of them over the past few threads - this one unusually had walked right up on the levee in the open - a Wilson's snipe:

original.jpg

Like last week's thread, it's still the time of hatchlings and chicks all over the wetlands.  This time, I heard a bunch of peeping, and saw a boat tailed grackle fly into a nearby tree, then fly out again - threading my lens through the leaves, I was able to sneak a long-zoom peek at a grackle chick:
original.jpg

This ugly/cute/so ugly it's cute thing is a wood stork chick.  I didn't need any fancy angles to get a shot of it - the nest is hanging directly over the walkway, enough that you have to walk AROUND the nest to avoid bumping into it.  The wood stork parent, and the chicks inside the nest, are very non-chalant about people 2 feet away staring at them - they just stare right back!:
original.jpg

This marsh rabbit doesn't mind wandering around in shallow water to get at all the tasty greenery to eat:

original.jpg

In last week's thread I shared some shots of tricolored herons hatching from the egg.  Well, here they are a week later - two of the siblings chilling together:

original.jpg

• Like 5