Help! Champagne emergency!!!

Notamegagirl

We’re totally doing it for the Veuve but we drink pretty much any other booze too (yes yes, we’re not skinny- surprise) and appreciate all the “good stuff”.

Good to hear that the Pommery Rosé is still on. A VERY nice drop and can’t wait to enjoy this with dinner.

18 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Looking at post history it was the Spirit out of Auckland. But it’s quite clear it was not a serious cry for “help” from someone having a sudden champagne emergency. Just an exuberant pre-boarding “happy dance” post. AKA a waste of our time. But the discussion has taken on a life of its own. 

I’ve not been on the Spirit since the refurb, but (like many older ship), they are very unlikely to have Veuve in the Atrium bar as it is likely to just be a coffee place.

Hence why specifying the ship was so important.

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure if the Louis XIII is even included in the up level drink package.

No it isn’t.

There was a bottle at the wine bar on our last cruise and whilst enjoying many glasses of Veuve there we did discuss the Cognac and how often people buy some. It certainly wasn’t included in the package.

The answer to how often they sell any was, as you’d expect, not very often. However I don’t think that your experience is that unusual. It seems that when they do sell some then it can be a few shots so I imagine it is individuals, or a group, getting carried away or showing off.

The outrageous price of cognac is one of reasons I'm glad I don't drink that (or the ultra premium whiskies, for that matter). My weakness is for champagne, but I'm not that fussy about which brand. If it's got bubbles, that's usually enough for me.

• Like 2

The PPBP has not really been on my radar, but up until last year it clearly stated that it included "all beverages by the glass". I'm sure they were not pouring the Louis XIII for free, but I wonder how they justified that?

Under the current terms, any brand that they say is in the "Connoisseur Collection" is excluded. I hear that FDR's final wish before retiring is adding Bailey's to that list.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The outrageous price of cognac is one of reasons I'm glad I don't drink that (or the ultra premium whiskies, for that matter). My weakness is for champagne, but I'm not that fussy about which brand. If it's got bubbles, that's usually enough for me.

I’m the same with Bourbon, my preferred drink.  Over ice….No mixers!

Buffalo Trace is my “go to”.  But, it’s hard to find around here, and I’m a 2 hour drive from the place it’s distilled.

I can get it all day, every day on any NCL ship.  And, it’s included on the Drink Package.  I’m all good!

Cognac?  I know some people like it.  But, I’m not one of them.  That $350 shot I had could have been MILLER LITE for all I knew.

The rest?  Bombay in my martinis works just fine.  Tito’s in my Bloody Mary works great, too.  All included!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Buffalo Trace is my “go to”.  But, it’s hard to find around here, and I’m a 2 hour drive from the place it’s distilled.

We went there for a tour and tasting a few years ago. If you're in SW OH, you could make a trip down there one day and stop along the Bourbon trail. Side note: we're going to Cincinnati in 2 days (sadly, for a family funeral), but plan to have copious amounts of something we don't have in Northern VA, that being Cincinnati chili!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

The PPBP has not really been on my radar, but up until last year it clearly stated that it included "all beverages by the glass". I'm sure they were not pouring the Louis XIII for free, but I wonder how they justified that?

Yep- when we booked it was still “anything by the glass is included”. When I first heard that it isn’t anymore I got really cranky.

But hey, I scored an upgrade to the Haven earlier today and that has somehow mellowed me a bit. But on our next NCL cruise (in a year an a bit from now), we will probably toss up carefully whether the Plus package is really worth it. For us, the French champagne and the Red Bull will probably still make it but it seems that it’s not what it was anymore.

It would be interesting to see over time whether this is something specific to NCL or not. I wonder if other lines are also going to raise prices while limiting choice. Personally, I wouldn't doubt it. I hesitate to say why, particularly due to CC's rules on discussing politics, but let's just say that with the benefit of hindsight, some decisions were made over the last several years that are still having a negative impact on the economy, and lines like NCL are trying to find creative ways of staying in business.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We went there for a tour and tasting a few years ago. If you're in SW OH, you could make a trip down there one day and stop along the Bourbon trail. Side note: we're going to Cincinnati in 2 days (sadly, for a family funeral), but plan to have copious amounts of something we don't have in Northern VA, that being Cincinnati chili!

Yay…welcome.   So sorry to hear that the visit is for such a sad occasion.

Opening Day is tomorrow.  The city literally shuts down for the first day of the Reds season (although they aren’t very good….but the Bengals are great).  Hope you don’t get caught in the parades and hoopla.  But, if you do, make the best of it.  It’s a fun time.

Have done the Bourbon Trail in the past.  Last time, before the COVID shutdown.  Need to do it again.  Hopefully, will go this summer, keep traveling to the Corvette Museum for a visit, which isn’t far from some of the Distilleries.

Tough, given the circumstances, but enjoy your stay. 

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yay…welcome.   So sorry to hear that the visit is for such a sad occasion.

Opening Day is tomorrow.  The city literally shuts down for the first day of the Reds season (although they aren’t very good….but the Bengals are great).  Hope you don’t get caught in the parades and hoopla.  But, if you do, make the best of it.  It’s a fun time.

Have done the Bourbon Trail in the past.  Last time, before the COVID shutdown.  Need to do it again.  Hopefully, will go this summer, keep traveling to the Corvette Museum for a visit, which isn’t far from some of the Distilleries.

Tough, given the circumstances, but enjoy your stay. 

Thank you. We'll be in the Deer Park area on Saturday, the rest of the time across the river in Covington. 🙂

1 hour ago, hawkeyetlse said:

I'm sure they were not pouring the Louis XIII for free, but I wonder how they justified that?

It's an "experience." They don white gloves and pour the tequila into a fancy glass so everyone around knows you're "experiencing" an expensive drink. 

Pouring cognac, not tequila.  But agreed, there is a whole "experience" that is associated with Louis.  One time a inexperienced bar tender at my favorite cigar bar served a rocks pour of Louis to a few customers and charged them for the regular 1 Oz pour... needless to say she got in trouble.... about 2k given away. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's an "experience." They don white gloves and pour the tequila into a fancy glass so everyone around knows you're "experiencing" an expensive drink. 

The Haven Bartender did just that.  Of course, the "white glove treatment" was lost on the overly happy participants.

There are those who love Pappy VanWinkel Bourbon.  It's expensive, if you can find it.  Is it better than the run of the mill Buffalo Trace Bourbon that I like?  They are distilled at the same company.

A little different tasting?  Yes!  Better?  No!

Jefferson Reserve is a very nice bourbon, too.  They have barrels that were "matured" on ships, at sea.  Allegedly, the salt water and the slight rocking of the ships helped make the bourbon taste better.  It doesn't.  But, boy do the bourbon "snobs" claim it is better. Of course, the bottles of those that have been at sea cost more than regular old Jefferson Reserve.  But, people will pay more for the story that goes with them.

Same for Louis XIII.  You're paying for the story.  Not the taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

If you have time, a few of my faves worth a visit that’s close to where you’re staying…

https://pompilios.com/

https://deefelicecafe.com/

https://www.newberrybroscoffee.com/

Dee Felice is legendary. I used to work at a restaurant in Covington back in the 90s and it was well known even back then. 🙂 Thanks for the recommendations! We're staying at an Airbnb run by a friend of mine, so we'll be cavorting with him part of the time.

• Like 1

Our choice to upgrade to the premium drinks is based purely on the veuve! We were on the Gem last year and (this may be something to do with tipping on every drink) I was able to get Veuve anywhere on the ship. My other half wont touch it so it was mainly by the glass but I was offered a bottle 

• Thanks 1

Wow, did not expect such responses. Boarded spirit a few days ago, alas no atrium bar; but spinnakers opens at 10:00am sea days. Plenty of glasses have been served, and seems readily available...stuck with + instead of looking & carrying on wine...Why I started this post, on epic in november the champagne was only available in mdr and martini bar after 4:30pm; and I prefer to do champagne brunch/snack days at sea or rainy ports. Champagne is a enhancement to my vacation...sparking seems to (have a) bite. 

Good news MDR service was good with glasses and even better with bottle at dinner(I chose red for dinning and a glass of bubbly to start)they left bottle on table and allowed me to take rest to room...nice.

Premium + red selection is not as good, but drinkable and worth not having to haul bottles on board that are cumbersome or can break...

Thank you again for everyone's advice and insight..What makes a great cruise is truly up to you and nice to have some real information for vacation expectations....thanks and happy cruising everyone...cheers🍷

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Let me set the scene.  The Haven Lounge on Breakaway, March 2022.  I was sitting at the bar with Priscilla, my wife when I noticed the bottle of Louis XIII Cognac on display.  I told her that just once in my life I have to taste it.  I have to see what makes it worth all the money.  Her answer to me was "Why not tonight?"  I told her that it was very cruel to joke about such a thing.  She said that she wasn't joking and that if I wanted to try it, I should get it!  Never have I loved her more that at that particular moment.  I placed my order with Sergio, our bartender.  He put on white gloves and served it to me in a crystal glass, on a silver tray, and instructed me on the proper way to drink it. (You don't just chug a cognac like Louis XIII!)  If you are not a cognac drinker you won't understand this.  It was a religious experience!  It warmed me from the tips of my toes to the top of my head!  And the taste stayed with me for over an hour.  I even put off smoking my evening cigar because I didn't want to spoil that flavor!  It was at that moment that I realized what "Living the good life" was all about!  I'm cruising in The Haven again in September, on Escape and hope to repeat the experience!

Elvis

On 3/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, graphicguy said:

The Haven Bartender did just that.  Of course, the "white glove treatment" was lost on the overly happy participants.

There are those who love Pappy VanWinkel Bourbon.  It's expensive, if you can find it.  Is it better than the run of the mill Buffalo Trace Bourbon that I like?  They are distilled at the same company.

A little different tasting?  Yes!  Better?  No!

Jefferson Reserve is a very nice bourbon, too.  They have barrels that were "matured" on ships, at sea.  Allegedly, the salt water and the slight rocking of the ships helped make the bourbon taste better.  It doesn't.  But, boy do the bourbon "snobs" claim it is better. Of course, the bottles of those that have been at sea cost more than regular old Jefferson Reserve.  But, people will pay more for the story that goes with them.

Same for Louis XIII.  You're paying for the story.  Not the taste.

• Like 5

On 3/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, Sydneyberlin said:

Well- just don’t find it helpful if people answer “why don’t you look for yourself”, it doesn’t help anyone but maybe that poster’s ego.

And when it comes to “real drama”, oh dear, there are plenty of posts on here where I just roll my eyes and think “people have problems”. But it will be an issue for the person asking, so why the nastiness.

People are also all different- for me personally, looking forward to the unlimited Veuve that I’ve paid top Dollars for by upgrading to the Premium Plus package and then there is none, is would indeed be a real issue for me, it would even make or break the cruise for us, I think (unless there’s a half way comparable alternative, we won’t die from unlimited Möet instead). On the other hand, some issues (like the ole whinge about the bathrooms on Epic or anything to do with kids’ activities and do on), I couldn’t care less about. But I fully understand if the people who do care about it, are really concerned. I’m not telling a mom who wonders about the opening hours of the kids club “why don’t you go and see on the ship yourself” either.

I agree about the 'ugly' responses occasionally and wonder why these people even read CC boards at all.  People aren't going to post unless they want to know the answer.  Soooo ... if you think it's a dumb/lazy question, or you don't have an answer, just MOVE ON.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:59 AM, Sydneyberlin said:

Well- first, you obviously are not French but only live there (not that I really care).

But more importantly: Have you ever tried to keep your glass filled in a MDR? Good luck, and that’s my whole point: It usually takes ages to even get your order in, let alone keeping “your glass filled”. What you are expecting is what maybe happens on a good airline’s business or first class but most definitely not in mainstream cruise line’s dining room. 

I certainly don’t want to make anyone’s life hell but I’ve paid for that premium package (and it’s not cheap!) so I’d like to get what I’ve paid for. 

It would seem to me that a) a big fat tip the first night and b) a chat with the Food & Beverage Manager might cut the waiting time a bit.

• Like 1

I'm about to take my third solo trip on NCL.

First trip, I upgraded the internet (on work as I needed to do the odd piece), purchases PP - they actually tried to talk me out of it at Guest Services but I explained on my own and enjoy a few glasses of champagne, whiskey and love soft drinks from a can!

They then launched FAS+ which I purchased for last trip and this one.

I tend to prefer champagne when eating, so was pleased to be able to get a bottle with breakfast the morning I upgraded - I may have slept in the sun a little later 🙂. Couldn't find it at any bars but wasn't really bothered.

I'd definitely feel I had been overcharged if I couldn't get Veuve / Moet with my meals - luckily I don't mind which - prefer Veuve - and it hasn't been a issue. 

Looking forward to seeing if I can actually take a bottle away from the dining table (I normally share it a glass with people after) and if I can order it with breakfast! 

• 2 weeks later...