Real-Time Preparation for My first Mediterranean Cruise

Sthrngary

As I learned in the USAF: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

I did all of my own planning for my once-in-a-lifetime 14 days in Paraguay history trip in Apr-May 2022. Planned that out day by day, hour by hour, place & road by place & road. With an expert, an American, who has lived experience there for nearly two decades. We drove over 2000 km. From deep into a desert for one set of battlefields to fly-covered swamps for another set of battlefields.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Wife and I split the planning. I find the cruise, we talk about it, and I book it. Then I initially buy relevant tourist & guide books. I study them. Give her some details. We look over maps. She does all the airfare. Like the stealthy U-boat commander she monitors fares across her various sites. Then she strikes like a cobra when she finds the right fare. We plan out excursions. She contacts them and sets up the details. She does the trip insurance. I do any currency work. We got our Euros last year when the Euro was at 99 cents! Now about $1.09.

@MEFIowa Absolutely brilliant.  Team work the whole way.  Love the way you approach this.  I never thought about the Euro exchange.  BRILLIANT.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I never thought about the Euro exchange. 

Though NOW I wish I'd also bought our Euros at 99 cents for the 2024 Baltic cruise we've got booked. Reason why I still watch the Euro every day the WSJ is published. (And watching the Turkish Lira daily, too.)

• Like 1

I have a friend  that makes  vacation spread sheets & binders full of info  for places they go

On an RV trip  she planned to the minute where they would be  at any given moment 😲

Maybe her upbringing  her father was in the  Military & she was  a school teacher

Not my idea of a good time 😉

We have done road trips on two wheels & sometimes Mother Nature will throw  a wrench or severe rain storm in your way

Enjoy the planning

I am now more  "go with the flow "  planning type 🍷

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Installment #2:  Airfare for Europe Travel

Disclaimer:

This post is very long, detailed, and opinionated.  It is my experience not yours.  My spelling, grammar, and punctuation are horrible.  You have been warned.  Enjoy.

Historical Background:

From the time I was 20, until I was in my 60's, I traveled by Air extensively.  For decades I left my home on Sunday and came back home very late Friday night or early Saturday morning. I am a Five Million Miler on Delta and over a Million on other airlines.  I am also a Lifetime Platinum Elite on Delta. This topic of airfare is about planning my first Mediterranean 10-day cruise. Airfare from the United States is a big Part of it. To add to this challenge, we fly into Athens, Greece and out of Barcelona, Spain which is much harder than round trip to the same locations.

Planning air for this cruise, started by saving Airline Miles years ago.  Where I have traveled on business to Europe and Japan many times in both First Class and Business Class.  My wife has never had the same opportunity.  I wanted these saved miles to provide that opportunity for her to enjoy this very rare and exclusive privilege. Every time I would save miles, the family would want to go to Disney World or Cancun, and I would use them.  You got to live, right. 

In retirement, we finally got serious about this “once-in-a-lifetime cruise”. The first attempt was lost due to Covid.  Two years later, the second opportunity came up.  To say I understand how in this case Delta works would be an understatement.  I booked ALL my own travel for all those years.  That is the background to my preparation for air travel for both me and our friends that will be joining us.  Here is what I had to consider and how I made the decision.

The Air Decision Process:

Initially I booked Oceania's Air with my Fare:  This is a HOT topic on Oceania Cruises and literally every other cruise brand social media.  I knew even if I wanted to, due to airline brand policies, I could NOT book airfare on my own so far in advance. My guest joining us did not have the upfront funds nor air miles to gain their airfare prior to final payment for the cruise.  Finally, I knew I COULD cancel the Oceania Airfare until final payment giving me time to plan.  Sometimes flexibility provides time to think, research, and education oneself. That is exactly what we did. One more thing specific to Oceania Cruises Airfare.  One must learn the in's and out's, of the cruise brand airline approach. Deviation fees, change fees, and other ways to gain a bit better control of your reservation.  Each time you use an option there is a fee, it increases the overall costs. It becomes a math problem. Know your product as part of your research. By the way, this was not the easiest learning experience. It seems every cruise brand has different policies.  I was new to Oceania Cruise and it took a which to figure it out.

When Were the Flights Available to Book Directly with the Air Brands:  Many people who do not use air travel often don't understand most brands do not offer booking for over 330 days or 47 weeks away (Some brands are longer, some shorter).  I went on Delta Airlines website and went as far ahead as I could to see my booking date restrictions.  I wrote down the actual day I could book the flight both with miles and with money.  My goal was to make the reservation the instant it was available to book. That would get the least number of miles or money.  

Many Mock Bookings:  Just like many of us do with Cruise Fares.  I made airfare/air itinerary Mock Bookings. One of the biggest complaints about booking with cruise brands is losing control choosing the airline brand, receiving airline miles for the trip, itinerary choice, seat selection, being charged for checking luggage and the list goes on.  Seems this question on cruise brand air never ends. Basically, being controlled by the cruise brand that wants the cheapest possible flight possible is indeed a choice.  If you get to the ship safely, before it departs is ALL some folks care about.  I personally want and need control and coordination.  The first thing I wanted to know was, if I DON’T want to use Oceania Air, how much will it reduce my fare.  In my case it was $1,000.00 per guest.  Your amounts may vary.  Just read the booking page.  It is right there.

In my mock booking I was learning:

1.     How much approximately it would cost to travel both with money and miles. Below I will outline approximate cost and optional fees when leveraging Oceania Air. Key word approximate.

2.     Itineraries and connections. This allowed me to control leaving a day earlier and get to Europe early morning to enjoy the day. I could have done this with Oceania by going through some hoops and a few fees.

3.     If it would be better and cheaper to leave from air hub like Atlanta or my home base of Birmingham, AL.  Sometimes, living from connections point like Birmingham, AL is actually less expensive and much more convenient. You only know if you check.

I have learned to appreciate Oceania for the way they give their guest options rather then attempting to be a hugely more expensive “ALL Inclusive” offering like Regent Seven Seas.  Yet sometimes, those options are not initially well understood.  Allow me to explain because if you got this far, you have some interest in this topic.

·       Full Normal Cruise Fare: Includes Cruise, Air, Ground Transfers and usually your choice of one of three (3) perks. Depending on the sailing, the approximate retail value of those perks on my specific cruise was $600.00. Other itineraries can be higher. Please take into consideration if you are not looking to leave from a major airline hub, in my case Atlanta, there might be another fee added on to your fare. Just be aware and again I refer this as becoming a math problem.

·       Full Fare Less Air:  If you look on the booking page carefully, it will show you how much of a discount you will receive if you book your own air travel.  In my case it was $1,000.00 per passenger.  This is NOT a Cruise Only fare and at first this confused me.  Again, for me, it was initially NOT user-friendly information.

·       Cruise Only Fare:  This was NO air and NO perks.  Once I learned this it made my choices easier. Lots of opinions on which is right or wrong, yet it goes down to personal preference.

·       Premium Comfort Coach: Our cruise air, but not all cruises have a promotion for $299.00 per guest each way to have Premium Comfort Coach.  So, another $1,200.00 per couple for round trip for this improved class of service.  Again, I say, do your research.  You don’t know the air brand and every brand premium coach are not made the same.  I looked at ALL the brands that would fly out of our locations, saw the video reviews, and knew the risks or benefits.

With all the options, deviation fees, fees for not being in a hub and option to do Premium Comfort my head was spinning, and I know air travel.  I can’t imagine what a person that fly occasionally would have felt. It gave me what I was looking for, which was a budget for my guest and if I wanted to save my miles or just use Oceania Air.

The Real Airline Booking Procedure:

·       The Issue: You can’t book the flight with the airline, in my case Delta, until the return trip is available. Every day you wait, the fare or miles gets more expensive.  Some say book the trip for miles one way at a time.  My mock test showed clearly that would NOT work.  I believe it was because we flew into Athens and out of Barcelona. Regardless, I checked, and it was not the best option to book one way at a time. 

·       12:01 AM:  The day the return flight was open for booking I was online at 12:01 AM.  I looked at the options and decided to take a risk. “What If I waited until tomorrow to book the flights.?” My mock research showed lower prices to fly back from Barcelona on Monday rather than when the ship docked on Sunday.  Would an extra day same be much? This ended up being a very wise move.

·       Leave From Home Base or Hub:  The points and cash fares were less leaving from Birmingham, AL rather than Atlanta, GA.  Who would have thought. Glad I did my due diligence.

·       Fully Refundable Air Fair for my Guests: Where I could have gotten a non-refundable flight for as low as $800.00 per person for my friends, a fully refundable was $1,250.00.  This was an issue because our friend could not come up with the funds now and what if they did then want to cancel the trip. Remember, Oceania was giving a cruise fare discount of $1,000.00 per guest to do your own airfare.  Decisions upon decisions.

·       Important Side Note:  Many cruise guests think if you use the Cruise Brands choice of air, and there is a delay on your flights, the cruise ship will wait for you.  Not true.  They do have an obligation to get you to your next port. No one wants to start a vacation that way.  Do your research.

Conclusion to the Airfare Decision:

My wife and I booked our Delta Airlines Delta One Business class flights to arrive a day early and leave a day after returning.  We will leave our home base, Birmingham, AL instead of Atlanta, GA.  We used all our air miles and had to transfer some from our American Platinum Rewards account. 

I personally booked and paid for our friends Delta Coach Tickets with the same itinerary with fully refundable airfare.  They could not pay for it, so I fronted the money for the airfare and their cruise deposit.  This gains them the advantage of early booking and paying for everything at the time of final payment for the cruise itself. I utilized some credits ($200.00) I had in my Delta Airline wallet which is also refundable to reduce the ticket price by $100.00 per person.  I then wrote an email to Delta Airlines asking to have them upgraded to Delta Business Class.  Delta called me up and gave them another $200.00 in the form of a Visa Card.  Now the Fully refundable airfare is the same as the Oceania Supplement and they also get one free checked in piece of luggage each for an additional saving of $400.00 for the couple.  Now it is a much better deal than Oceania had.

The question is, was it worth all the time, effort, research and due diligence?  For me, yes. I like this kind of stuff.  I wanted our friends to travel on the same itinerary as my wife and me. I wanted my wife and I to go Delta One Business Class with the best routing.  Worth the effort for sure.  I also check daily if the cost goes down or I can do it for less miles.  So far, the cost has gone up close to $500.00 per ticket and it would have cost me 500,000 more miles.  Again, worth the effort and planning.

Hope this journey on airfare due diligence has helped you to make a business decision that suits your specific needs.

• Like 4

Though for us doing our B2B on Riviera, 10/30 Trieste (Venice) to Athens and then 11/9 Athens to Barcelona, wife studied the various sites quite patiently & methodically and we ended up on United (Des Moines to Venice and Barcelona back to Des Moines) for just $1016 PP (total including all fees & taxes) round trip economy. She ended up going thru Booking.com.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though for us doing our B2B on Riviera, 10/30 Trieste (Venice) to Athens and then 11/9 Athens to Barcelona, wife studied the various sites quite patiently & methodically and we ended up on United (Des Moines to Venice and Barcelona back to Des Moines) for just $1016 PP (total including all fees & taxes) round trip economy. She ended up going thru Booking.com.

@MEFIowa As always, your lovely bride did her due diligence.  Whether booking through a third part like Booking.com of directly with United (In my case Delta) based on Des Moines as your home base (Great town by the way),  Study and research was the key.  Coach or fully refundable coach are the choices we have to make.  My post and your response clearly indicate, think it through and do what is good for you.

Love your spreadsheet @Sthrngary.

I’m the planner in our family and I’ll definitely be borrowing the ‘ call your congressman or in our case MP line!’

First timer on O as well so appreciate all the tips this thread has generated. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dock said:

Love your spreadsheet @Sthrngary.

I’m the planner in our family and I’ll definitely be borrowing the ‘ call your congressman or in our case MP line!’

First timer on O as well so appreciate all the tips this thread has generated. 

@dock Thank you for your kind words.  I caution everyone reading my posts.  I am only commenting on my personal experience and I have never cruised on Oceania.  Sometimes, when I post, some of the great past Oceania Cruise Guest fix some of the errors I might have given.  We all win.  

Oceania seems a nice change for me at this stage in my life.  We will see.  Learning the ins/outs of a new cruise brand has been quite enjoyable.  Thanks again for the kind words.

• Like 1

Installment #3: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Hotels:

Overview:

The question on the table here is,

“Do you book your pre/post-cruise hotel through Cruise Brand or book your own?”

If my cruise was in/out of Miami, New York, or New Orleans, I would 100% book it myself.  However, when it departs from Athens, Greece and returns in Barcelona, Spain it is more complicated for my mind to grasp. Europe is much less about choosing Marriott, Hilton, or Sheraton. It is much more about the general area you want to stay within. It is time for some of my normal research and I have found that is not as easy as it might seem.

Before we begin, always have an endgame in mind.  My endgame is:

1.     We want to get to Athens, Greece the day before we cruise and in the morning. This allows almost a full day to enjoy the sights of Athens. Realistically, we will have jetlag and even if we got some sleep on the flight, our energy levels will be LOW. 

2.     We want to get acclimated to the new Europe times zone as quickly as possible. I have traveled to Europe for business many times, and I know getting on a different time zone is NOT easy.  You must have a strategic plan taking all things into consideration.  I do have such a plan below.

Getting Acclimated to Europe Time Zones:

1.     You get to Europe early; in our case we arrive at 08:30 am.

2.     You get to your hotel by 10:30 AM to simply check your luggage.  Usually, the hotel won’t let you check-in until 2:00 PM. 

3.     Immediately, go see some sites and maybe have a nice lunch. I have studied the foods of Athens so this will not be difficult.

4.     Here comes the tough part. We ALL must take a three-hour power nap at 2:30 PM and I mean sleep.  It will be hard to get up after the nap, but we must. 

5.     Following this we need to get dinner and stay up for another three hours.  I have a dinner reservation at Kastelorizo for 06:30 PM. The result is, time zone handled.  It has worked every time for me.

Now that we are all clear on the goals, time to look at the research needed to make a good business decision on the Pre/Post-Cruise Hotel. Note upfront, I changed my mind many times.

Pre-Cruise Hotel Research for Athens, Greece: 

When I booked the cruise back in September 2022 (Oceania Cruises Labor Day Sale), I looked at the Oceania Cruises Pre-Cruise Hotel Option and just like air option took the pre-hotel option initially.  Just like airfare with the cruise brand, I can always cancel it and book it myself.  However, having this hotel has given me a great starting point to begin my research.  The hotel provided was Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Marriott Property with a cost for one night with two guests of $798.00 US.  This included transportation from the Hotel to Port and complimentary breakfast. I have watched all the videos on this hotel and it looks and rating by guests are very good.

If I book a fully cancelled room (if you prepay, you can save a few dollars) at the Hotel Grande Bretagne, it will cost $440.00 which is slightly less than half as much as the Oceania Rate.  My Elite Status with Marriott will provide complementary upgrades based on availability at check-in, free internet, and breakfast.  It will not provide ground transportation. You can hire a lot of Taxi’s for $400.00.  Since it does not cost me anything to book this hotel myself, I booked the rooms directly.  I can now choose to go either way, with Oceania or my own reservation.

“I always love options.”

Like any large city, Athens, Greece has different areas to stay in.  Each area has pros/cons.  In each area you have hotels that have a full range of price points, amenities, views, and benefits.  About right now, I am saying;

“I know that Oceania’s choice is a bit pricy.

Maybe I simply save some time and just take it.”

In research, none of this is as simple and as easy as you thought. You then rethink the importance of the project.  I fought that feeling if simply taking the easy way out and going at it like every other aspect of my planning.  A deep and interesting journey that will educate me in many ways.

Videos Are My Favorite Research Approach:

YouTube.com is our friend.  Yet it is NOT as simple as just searching for the best hotels in Athens, Greece.  Allow me to explain.  Some of these youtube.com content providers making these videos are paid influencers.  It reminds me of the Reverse Mortgage TV Commercials with Tom Selleck telling me, if he thought it was bad, he would not do the commercials. What you do get are some facts about the specific hotels they endorse.  Like everything in our world, take it with a grain of salt which includes everything I say as well.

The next set of videos watched does not even include most of those same hotels shown initially.  You must ask yourself,

“How can a hotel not make the cut of another list?”

The third video series I watch is all about budget hotels followed by all about 5-star hotels.  Your head starts to spin like trying to figure out how the Cruise Brand Airfare really works. 

“Why does everything have to be so complicated?

Video after video, google search after google search, blog after blog. The reality is all choices seem good and none of them really stand out.  Until you, as I did, end up back at the choice Oceania Cruises suggested in the first place.

“Oceania’s Choice seemed as good as any.”

To be fair, the hotel was part of the Marriott family and I have the highest lifetime status with Marriott.  This means complimentary upgrades, free breakfast, free internet, and extra points for the stay. So, use Oceania or book it myself.  Let’s talk about money.

The Investment Comparison:

The investment when booked through the Oceania was higher at a rate of $799.00 total for both guests. Booking on your own save literally half the price. If you want to pre-pay with no cancellation option, you can save even more.  With Oceania, you are ONLY obligated when you make your final payment. One added benefit of Oceania is the provided transfers from the Hotel to the Cruise Port.  I know I sound like a broken record.

“Simply Do the math!”

My Decision:

I did the math and decided I will be canceling the hotel option with Oceania Cruise Hotel Booking.  Transportation from the hotel to the port can be as low as 10 euro’s each for bus/train or with a cab/private car as much as 40/60 euro for a party of two. Basically, the same hotel, same room, upgrades/breakfast with Marriott Status and much better transportation geared around the guest convenience.  I realize not everyone has my Marriott Status, however that is a big money difference.  Hard not to consider.

Some read my blogs and opinion pieces like this one and think I am looking ONLY for the lowest price and or very best value.  That is NOT always true.  Sometimes, I will pay more to simply reduce the hassle factor. Just not until I am convinced that the promises made to guests have been kept in the past. Like prompt ground transportation.

I researched ground transportation, from the Hotel to the Port through Oceania.  I hear mixed opinions/reviews on this aspect of my trip. It made me hesitant especially with the price difference.  I like boarding cruise ships as soon as I can.  I don’t like waiting for a cruise brand bus to fill for hours before it will go to the destination. I have also heard the coordination/instruction for the transportation is often lacking, leaving guests confused and frustrated.  Those items make me feel uncomfortable and yes, I admit out of control. Those and other factors supported my final decision to just book it directly with the hotel. 

Always Read the Fine Print:

When I initially went online, I saw book first room and get the second room for 50% off.  This was NOT accurate.  It was to buy one room and if you have kids in your family joining you under 16, you gain 50% your second room rate off.  Good thing I checked the fine print.  No kids, no savings. Yet booking two rooms at the regular members rate was still a savings of $400.00 over Oceania’s hotel rate.  To be transparent, this does not vote well when I consider excursion for each port. 

Making Decisions for a Group:

If you have been reading this blog from the beginning, the hardest thing for me is making good business decisions for other people.  In my case I am making decisions for our friends joining us on this cruise. If it was just for me, I would just pull the trigger.  When others are involved, it simply is not that easy.  Every luxury or amenity could have a cost that increases budgets for others. I worry about resentment and feeling like my guest doesn’t have a choice or is not in control.  That feeling really bothers me greatly.  In the end, I make the best decisions for all involved, however I would be lying to say each decision could not have negative consequences.

Onto of the Post-Cruise Hotel:

My adult daughter traveled Barcelona, Spain.  She said, stay in the “Gothic District”.  She then gave me three (3) hotels to choose from, each with a different price point.  My process was much the same as with the Pre-Cruise Hotel.  Of the price points I was given, I took the higher priced hotel.  The location was where my daughter wanted us located and the hotel looked lovely.

Our choice was The Barcelona EDITION Hotel.  Again, no cancellation fee, correct area, high-end hotel, and Marriott property.  The videos are the hotel were outstanding for the higher-level rooms as I would have expected for a 5-star hotel at this price point.  I would not have chosen this hotel unless I was confident of gaining an upgrade.  When I read reviews, I noticed the scores were 9.2 out of 10.  I dived deep to find out why folks were upset. To the person, it was they purchased an cheaper reservation, that was prepaid and had no cancellation option.  These kinds of reservations have consequences and are the reason for Travel Insurance.  Second was that the rooms were classy but small.  That is where the Marriott Status upgrade comes in. 

Overall Conclusion:

Months before the cruise, my preparation happens in a very slow and steady clip.  Always keeping my options open, however, also doing my due diligence.  I must be sensitive to the way my wife and I travel since it will only be us both for this part of the trip.  I also must have an agreement that once we drop off our luggage, we go and see the sites.  What normally happens is my wife opens her computer and does not want to move.  That dog will not hunt in Barcelona, Spain.  The Outdoor Market is waiting for us. If I had a concern, it is, this day is Sunday and many businesses are closed on Sunday. This will be the first time in our history where we stay in a hotel after the cruise is over.  The last morning of a cruise is my least favorite part.  I feel unkept, rushed, nervous and unhinged. I am hoping this time there will be no rushing or pressure.  I am going to look forward to that as well as not having to worry about missing our plane the next day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Installment #4: Ground Transportation

Overview:

The easiest way to have ground transportation is to let the cruise brand take care of it.  With the decision to make my own air and pre/post hotel reservations, this takes the cruise brand out of the equation.  You can still purchase these transfers however I have never been a fan of cruise brands approach.  I have also read many reviews of the transfers and I just feel with a little research, I can do much better.

Methods of Transfers and Ground Transportation:

Let’s look at the four (4) types of methods that are available.  We need Airport to Hotel, Hotel to Port, Port to Hotel and Hotel to Airport.  

With a little research it becomes clear that Europe has much better mass transit than we have in the United States.  Our choice for all four (4) of our needs is from least expensive to most expensive are as follows:

1)     Bus

2)     Trains/Metro’s

3)     Taxi

4)     Private Cars

Airport to Hotel Transfers:

Bus and Trains/Metros: This will take a walk from the airport baggage to one or the other terminal.  When going on a 10-day cruise, this walk with luggage can be an issue.  My group will love how inexpensive these options are.  The good news is the bus is right outside the baggage claim.  Get your ticket at the bus building and it should cost 6 euros each. The train is across the street and up an escalator followed by a walkway.  A longer walk and remember your luggage is with you. The cost is 9 euros each. The trip is about 90 minutes.

If I was alone, I would take the bus.  Not to save the money just for the experience. We also need to understand that the bus will let you off at the terminal in town, not your hotel.  If you need to go to the port, it will let you off but it might take some walking to get to your ship.  I think my guests will veto these options however I wanted to have all options available.

Taxi: This is usually a flat price to City Center of 40 Euros per car averaging at 20 Euros each.  We would need two taxis for four people. There is also the possibility of a language issue which needs to be considered. If we choose the Taxi, I will have an index card with our hotel and address printed out in Greek.

Private Car of Van:  The Hotel in Athens can help arrange a car or van service.  Because we are a party of 4, a van would be our best approach.  This is the highest cost option however it will also be the most convenient option with the shortest time to our destination. 190 Euros, which is 48 Euros per person.  Because our guests are on a budget, seem like this might be a bit too high for them.

Conclusion:  I think from an expense and logic standpoint, we will book two taxis.  I still enjoyed the research and knowing the facts prior to getting off the flight. When I traveled Europe on business, I always took the Taxi’s from the Airport to the Hotels.  I never had an issue and never felt I was being taken advantage of with the service.  In closing, YouTube is your friend when traveling.  Most of the information I get is from that social media source.

• 1 month later...

Installment #5: 

As I take every port and research Ground Transportation, Attractions, Food Options, What to Look Out for (Scams) and utilizing Google Maps coordinated with this list; I felt an update to this post was needed. I hope it is valuable and helps in some way.  This is the first of many sections of my Pre-Travel Preparation Manual.

General Instructions/Rules to Remember:

Jetlag is a Thing:

Due to excitement and lack of comfort on a long-haul flight, Jetlag is a thing.  The best way to handle it is to have a strategy.  Our flight gets into Athens, Greece at 09:30 AM.  The best approach is hotel, walk, lunch, nap (A few hours ONLY) and up for dinner (we have reservations in Athens).  None of these things are easy but when done, gets you in the time zone quickly. 

Event and Public Transportation Tickets:

Whenever possible, for ports ground transportation/events, book ahead online.  Eliminates the long lines and best use of our time in each port. Online links are included in this document under every port.

Foreign Currency:

Check with your bank that “Bank ATM” in Europe do not have a foreign currency fee.  Make sure, we ONLY use Bank ATM. The other ones are tourist traps with high fees.

Safety on the Streets/Scams:

·        Pickpockets: In Europe, pickpockets are a thing.  I purchased from Amazon a money belt for cash, credit cards, cell phone, and passports.  I will carry my wife’s stuff also.  In addition, I will have a FAKE wallet if someone tries to hold us up.  Pickpockets work in teams at crowded places. They also don’t want to be noticed or arrested which is important to know for protection.

·        People on the Street: Do not engage with folks on the street.  Do not take free things (Bracelets/Flowers) from anyone on the street. Folks offering to give you HELP or people in costumes.  It is ALL a scam.  Simply say “thank you” and walk on.  They can get forceful and aggressive so be on the alert. Like pick pockets, scams are a thing like in any big city.

·        Cell Phones: Stealing Cell Phones is also a thing in Europe.  The thief waits for you to take a picture, so the security code is OFF.  They also ask if you want them to take the picture then don’t give you your phone back until you pay them. They work in teams.  Keep phones out of sight and on a theft strap available on Amazon.

·        Fake Restaurants: Restaurants by attractions especially with ALL English menus outside and a person trying to get you to come to the restaurant is a scam.  Stay clear.  Expensive and bad food.  That is why we do such great research on where to eat. Kiosk that sell soda/water and packaged snakes outside attractions is also a tourist trap charging 7 to 10 Euro’s for a bottle of water. Drink water on the street from fountains like other Europeans and bring a water bottle to refill. Now we are not talking about street food which is a different category. Still use caution.

Dining at Ports:

·        Coffee with Breakfast: Go to the Bistro for coffee and take it to breakfast with you.  Much better coffee and the restaurant has no issue with it. This idea is directly from CruiseCritic.com.

·        Breakfast On-Board Strategy: When the ship gets to a port early like 08:00 AM, we have breakfast on the ship and lunch in the port. Look at listed lunch options in this document for each port.

·        Lunch On-Board Strategy: When the ship gets to the port at midday like 11:00 AM, we have breakfast and lunch on the ship. We can consider a snack while in the port.

Ship Stateroom Portfolio:

·        Stateroom Charges: It is my habit to check my ship Portfolio every day at about the same time.  It protects us all from mistaken charges to my stateroom as they might happen. The Mini-Refrigerator has soft drinks.  Pre-requested, in stateroom #1 there is Cranberry, in Stateroom #2 there is orange juice to mix with champagne provided the first day.  We have already purchased two Champagne Seal Device to keep the Champagne fresh for more than one day.

·        Gratuities: If you use the ship spa for nails, hair and or spa treatments, know that the tip/gratuities are included in the bill.  No need to tip further unless you feel warranted.

·        Tipping Butler: The Butler is part of the pre-paid gratuities we did as part of our final payment.  Still, it is customary if the butler has done a nice job, to provide them with an additional tip.  I will be providing, depending on service received, an additional $100 to $150.

Internet/Cell Phone On/Off the Ship Preparation:

·        On Ship: The cruise provides you with one (1) device unlimited internet non-streaming. Additionally, devices and streaming are available for a cost.  I find these cost very high and just share the access with my wife during the trip. The Internet is awful on any cruise ship with any service.  What you do is log in from another phone and it kicks the other device offline. Keep your cell phone on “Airplane Mode” when sailing.

·        Off Ship: Call your Cell Phone company Pre-Cruise and ask what the options are for internet and cell phone usage when in Europe.  You are going to want your phone and ability to pick up Google maps when at ports. I called AT&T and with some rules, I have unlimited calls and internet (that is what I have in US) for $10.00 per day or $15.00 with Tami and my lines.  Each time you make a call, receive a call, or use the internet, the $10 is charged for 24-hour usage. You must get them to make sure your account has the option.

Visas and Covid Testing:

·        Visas: Currently no visas are needed however we might want to get one for Turkey.  As time goes on, we can consider it.  The rules can be challenging and hard to understand. An eVisa is $60.00 per person.

·        Covid Testing: This needs changes all the time based on where Covid is in the country we are going to.  It would not be a bad idea to get a booster prior to going.  We will keep each other informed of this topic.

Weird Needs on a Cruise Ship:

·        Take Headache Meds with You: They don’t sell over the counter meds on a cruise ship.  You must go to the ship hospital, and it is expensive.

·        Hairdryers Provided: The power of these hairdryers is questionable so you might want to take your own.

·        Drink Programs Need Suite Card: You need to take your suite card to swipe when ordering an alcoholic drink.  This is because not everyone on the ship has a drink package. Also, the suite card is what is needed to buy anything onboard.  No cash is accepted.

·        Binoculars: The state room usually has a pair however if you have room in your luggage, an extra pair will come in handy so both guest can view the sites.

Edited by Sthrngary

Though just as for the ship's medical care, on Riviera 12/2021 I walked so much one day in a port that my shoes rubbed the back of one of my feet raw, bleeding. Came back on and stopped by the medical station. Nice Filipina nurse disinfected it and put a Band-Aid on it. No charge. We only had 719 passengers and things may have been really slow for them (except when we had to drop "Boris Karloff from Plan 9 In Outer Space)" off to a CG patrol boat a couple miles off Key West).

40 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though just as for the ship's medical care, on Riviera 12/2021 I walked so much one day in a port that my shoes rubbed the back of one of my feet raw, bleeding. Came back on and stopped by the medical station. Nice Filipina nurse disinfected it and put a Band-Aid on it. No charge. We only had 719 passengers and things may have been really slow for them (except when we had to drop "Boris Karloff from Plan 9 In Outer Space)" off to a CG patrol boat a couple miles off Key West).

@MEFIowa I am glad to here that.  My preparation page just added installment #5 is based on my past experience.  I want my guest joining me and those reading to have "Realistic Expectations".  

The likely hood of a charge from the ship hospital is something that would normally be unexpected.  That is until one gets charged.  That is when you wish you were told about "Travel Insurance" and "Costs" in ship Hospitals.  Now if I went, and they choose NOT to charge, that would exceed my expectations.  Thinking it is done all the time, even when the ship is not crowded, might case some disappointment if it happened to someone else.  

You live and learn when cruising and I hope to make this first cruise for my best friends a positive memory for the rest of their lives.  Of course on the things I can control knowing so many things are out of my  hands.

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... You live and learn when cruising and I hope to make this first cruise for my best friends a positive memory for the rest of their lives.  Of course on the things I can control knowing so many things are out of my hands...

Things we can't control... Unscheduled stops and missed ports.

On both of our 2 cruises (Riviera 12/2021 & Sirena 11/2022) the ships each had to make an unscheduled stop due to medical emergency. The stop off Key West just meant a couple hours of the small Coast Guard patrol boat circling in rough waves trying to get "Boris Karloff" off Riviera and onto it. Just a slight delay. BUT on Sirena we had to anchor off Puerto Plata (DR) and they had to lower a tender boat to take the person off and to a hospital there. Cost us many hours and the captain then told us we weren't going to St. Kitts but booked us down to St. Vincents.

I wonder if we'll have anything similar on our two 10-night cruises in the Med. O has older passengers!

1. Always  have trip insurance

We do not travel in top suites so always take our own binoculars

We do take basic meds  eg  headache /allergy/seasick meds /rolaids / Bandaids

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

Things we can't control... Unscheduled stops and missed ports.

On both of our 2 cruises (Riviera 12/2021 & Sirena 11/2022) the ships each had to make an unscheduled stop due to medical emergency. The stop off Key West just meant a couple hours of the small Coast Guard patrol boat circling in rough waves trying to get "Boris Karloff" off Riviera and onto it. Just a slight delay. BUT on Sirena we had to anchor off Puerto Plata (DR) and they had to lower a tender boat to take the person off and to a hospital there. Cost us many hours and the captain then told us we weren't going to St. Kitts but booked us down to St. Vincents.

I wonder if we'll have anything similar on our two 10-night cruises in the Med. O has older passengers!

@MEFIowa Whether we do or don't is as we discussed, these items as you stated are out of our control.  I have been on sailings that everything went as planned, and everything got really messed up.  In either case, the key was having an "great attitude".  Since we cannot change many happenings, finding a way to enjoy the process especially on a cruise is critical, yet sometimes hard.

My best example is a cruise on Crystal Cruises right after Covid Restrictions started to get better.  All my wife wanted was to, "Swim with the Pigs".  That port and two others were cancelled.  Disappointing however out of our control.  Not the cruise lines fault and yes there was also a medical emergency.  That cruise the average age was 103, LOL.  They called my wife and myself youngsters. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:
  1. Always  have trip insurance

We do not travel in top suites so always take our own binoculars

We do take basic meds  eg  headache /allergy/seasick meds /rolaids / Bandaids

Sound advice.

Thanks for the tip about the packaged snakes Gary. In all my years of cruising I haven't run in to any of them, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for those in the future. 😉

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, ORV said:

Thanks for the tip about the packaged snakes Gary. In all my years of cruising I haven't run in to any of them, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for those in the future. 😉

@ORV This is the reason for the disclaimer on my spelling and grammar.  My mind works faster then my fingers and I miss some things sometimes.  My apologies. 

• Like 1

On our recent cruise in April (Oceania, but would have been the same on any line) none of the several couples we traveled with was charged the phone charge you found and expect, same as we expected and were told prior to trip. Both ATT and Verizon customers represented.  We were told partway through cruise by ATT we needed a cruise package ($100 total, I think) not the $10 per day international plan - they detected we were in multiple countries and not always near a tower I think.  Several of us thought the $10 /day would be capped at $10 x 10 days in a month (or $150 for two phones) but some friends learned it was per billing month not calendar month (Verizon), and the cruise was in parts of two billing months.  After the trip when we all called to clarify our bills, we had a variety of explanations from a variety of reps between us.  We were all able to get adjustments in our favor but all still ended with significantly higher bills than we expected.  I will research again before we cruise again, but I think pre-arranging the cruise plan and then using ship internet as well may have been better than what any of us did. We met some fellow shipmates who were happy with the inexpensive foreign SIM cards they bought and have since learned that E-SIM cards may be the way to go.  This all was not a big deal, but a surprise. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Installment #6: Learn the Culture (Italy)

Since this stream is a preparation stream for a Mediterranean 10 day Cruise on Oceania, I wanted to approach the culture of each country we will be visiting.  I learned this when I had several speaking engagements in Japan during my business career.  Little things, make a big difference when visiting other countries.  I also look at it as even more enjoyment for me.  Kind of like when you use a nice Red Wine Glass for a fine red wine.  I won't even drink the wine if it is in a plastic glass.  It is part of the enjoyment.  Some might look at that last statement as me being Bougie. Not at all, I also love BBQ ribs with messy BBQ sauce all over my fingers. Just a way to better enjoy different experiences in life.

Italian Etiquette:

Since we will spend some time in several Italian ports, there are some etiquette rules to understand.  I put these things in the same category as when I visited Japan some years back. 

YouTube video title is, “FIRST TIME IN ROME ITALY: What to Know Before You Go to Rome. Travel Tips to Italy” and the link is: https://youtu.be/dhJHijy0tbY .

Culture:

NOTE:

·        Check Timing: When considering attractions, check what day and times they are open.  Do your best to purchase tickets online to avoid lines.

·        Visiting a Church: If it is a church, remember to have your shoulders and legs covered up and have your passport.

·        Bathroom: Need to use a restroom, order an expresso for one Euro, and use their bathroom.

·        Credit Cards (Visa): Double check Taxi, shops and restaurants take credit cards before ordering.  That is why you should have cash with you.

·        Late Night Partying: Don’t expect to party hard at night.  Italy is chill.

·        General Lifestyle: Italian lifestyle is centered around “Food, Drink, Music, relaxing and friends”.  

·        Use Good Business Judgement: Don’t Talk Politics or about Italian Crime.

Drinking Water:

You DON’T have to buy drinking water in Italy.  There are 250 drinking fountains around the city designed to refill your water 24/7, clean and safe. Have a refillable container with you.

Language:

• Don’t expect everyone to speak English in Italy. Bring an Italian dictionary with you. Make a list of key phases in Italian and put it in your phone. Italy has the fewest English-speaking folks of Europe. Better today but still not great.

Punctuality is NOT an Italian Trait:

• Time in Italy is a moving target. Everything from tours to public transportation in Italy is elastic.
  • Most places are closed at lunchtime so check before you visit. This applies across the board from restaurants, shops and even banks. They are closed usually until 1:30 PM.
  • If you are in Rome. All major tourist attractions are within walking distance.

Riposo (Afternoon Rest):

Stores, shops, attractions, and restaurants are closed.  Truly a cultural thing in Room. Usually, approximately 01:30 PM to 04:00 PM. As an additional fact, most businesses are closed on Sunday.

Don’t Assume ALL Italians are Related to Mafia:

It is insulting to the Italians. This goes along with not talking about Politics.

Shopping/Visiting:

• Via Dei Condotti: All well-known high-end brands. The prices are not super great as you might expect. 

• Side Streets from Main Street:  This is where you will find high quality Italian goods at reasonable prices. HOWEVER, Don’t expect CHEAP Luxury Goods.

• Restaurants and Churches have Dress Codes: Italians have strong feelings about appearance viewing it as respectful.

• Church: In a church, your shoulders and legs should be covered.
  • Restaurants in the Evening: Same holds true in the restaurants in the evening.  

Food:

NOTE:

·        Don’t eat in the restaurants near the attractions.  Go to a recommended restaurant or one that has a menu that is handwritten in Italian. The places by the attractions have expensive rents and low quality, very expensive food.

·        Lunch: Between 12:30 PM and Approx. 2:00 PM

·        Dinner: After 07:30 PM

·        Don’t expect ice in your drink without special request.

Pizza:

• Never ask your waiter to cut your pizza for you.

• Never ask for pineapple to go with your pizza.

• Never ask for pizza with chicken.

Pasta:

• Never cut your pasta with a knife.

• The proper way to eat pasta is with a fork. Never use a knife or spoon. 

• Never put cheese on your pasta if it has fish or seafood.

• Never ask for ketchup to go with your pasta.

• Never ask for additional Sause to go with your pasta.

• Never ask for Pasta with Meatballs, it does not exist in italy. You can have pasta Ragu which means with meat.

Olive Oil:

• Never ASK the waiter to bring Olive Oil with Balsamic Vinegar or butter for your bread. Only Olive Oil.

• You cannot have “Ranch Dressing” for your salad. You will receive Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar on your salad.  After all, you are in Italy.

The Commandments of Coffee:

• Milky Coffee is only for the morning before 11:00 AM

• Italians don’t order “Cappuccino” after 11:00 AM. “Macchiato” after lunch. This is expresso with a splash of Milk.

• Espresso is default for Un-Coffee (One Expresso).  Espresso Doppio (Double Expresso)

• Italian Bar is a Coffee Bar NOT alcohol.

• Drink your coffee next to the bar like native Italians. If you take your coffee to the table, you will have to pay some extra fee.  Not wrong just costs more.

• Keep it simple.  No mint mocha, there is NO Starbucks in Italy for a reason.

• Don’t order “Latte” in Italy. Latte means milk in Italy. Instead, order “Caffe Latte”.

• Coffee and Pastry is a normal breakfast. Huge breakfasts are not an Italian thing.

No such thing as an Early Dinner in Italy:

Dinner time is 07:30 PM usually. All our Ship Reservations are at 07:00 PM so if we choose to see the 09:30 PM nightly show, we have enough time to do so.

Payments:

• Credit Cards for big things , and online purchases

• Cash for little things like coffee, pastry, Ice Cream and such.  

• Like 2

Wow --  so how many hundreds of hours did you spend in your planning..

I am amazed when we land and the car driver is standing at the bag claim exit with a sign saying "PaulMCO" and the DW exclaims -- how did he know we are arriving at 830am..  LOL .  It is the hundreds of hours planned.

Some comments.  Agree with you post on Air Fare.  I have 4MM on UA and well over 2MM on the late Pan Am. Lifetime Marriott Titanium, Lifetime GS, Life Time UA Club, Lifetime Delta Sky Club etc...

I begin a year out just to see what the trend is.  It is getting tougher to use the miles on flights especially to Asia.  As far as buying -- I first do my miles booking (they are refundable), then search throughout the year for best prices and make a decision from there.  Sometimes the cruise line far is too good to even consider miles.  Our upcoming Japan cruise on Regent, the biz credit was only $4200.  Today a cheap RT is $6500.

I did notice you do not have your shore excursions on your spread sheet.  I generally put these into outlook so I can see them on my phone along with the descriptions.

Pickups - I see you are going to use Uber.  On arrival and also at the port we prefer Welcome Pickups.  Again the sign, plus the help with the bags are key.  They are also competitive.

Excellent choice of hotels in Athens. Rooftop bar is amazing.

• Haha 2

@PaulMCO Hello old friend.  Nice to hear from you again.  We seem to have similar travel habits that gained us a certain level of status.  A little hint on the airfare point. I learned this from a YouTube influencer.  Start and end your trip on Delta from Mexico City.  The difference in points on Business Class is astronomical.  The kicker is you have to gain a round trip to Mexico City which may extent your travel a day each end. Not for everyone but can work with a little thought. 

Off the subject, are you considering the NEW Crystal Cruises in the future?  I am a little gun shy.  Love your thoughts. 

As our mutual good friend always says, "Cruise well and enjoy every moment".