Real-Time Preparation for My first Mediterranean Cruise

Sthrngary

2 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I know you plan meticulously so thus might be a little too late but we had the most amazing guide last year in Istanbul.   She was incredibly knowledgeable, personable,  could speak equally on a manner to make my wife comfortable and still answer my in depth and esoteric questions about history.   The best part was she had other guides she's friends with waiting in line for the mosques and we simply joined them at the front.  Less than a 5 minute wait when the line was 2 hours plus!  She even bought us lunch at a local culinary institute that teaches students to make traditional Turkish dishes.

Oh, did I mention that this private tour for 2 of us was just $100 for 8 hours?   She's absolutely amazing!  We really got lucky and it shows in depth research pays off.  

If you'd like, I can get her info from my wife as they stay in touch.   She's also mentioned in the shore excursion section here.  Her name was Ozi.

Love to gain the name and contact info.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, lborne said:

If you are flexible on dates and ports, it is always good to check what other ships will be in port with you.  Having 12,000 people at the same destination is not something I enjoy. 

I agree! Thank goodness it wasn’t Santorini!! 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, Sthrngary said:

Pre-Cruise Hotel Research for Athens, Greece: 

Our choice was The Barcelona EDITION Hotel.  Again, no cancellation fee, correct area, high-end hotel, and Marriott property.  The videos are the hotel were outstanding for the higher-level rooms as I would have expected for a 5-star hotel at this price point.  I would not have chosen this hotel unless I was confident of gaining an upgrade.  When I read reviews, I noticed the scores were 9.2 out of 10.  I dived deep to find out why folks were upset. To the person, it was they purchased an cheaper reservation, that was prepaid and had no cancellation option.  These kinds of reservations have consequences and are the reason for Travel Insurance.  Second was that the rooms were classy but small.  That is where the Marriott Status upgrade comes in. 

Stingray, Grand Bretagne is fantastic.  We had a giant balcony looking at the Acropolis before Nautica in July.  Great food, service etc.  Can not say enough good things. 

Before Riveria a few weeks ago, we stayed three nights at the Edition.  Would not stay there again.  I always have titanium or ambassador at Marriott.  Our room was cramped.  It was 300 sq ft but layout horrible with a wall in the middle of the room dividing it in half.  We booked a top floor terrace room.  Great terrace but looking at an apt building across the narrow street.  The entire hotel is very dark.  Great location but there are much better options.  You may want to look at a larger room at La Meridian if you want to stay in the Marriott family in that area.  Better than Edition but not five star.  Outside of Marriott but in that same area, I once stayed at the Hotel Colon in a Cathedral facing room with a balcony.  It was dated but nice and spacious with outstanding views.  Renaissance is about a 7-10 min walk away but not too far outside of the Gothic Quarter.  W is isolated but has great views and a beach.

If you do stay at Edition, breakfast in the food market two doors down is a must.  Editions do not participate in Bonvoy breakfast perk but the market is 1000 times better anyway!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Before Riveria a few weeks ago, we stayed three nights at the Edition.  Would not stay there again.  

So, the Edition in Barcelona is not the place to stay? Please confirm. and Thank you. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

So, the Edition in Barcelona is not the place to stay? Please confirm. and Thank you. 

I wouldn’t stay there again.  Service was fine, the restaurant just ok, but it’s a funky, very dark hotel as in hallways and rooms have dark walls and little lighting.  It’s clearly aimed at the young hip crowd.  I’m neither young or hip, maybe hippie a very long time ago.  Loud music at night from the rooftop bar.  The rooms are designed poorly and we felt very cramped.

It’s a different animal compared to most Marriott properties.  I had high hopes for the Edition when I saw they were building it as I love the location.  I didn’t think it would be Ritz or St Regis caliber but maybe JW or Westin.  I was surprisingly disappointed.  We couldn’t wait to leave and board the ship.  

Our PH on Riveria was much more spacious to give you an idea.  We stayed in PH’s for years and we now typically stay in OC if available.  I can’t imagine going from anything above a small stateroom on O to the Edition.  Even going to the PH was a huge upgrade and we booked the highest level room at the Edition.  Maybe a suite would be ok but I didn’t have the opportunity to see one.

I hate to sway someone as everyone has their own taste but it was not nearly what I was expecting.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Try the Marriott Cotton House.  A smaller boutique hotel that we very much enjoyed.  Outside courtyard dining, close proximity to HOHO busses.

YMMV…

We just stayed at the Cotton house in August and found it to be quite lovely. It is so interesting architecturally, and the service was impeccable. The room

1 hour ago, tigerfan75 said:

Try the Marriott Cotton House.  A smaller boutique hotel that we very much enjoyed.  Outside courtyard dining, close proximity to HOHO busses.

YMMV…

was the upgraded room with a balcony, which only overlooked other villas, but we spent so little time there it didn't really matter. The bathroom was very nice, the linens and beds were super comfortable, and the location was fine. The Palace hotel, which is right next-door, had a really fun rooftop bar as well with live music. 

I emailed them ahead of our arrival to request an early arrival, and they were able to get us into a room around 10:00 AM. 

also, we highly recommend the restaurant Arcano in Barcelona!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

YMMV…

I agree that the public spaces in Cotton House are quite beautiful, but our room was like a monk’s cell. Tiny, with a small window high in the wall, shower leaked water all over bathroom floor. We did stay on points, but not upgraded as usual. Huge contrast to Gritti Palace pre-cruise in Venice (also on points) where we we upgraded to a 3 room suite. Wouldn’t stay at Cotton House again.

• Thanks 1

Thank You To All:

So my family says to me, "Gary, why spend so much time on CruiseCritic.com?"  The above responses and comments should answer that question.

The stream is on "Preparation".  Yet folk saw some of my items and suggested a better approach.  That is why we all visit in a community like this.  Example: I have booked two rooms for one night at the Barcelona Edition Hotel.  I choose this hotel because of location to the Gothic Quarter and my daughter suggested it.  I also choose it because it was a Marriott Frequent Guest Property.  

Those on this board that stayed at this hotel suggested making a change and why.  The rooms are tiny, the hotel does not participate with the Marriott Breakfast Perk.  The importance of this kind of post has two benefits.  First, if I stay, when I get to my room I can't say I did not know it was a postage stamp.  That creates "Realistic Expectations".  Second, it allows me to change hotel and look for other options.  Many other members made some suggestion on other options.  

Because of this community, I have great information that can positively effect my vacation.  

I have a very important point here.  When folks write things are not good or not to the level one might expect, it helps future guest make better decisions.  They my adjust future decisions or keep them.  Either way, it was very helpful.  Some time, we get upset at folks sharing negatives.  Information is not power, it is potential power if you acknowledge it and leverage it. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Ozi at privatetoursistanbul .com 

Thanks Yesimapirate, but their website is actually privatetourinistanbul.com.

I’ve reached out to them regarding my stay prior to 8/2/24 Vista cruise.

Linda

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Thanks Yesimapirate, but their website is actually privatetourinistanbul.com.

I’ve reached out to them regarding my stay prior to 8/2/24 Vista cruise.

Linda

Thank you for the correction.   Maybe I should have cut and pasted instead of retyping 😁

Ozi is fantastic.   You'll have an incredible time. 

• Like 1

Based on the post in this thread, I re-thought my hotel in Barcelona, Spain.  The original selections reserved a very long time ago was, the Barcelona EDITION Hotel.  After many comments on this location and accommodations, I changed to the Hotel Arts Barcelona.  

Since this is a thread on preparations I will share why I did this.

• The cost per night went up only $20.00.
  • The main markets were closed on this day which was Sunday so staying in the Gothic Quarter was not as much of a draw. 
  • This hotel is a Ritz-Carlton with a lovely spa.  We are off a 10 day cruise so maybe a little spa treatment might be nice.  If we have any money left over from the cruise. 
  • Ritz-Carlton is part of the Marriott Guest Elite Program which fix in with my Titanium Status. 
  • This hotel is by the Beach with great views of the city.  
  • The rooms and hotel in general is much nicer.

Now with any decision, as this stream proves, their are pro's/con's.  You have to be willing to be flexibly when you gain first hand information to help your decision.  When I told my wife and guest to go on YouTube and review the video's on the EDISION and the ARTS, the group said, "ARTS".  Finally a group decisions.  Thank everyone for your support and assistance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stingray, I think you will enjoy it much more.  We have been to the beach there and you are very close to the yellow metro.  One stop to the center of the Gothic Quarter from there so it is almost as good as staying in the GQ with much nicer accommodations.  I hope it works out.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Stingray

@the more ports the better I will change my online name to "Stingray".  I have Grey hair and ever joint in my body Sting on a daily basis.  Love it. I love the fact that the Yellow Metro is close.  Thank you for sharing. 

Cruse well and enjoy every moment. 

30 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@the more ports the better I will change my online name to "Stingray".  I have Grey hair and ever joint in my body Sting on a daily basis.  Love it. I love the fact that the Yellow Metro is close.  Thank you for sharing. 

Cruse well and enjoy every moment. 

Sorry about that, I see you are Southern Gary not stingray.  Do not change your name, I have very fond memories of a Southern Gary (TN) from my much younger days!  Have a great time!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Sorry about that, I see you are Southern Gary not stingray.  Do not change your name, I have very fond memories of a Southern Gary (TN) from my much younger days!  Have a great time!

You know that if you're from TN you would pronounce that Southeren Gary? At least that's how most of my family says Southern. 

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2023 at 9:53 AM, Sthrngary said:

Based on the post in this thread, I re-thought my hotel in Barcelona, Spain.  The original selections reserved a very long time ago was, the Barcelona EDITION Hotel.  After many comments on this location and accommodations, I changed to the Hotel Arts Barcelona.  

Since this is a thread on preparations I will share why I did this.

• The cost per night went up only $20.00.
  • The main markets were closed on this day which was Sunday so staying in the Gothic Quarter was not as much of a draw. 
  • This hotel is a Ritz-Carlton with a lovely spa.  We are off a 10 day cruise so maybe a little spa treatment might be nice.  If we have any money left over from the cruise. 
  • Ritz-Carlton is part of the Marriott Guest Elite Program which fix in with my Titanium Status. 
  • This hotel is by the Beach with great views of the city.  
  • The rooms and hotel in general is much nicer.

Now with any decision, as this stream proves, their are pro's/con's.  You have to be willing to be flexibly when you gain first hand information to help your decision.  When I told my wife and guest to go on YouTube and review the video's on the EDISION and the ARTS, the group said, "ARTS".  Finally a group decisions.  Thank everyone for your support and assistance. 

Good move.  I haven't yet found a decent Edition (and have stopped trying).  $20/night to switch to a RC is a steal, even if most Ritz-Carlton try to skimp on the Bonvoy benefits.  Hope you enjoy.

-Signed a Bonvoy ambassador 😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

even if most Ritz-Carlton try to skimp on the Bonvoy benefits

@Yesimapirate You are right about this.  I emailed the hotel for a pre-arrival upgrade and to find out the Bonvoy Benefits.  They confirmed due to my status they would provide an upgrade for both rooms.  Seems this hotel nor the EDITION provided Breakfast as part of the Perk.  Also, when I asked about the Club Level Access, which is provided at most Marriott Hotels, it was not here.  The quoted me double the room rate for Club level.  Still, I agree with you.  $20.00 is a steal for a RC. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment