Belfast black cab tour: Cheaper than Viator's price?

fstuff1

44 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

What the heck does this mean?!

I think it means that the OP may manage to upset both communities at the same time!  The tours cover the Nationalist/Catholic areas in the Divis flats/Falls Road areas and the Loyalist/Protestant area of the Shankill road. The Nationalist community do not in general agree with the legitimacy of Northern Ireland hence a driver from this area would describe themselves as Irish but not Northern Irish. The Loyalist driver will most likely be happy to be described as Northern Irish or British but definitely not English!

A Google search shows lots of Black cab tours most of which suggest an unbiased view of the Troubles and the areas covered. How true this is I would not be sure. I'm not personally aware of any tour where the drivers/Guides are changed over when they cross between the different areas

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Anything cheaper than Viator?

Isn't everything else cheaper than Viator? After all, AIUI Viator doesn't run any tours - all it does is buy space on tours that other people run, and sell that space on at a markup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Belfast/world-famous-Black-cab-tour-of-Belfast-murals-and-peacewalls/d738-34160P13

Tour with 2 cab drivers.

One with northern Ireland driver, the other with England driver.

Get both sides of the story.

Anything cheaper than Viator?

Thx

OP, I don't see anything in your linked web page describing the tour where it says you will be getting 2 drivers with different perspectives on anything.

Regardless, I would suggest you book directly with a tour company.  Viator simply resells other companies' tours. You may be better off having direct communication with the actual tour company that provides the tour.  I googled "black cab tour Belfast" and found several results. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

OP, I don't see anything in your linked web page describing the tour where it says you will be getting 2 drivers with different perspectives on anything.

Regardless, I would suggest you book directly with a tour company.  Viator simply resells other companies' tours. You may be better off having direct communication with the actual tour company that provides the tour.  I googled "black cab tour Belfast" and found several results. 

hm.. someone told me about 2 driver tours in a black cab (one at a time). thought all the black cab tours did this.

whoops... sorry all.

now to do more searching

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, fstuff1 said:

do they pick you up from cruise port?

if not, how did you go to them? and how long did it take? (want to estimate which tour time to book.)

This was on a land based trip so I can’t answer that. We met them at a public building in downtown Belfast near where we were staying. I do believe they do pick up. They seemed very flexible particularly if you were doing a private tour. 

On 4/3/2023 at 12:12 AM, irvington said:

Black Taxi Tours - Cab Tours Belfast

We used this company and were very pleased. Our guide was Isaac and I would ask for him again.

We used this company and were very pleased. Our guide was Isaac and I would ask for him again.

It shows that the available tickets are 70.  Is that how many could be on a tour?

On 4/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, fstuff1 said:

do they pick you up from cruise port?

if not, how did you go to them? and how long did it take? (want to estimate which tour time to book.)

regarding the available tickets: I went last summer, June 2022. We were supposed to be (as a party of 3) in our own black cab. It was a Sunday and there was some sort of mixup and so we ended up having another couple in the cab with us, which worked totally fine. There was plenty of room for 5. This is an old fashioned London type black cab, with plenty of legroom. I know they have many drivers so 70 might be the max if everyone is pressed into service. There's no way you could be on a trip of 70 people because by definition you are in a black cab that has a max capacity of 6. Your driver gives you an interesting talk while he drives you around and when you get out of the cab at the different murals and sites. We got out at maybe 5 to 7 different places.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 9:09 PM, irvington said:

This was on a land based trip so I can’t answer that. We met them at a public building in downtown Belfast near where we were staying. I do believe they do pick up. They seemed very flexible particularly if you were doing a private tour. 

Just checked their website and it states, "Directly from and to the cruise ship at Belfast Port, Northern Ireland (Please note, there is an additional charge of £20 each way for cruise ship pickup and drop off)". Find this surcharge on top of the tour price of  £37 for 1 – 2 people very high and will continue researching alternate providers. 

Edited by WESTEAST

7 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Just checked their website and it states, "Directly from and to the cruise ship at Belfast Port, Northern Ireland (Please note, there is an additional charge of £20 each way for cruise ship pickup and drop off)". Find this surcharge on top of the tour price of  £37 for 1 – 2 people very high and will continue researching alternate providers. 

There's a $5 shuttle each way from pier to town.

I bought round trip but took Uber back because my walking tour ended 1 1/2 miles from shuttle pick up.

$17 uber from where I was to cruise pier

20 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

There's a $5 shuttle each way from pier to town.

I bought round trip but took Uber back because my walking tour ended 1 1/2 miles from shuttle pick up.

$17 uber from where I was to cruise pier

Thank you for this info. Found out that our cruise line offers a free shuttle to city centre (close to City Hall). Furthermore, decided on a walking tour - Troubles in Belfast with Experience Belfast Tours. It is 2.5 hours and is £20 each and has good reviews.  It also departs/ends at City Hall. Prefer walking versus driving around with a few stops in a shared cab. 

I am Belfast. I would recommend this company. They are the original company. They have been in business 50 years. I have been on the tour several times over the years with visitors.  https://taxitrax.com It looks like they can  pick you up at the cruise dock (I wouldn’t even call in a terminal lol ). The website says £6 to collect you. 

People asking about shuttles from the ship into the town. Every time there is a cruise here, there seems to be shuttles into the town. They park across from city hall in front of the Welcome Belfast shop. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:47 PM, WESTEAST said:

Thank you for this info. Found out that our cruise line offers a free shuttle to city centre (close to City Hall). Furthermore, decided on a walking tour - Troubles in Belfast with Experience Belfast Tours. It is 2.5 hours and is £20 each and has good reviews.  It also departs/ends at City Hall. Prefer walking versus driving around with a few stops in a shared cab. 

If you were also interested in a non-political walking tour in the town, there is a street art walking tour run by local artists  that is really cool. It only takes a couple hours. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 1:18 PM, GAAmum said:

If you were also interested in a non-political walking tour in the town, there is a street art walking tour run by local artists  that is really cool. It only takes a couple hours. 

Thank you. Can you share name/website?