Influencers onboard

zitsky

The worst are the ones who setup their camera on a table top tripod and proceed to film and describe every morsel they consume.  One of the most popular vloggers did this recently on MSC in YC and were told to stop filming because of so many complaints.  They made a huge federal case over it, stormed off the ship at the next port and got like 500,000 view$ on their channel.  They seem quite obnoxious on their YT videos.

One thing I do find interesting is some of the ship tour videos. A lot of the ones we watch, even current ones with full ships, the ship is really empty and it is daylight. So they are either one of the first on or they get lucky and everyone gets off the ship at ports. It is actually kind of weird. Perhaps X and other lines give these youtube channels special access for the tour videos, since it is really free advertising for them.

Edited by cgolf1

24 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

One thing I do find interesting is some of the ship tour videos. A lot of the ones we watch, even current ones with full ships, the ship is really empty and it is daylight. So they are either one of the first on or they get lucky and everyone gets off the ship at ports. It is actually kind of weird. Perhaps X and other lines give these youtube channels special access for the tour videos, since it is really free advertising for them.

I wonder about these cabin tours, some done by travel agencies.  Same thing.  They are advertising the product so they like the exposure.

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What I don’t understand is why people use speakerphone in public. I won’t ask anyone to stop though using their phone or stop blasting music. I ask management to ask them to stop. Too many psychos who get enraged. 

I know it is just crazy ,

I was in a waiting area with my mom and someone answer their phone and was on speakerphone, not a very interesting conversation 😉🤣

On 3/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

No, you don't have anything to explicitly worry about. No influencers will ruin your cruise, of that I'm pretty sure.

34 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

They do them on port days and often you see ones recorded in the middle of the night. I think it's pretty clear most of these influencers and TA companies don't want to inconvenience other cruise travellers, rightly so.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Liao said:

The worst are the ones who setup their camera on a table top tripod and proceed to film and describe every morsel they consume.  One of the most popular vloggers did this recently on MSC in YC and were told to stop filming because of so many complaints.  They made a huge federal case over it, stormed off the ship at the next port and got like 500,000 view$ on their channel.  They seem quite obnoxious on their YT videos.

Who was this? Why don't you just name the YouTuber so we can see the film?

55 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No one has a problem if people are considerate.  But if you are blasting your music at the pool or chatting with family at full volume at a restaurant without headphones I may ask you to turn it down.

If you want use of a space for your own benefit then ask management.  And no, just because someone has a YouTube channel it doesn’t mean that I care about it.

Sadly, what you're describing is a MUCH greater pattern of poor behavior in the general cruising (and regular) population and not tied to vloggers to any more or less of a degree. 😞 Poor passenger behavior is a chronic complaint here (in the X forum) and often why folks "advance" up the cruise line level from the lower tier "booze cruise" lines to the ultra-expensive but strongly disciplined lines.  

Challengingly, X is at the crossroads of the shift to get younger and/or more active folks on-board vs maintaining what in the past was calm, quiet, and peaceful cruising.  A sad example was the guy in the Solarium (maybe cruising alone) who spent hours speaking at a near shout (in the bubbling hot tub) to any and all folks who happened to join him in the tub.  No "inside voice". No "hushed library talking", but rather "I like to talk and I like to talk loudly" voice.  He wasn't a blogger. He wasn't on a phone. He wasn't taking selfies or making videos. What he was was in the Solarium for several hours every sea day behaving the same way.

Rude is rude is rude, and for every one example of a rude TikTok or vlogger, there are literally hundreds or thousands of rude non-TikTok or non-vloggers. 

I don't ever really feel the need to narrow down who SPECIFICALLY is rude, as I've encountered, as I am sure you have, rude folks of EVERY persuasion - race, creed, color, sex, nationality, career, income, age, etc..  I'd much rather have a nickel for every rude person I've encountered in a day or a year than $100 or $1,000 for rude TikTok/vloggers I've encountered anywhere.  

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 1

I don't mind influencers as a general rule - they serve an important purpose to help educate the public and, more importantly, give me a virtual cruise "fix" between my own sailings!  But I despise the ones who walk around narrating their every move.  I much prefer ones who film silently without big dramatics and then do voiceovers in editing.  This is much less intrusive to fellow passengers than someone wandering around the ship and buffet lines chatting away for all to hear.

The problem is that some people seem to think it rude to ask other people to not be rude!  You can do it politely.  And if they don’t stop maybe see if a staff member will talk to them.  Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  I don’t think influencers get to be rude because some guy somewhere was rude too.  Lowest common denominator.

I certainly have people or things I’m interested in.  Some people that inspire me.  But that said, I’ve never been a fan of celebrities anywhere.  (Oh I’ll wear what she wears.)

A fireman provides a service.  An influencer not so much,  I couldn’t care less that you have 100,000 followers.  Or 10 million.

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t think influencers get to be rude because some guy somewhere was rude too.  Lowest common denominator.

NO ONE should be rude.  That's common sense and common courtesy. And oddly, this 13 page (so far) thread hasn't shown that an "influencer" (or vlogger or TikTok star) is any different than any one else - more rude or less rude.  I think most of us have never had an incident with a rude "influencer" but we ALL have had countless (truly innumerable) encounters with rude non-influencers.  

Address the general population's rudeness, and that will make all of our lives much better - at home and/or at sea.  Simply focus on influencer behavior and that's not something that will benefit almost any of us.

5 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

NO ONE should be rude.  That's common sense and common courtesy. And oddly, this 13 page (so far) thread hasn't shown that an "influencer" (or vlogger or TikTok star) is any different than any one else - more rude or less rude.  I think most of us have never had an incident with a rude "influencer" but we ALL have had countless (truly innumerable) encounters with rude non-influencers.  

Address the general population's rudeness, and that will make all of our lives much better - at home and/or at sea.  Simply focus on influencer behavior and that's not something that will benefit almost any of us.

Well then we agree on something.  No one should be rude to other passengers.  

My definition of that means, no loud music at the pool on Bluetooth speakers, no loud phone or video calls in restaurants when others are trying to eat.  I believe someone already gave the example of an "influencer" holding up the buffet line.  You're surprised we haven't found more examples of rude influencers?  Perhaps we start keeping track.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well then we agree on something.  No one should be rude to other passengers.  

My definition of that means, no loud music at the pool on Bluetooth speakers, no loud phone or video calls in restaurants when others are trying to eat.  I believe someone already gave the example of an "influencer" holding up the buffet line.  You're surprised we haven't found more examples of rude influencers?  Perhaps we start keeping track.

I've had MANY folks on cruises hold up lines or do rude stuff in general. I haven't seen the need to keep track. I'm not sure why you would want to keep track of rude influencers but not rude men, or rude women, or rude Americans, or rude Canadians, or rude children, or rude redheads, etc...