Catalina fishing

Hello! Does anyone have recommendations for fishing in Catalina? Specifically, where can my people find someone to take them out in a boat fishing? They do see the big charters advertising online, but they are also interested in the possibility of finding someone with a boat when they get there that could still provide the gear and license, but for less than the prices of the big charters companies 

Does anyone have experience with finding such a fishing provider while docked in Catalina?

On 3/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, moonjelly said:

Specifically, where can my people find someone to take them out in a boat fishing? They do see the big charters advertising online, but they are also interested in the possibility of finding someone with a boat when they get there that could still provide the gear and license, but for less than the prices of the big charters companies 

Does anyone have experience with finding such a fishing provider while docked in Catalina?

Avalon is not really a fishing village-- much more of a resort community. There is not a ton of commercial fishing out of the small harbor which is mostly full of luxury yachts and pleasure craft belonging to folks visiting. I believe Two Harbors, on the other side of the island, may have something more but I don't know that for sure and you won't have enough time to get there and back in the course of a day long port visit. 

You can rent your own small boat (which I've done but not for fishing) and I believe they do provide gear for a fee, but as far as something more substantial you will most likely be stuck with the very few charter boats that actually offer fishing.

My brother in law was the fisher and when we went there a few years back he did have to arrange for his license separately, even though he was going on one of the charter boats. I didn't participate so not sure what he had to go through to get it but I think it was done in advance. 

Its a partial answer, but since no one else was chiming in I thought I would at least give you some of my limited first hand experience. 

• 1 month later...

Commercial fishing in CA is highly regulated.  The chance of finding what your are looking for is slim especially close to Avalon.  The normal M.O. for cruise ships is to buy up all the local vendors add 20% and sell it to the passengers.  I had a friend who ran a salmon fishing boat in Sitka and he refused to book with the cruise ships as it was such a rip off for the passengers.  If you really want to go fishing you would be better served by booking on the mainland with somebody pre-cruise.  

• 1 month later...

Much of the area around Catalina is covered by a Marine Protected Area and is either off limits to all fishing or highly regulated for both commercial and recreational fishing in the area. If you do go out need to find out what gear is approved and in which locations. The area is monitored by California Fish and Wildlife to insure compliance.