Real-Time Preparation for My first Mediterranean Cruise

Sthrngary

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@PaulMCO Hello old friend.  Nice to hear from you again.  We seem to have similar travel habits that gained us a certain level of status.  A little hint on the airfare point. I learned this from a YouTube influencer.  Start and end your trip on Delta from Mexico City.  The difference in points on Business Class is astronomical.  The kicker is you have to gain a round trip to Mexico City which may extent your travel a day each end. Not for everyone but can work with a little thought. 

Off the subject, are you considering the NEW Crystal Cruises in the future?  I am a little gun shy.  Love your thoughts. 

As our mutual good friend always says, "Cruise well and enjoy every moment".

Yes indeed  - definitely gun shy on Crystal plus more importantly their itineraries provide no inspiration. 

Just saw the 2025/26 Regent release - same issue -- more cookie cutter.

So we look at new ships (like Vista) and maybe some of the small port Seabourn cruises, or an in depth country cruise (Japan) on Regent.  Why limit ones self to one cruise line..  It is fun to explore and see and fell new things..

"Cruise well and enjoy every moment".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sthrngary - LOVE your traveling to Rome tips.  I've saved them in a travel folder.  We've been to Rome twice, and this will provide some great reminders for the next time.  We found many of these to be absolutely true.  Thanks for your postings - I really enjoy them! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Follow Up on my Airline Events:  I really hesitate to comment on Airline preparation. There are some members that are truly experts.  My situation is simply outlining what happen to my reservations and itinerary to possibly help others on some level. 

• Doing My Own Flights: I have chosen to do my own air reservations for a party of four.  Two will use points, the other two will purchase "Fully Refundable Coach".  I made the reservations as soon as the airline (Delta) offered them for sale.  I did this to gain the best value.  That was 330 days prior to departure/return. 
  • Book Early for Best Value: During these 330 days, several of the flights have changed for one reason or another's.  My goal was to have everyone in my party on the same flights so we could all travel together.  
  • Coordination if you have a Group: When some flights changed for one couple, they did not always change for both.  I would call Delta and get the two reservations in-sync again. This has happened twice so far.  For those that say, tie the two reservations together, they are. 
  • Equipment Change Good/Bad: On the long-haul from JFK to Athens, they changed the equipment.  I am very precise where I want to sit on a long haul.  I want the window, in Delta One closest to the window.  Delta changed it with the new equipment.  I changes it back to the seats I wanted.  The GREAT news was I went from Delta One Business Class to Delta One Business Class Suites.  A marked improvement.  The message here is to check your flights and seats often.  
  • Most Recent Airline Change: This morning, our origination flight leaving at 05:30 AM in the morning showed "No Seating" assignments.  I now know what that COULD mean.  The flight is cancelled or there is a change in equipment.  In this case, the flight is cancelled which will put me and our group on the 06:30 AM flight.  This is the first flight out of our airport in the morning so it is rarely and issue to get to Atlanta on time.  We should still have over an hour and 20 minutes layover.  When triple connecting, I give as much fudge room with layovers as reasonable.  You just never know what will happen. 

Conclusion:  If you do your own airfare, changes happen.  Review your flights and seat often to see if it still works for you.  The quicker you get your new seats the better. Just my two cents. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

My cruise is less then 30 days away.  I created my Journey Document which is over 50 pages.  From this my wife and I hosted a dinner with our best friends who are joining us for this cruise.  Because the attention span of my wife and friends is like a NAT, I also created a 30 minute YouTube video.  

Let's say we all had a few drinks prior to putting on the video.  Some of us had one to many.  Somehow a Old Movie was put on the TV pre-YouTube Cruise Video.  It was Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. Paused that Oscar Winning movie to put on the Cruise Video.  I hope all of you reading this learn from my experience.  It took one hour to get through 10 minutes then I gave up and just sent them the link.  I was so frustrated, all I wanted was some confirmations.  I got a few as you will see below.  When I get frustrated, I start doing tequila shots.  I was very happy about 15 minutes later. 

All I wanted was a few understandings.  They were:

1. Confirm timeframes for Air Transportation.  A week later after this dinner, I was ask when we were leaving and coming back.  LOL.  
  2. I asked our friends if they wanted to upgrade their long haul flights.  This was the 50th time I asked the same question.  I got the same answer yet again, "NO". My wife and I used all our Delta Skymiles for Delta One Business Class, and I did not want to feel guilty.  I will get over it. 
  3. We only have less then a day at most ports, you can only do one or two attractions at most.  Once chosen, we can book admission online to eliminate lines. The answers I got was, "You Choose".
  4. How to handle Jetlag.  I traveled every year to Europe and created an approach to get on the time zone quickly.  All I wanted to do was share it and gain agreement.  Hard to do with my three guest talking all ever each other so I just gave up.
  5. Dinner Pre-Cruise in Athens, Greece has been booked for months.  It is on the Highest Mountain overlooking Athens.  All of a sudden, my wife is worried about steps when you take the cable car to the top.  This was the only 100% agreement we got in this meeting.  We all agree, "Just Do It."
  6. Finally, I am happy to report that everyone got their covid boosters, updated their passports, provided the cruise line and airline with necessary information, has travel insurance and has paid in full which is Oceania Cruise Favorite part. 

For all my fellow planners.  Don't stop thinking through your trips.  Just know, very few folks even the ones you love and joining you will take anything seriously until the day before.  Except buying new clothes of course.  I knew all this, from past cruises so none of it was a shock.  I guest the reason why I do it is to feel a little bit more in control especially when so far away from home.  If I miss something that is within my control, I want to make the decision.  Simple concept. 

This will be my last post on this topic.  My next post will be a "Semi-Live" blog while on our cruise.  I will start that blog on November 7, 2023 with the flights, hotels and actual cruise.  Thank everyone for reading this topic and I hope you will watch for the blog when published.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary

Fantastic,less than 30 days to go and I have loved your process and all your shared information and wisdom. Reams of paper and a 30 minute you tube video, OMG. 
With the stuff hitting the fan in Israel, now is the time to pay close attention to other events in other close bye countries. We have had Istanbul cruises cancelled or modified 3 times over the years and NOT made a successful stop there. The President of Turkey has come out on the side of the Palestinian’s so there is always the possibility your itinerary could get a last second modification. 
Whatever cards are dealt, have a FANTASTIC first Oceania cruise.😇👍🙏🤞🛳️
Mauibabes

@Sthrngary

Hello my friend.  Just found your topic and read all posts.  So informative.

As usual, I have learned much from your extensive planning processes.  Is that a word?

I'm confident you have covered all planning bases.  I'm also envious of your upcoming stay at the Grande Bretagne, a  fabulous property, along with your dinner on Mount Lycabettus.

You probably already know this, but Google Translate allows you to download languages to your phone, including Greek.  This will let you translate without Wi-Fi connection.

Please keep up your posts, even though you said this will be your last.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

The President of Turkey has come out on the side of the Palestinian’s so there is always the possibility your itinerary could get a last second modification. 

@mauibabes Yes, this is one of those things you can't control.  I knew that one or more of our ports would be missed.  This board establishes that as an expectation.  I have managed my guest expectations on that.  The moment this conflict happened, I figured Turkey would be that port.  

This is an adventure so anything is better then going to St. Thomas for the 30th time.  Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@Sthrngary

Hello my friend.  Just found your topic and read all posts.  So informative.

As usual, I have learned much from your extensive planning processes.  Is that a word?

I'm confident you have covered all planning bases.  I'm also envious of your upcoming stay at the Grande Bretagne, a  fabulous property, along with your dinner on Mount Lycabettus.

You probably already know this, but Google Translate allows you to download languages to your phone, including Greek.  This will let you translate without Wi-Fi connection.

Please keep up your posts, even though you said this will be your last.  Thank you.

@FetaCheese That was a good idea on the Translator.  I will keep posting and hope to do some live posts on the ship.  Thank you for asking.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My cruise is less then 30 days away. ... This will be my last post on this topic.  My next post will be a "Semi-Live" blog while on our cruise.  I will start that blog on November 7, 2023 with the flights, hotels and actual cruise....

We'll be on Riviera starting October 30th and be on her when you join. Hope to meet you before we get off at Barcelona. I'll be at any Veterans' meet & greet. If the CD doesn't do one, I'm planning on doing one on the sea day, Nov. 13th (Monday), as we go from Istanbul to Messina.

33 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We'll be on Riviera starting October 30th and be on her when you join. Hope to meet you before we get off at Barcelona. I'll be at any Veterans' meet & greet. If the CD doesn't do one, I'm planning on doing one on the sea day, Nov. 13th (Monday), as we go from Istanbul to Messina.

@MEFIowa Absolutely, look forward to meeting you and yours.  Thank you for what you did for our country.  

21 Days Out Online Boarding Pass/Check-IN:

As everyone that goes on a cruise knows, a major milestone is when you can do the "Online Check-In".  It has changed over the years however is basically the same.  For Oceania, it was 21 days in advance of departure.  

This morning was 21 days.  I went online, did the seamless and easy process.  Had to reformate on picture for my wife.  This allowed for the Boarding Pass document to be available which I immediate printed.

I also put a copy of it in my "Journey Document" in the same area as copies of my Travel Insurance Card, Passports, Drivers License's, Hotel Reservations Confirmation, Air Reservation Confirmation, Specialty Restaurant Confirmations, Prestige Drink Package Confirmation, and Cooking Class Confirmation.

Over the years, I used to carry each document in a folder and always had a hard time finding the one I needed.  Now it is located with an agenda page showing a page number for the information. 

Side Note, I fully expect that we will have to take our pictures at the port even though we did it for this online document. That has been my experience up to this point.  

I also made my reservation for a Van (Taxi) to pick us up at the airport in Athens and take us to our hotel.  Another easy process.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

21 Days Out Online Boarding Pass/Check-IN:

As everyone that goes on a cruise knows, a major milestone is when you can do the "Online Check-In".  It has changed over the years however is basically the same.  For Oceania, it was 21 days in advance of departure.  

This morning was 21 days.  I went online, did the seamless and easy process.  Had to reformate on picture for my wife.  This allowed for the Boarding Pass document to be available which I immediate printed.

I also put a copy of it in my "Journey Document" in the same area as copies of my Travel Insurance Card, Passports, Drivers License's, Hotel Reservations Confirmation, Air Reservation Confirmation, Specialty Restaurant Confirmations, Prestige Drink Package Confirmation, and Cooking Class Confirmation.

Over the years, I used to carry each document in a folder and always had a hard time finding the one I needed.  Now it is located with an agenda page showing a page number for the information. 

Side Note, I fully expect that we will have to take our pictures at the port even though we did it for this online document. That has been my experience up to this point.  

I also made my reservation for a Van (Taxi) to pick us up at the airport in Athens and take us to our hotel.  Another easy process.  

I organize all my paper docs in the order needed: air, hotel, cruise.  Makes it easier to locate when needed.

Have read that "George's Taxi" in ATH has been used and highly recommended by CC pax.

I skipped the photo upload during online check-in, as other pax reported that they will always take your photos at in-person check-in.

Do you sleep at night? The anticipation must be building!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

I organize all my paper docs in the order needed: air, hotel, cruise.  Makes it easier to locate when needed.

Have read that "George's Taxi" in ATH has been used and highly recommended by CC pax.

I skipped the photo upload during online check-in, as other pax reported that they will always take your photos at in-person check-in.

Do you sleep at night? The anticipation must be building!

@FetaCheese Hello old friend. I learned a long time ago, prepare but don't anticipate to much. I once did not enjoy a cruise that I visualized to much.  It was anticlimactic.  Especially with cruises, they never go quite as planned.  My wife and friends joining us are now concerned about the conflict.  I attempted to tell them many of the ports cruise ships are going to after their port was cancelled are our ports. 

I fully agree with the photo thing.  But I did it anyway.  I am a detail guy and that would keep me up at night.  I really appreciate the hard work you did on your blog.  You were completely balanced.  I hope to pay you back by taking your lead.  

The Taxi Service I booked for Airport to hotel and hotel to Port was Athens Airport Taxi.  Also well rated.  Reasonable price for a Sprinter van for four adults and lots of luggage.  Now we have 21 days with nothing to do but stay on our diets.  That diet was the hardest part of going on this cruise.  My hope is, it was all worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 12:21 PM, Sthrngary said:

Follow Up on my Airline Events:  I really hesitate to comment on Airline preparation. There are some members that are truly experts.  My situation is simply outlining what happen to my reservations and itinerary to possibly help others on some level. 

• Doing My Own Flights: I have chosen to do my own air reservations for a party of four.  Two will use points, the other two will purchase "Fully Refundable Coach".  I made the reservations as soon as the airline (Delta) offered them for sale.  I did this to gain the best value.  That was 330 days prior to departure/return. 
  • Book Early for Best Value: During these 330 days, several of the flights have changed for one reason or another's.  My goal was to have everyone in my party on the same flights so we could all travel together.  
  • Coordination if you have a Group: When some flights changed for one couple, they did not always change for both.  I would call Delta and get the two reservations in-sync again. This has happened twice so far.  For those that say, tie the two reservations together, they are. 
  • Equipment Change Good/Bad: On the long-haul from JFK to Athens, they changed the equipment.  I am very precise where I want to sit on a long haul.  I want the window, in Delta One closest to the window.  Delta changed it with the new equipment.  I changes it back to the seats I wanted.  The GREAT news was I went from Delta One Business Class to Delta One Business Class Suites.  A marked improvement.  The message here is to check your flights and seats often.  
  • Most Recent Airline Change: This morning, our origination flight leaving at 05:30 AM in the morning showed "No Seating" assignments.  I now know what that COULD mean.  The flight is cancelled or there is a change in equipment.  In this case, the flight is cancelled which will put me and our group on the 06:30 AM flight.  This is the first flight out of our airport in the morning so it is rarely and issue to get to Atlanta on time.  We should still have over an hour and 20 minutes layover.  When triple connecting, I give as much fudge room with layovers as reasonable.  You just never know what will happen. 

Conclusion:  If you do your own airfare, changes happen.  Review your flights and seat often to see if it still works for you.  The quicker you get your new seats the better. Just my two cents. 

The reason your flights changed is that while tickets are sold at 330 days, the schedules are not finalized until about 100 days out.

I also book my personal travel 330 days out, especially award based travel.   Just be prepared to have changes in the itinerary. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:10 AM, Yesimapirate said:

The reason your flights changed is that while tickets are sold at 330 days, the schedules are not finalized until about 100 days out.

I also book my personal travel 330 days out, especially award based travel.   Just be prepared to have changes in the itinerary. 

@Yesimapirate Funny thing happened this morning at 05:15 AM. It is 14 days before our flight.  Delta offered an upgrade for our guest (best friends) from "Refundable Coach" seats to "Delta One Business Class Suite" for $698.00 each.  Yesterday, the amount for upgrade was $2,850.00 each. We booked our our flights but if we had booked with Oceania Air, the upgrade amount to "Coach Premium" would have been $299.00 per person each way. I saw that and knew that those seats would be gone quickly.  The number of Business Class seats went from 12 yesterdays to 6 today.  

I immediately upgraded them both and did not even ask.  My friend is on a limited budget, he always says no to extra's so I figured to have them in Business Class with my wife and I on the longest 10.5 hour flight is worth the money. I am quite sure he will say "NO", but be very surprised when he sees his seat on the long haul flight in JFK.  

The way I look at life, with all that is going on, is "Life Is Fragile and to short".  Bring a little joy to others if you can and in doing so, you get the most joy.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Yesimapirate Funny thing happened this morning at 05:15 AM. It is 14 days before our flight.  Delta offered an upgrade for our guest (best friends) from "Refundable Coach" seats to "Delta One Business Class Suite" for $698.00 each. ... I immediately upgraded them both and did not even ask....

Though we all know that if you want to pay for upgraded seats, you can, if they are available. Whether it is worth it is an individual matter....

Since our B3 cabin on Riviera is only $1749 for these upcoming 10 nights (11/9-19/23), that price you paid is 40% of the cost of the cruise and about 70% of the cost of our airfare. I'd rather be a smidge uncomfortable on a flight and use the money for other things of greater value.

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though we all know that if you want to pay for upgraded seats, you can, if they are available. Whether it is worth it is an individual matter....

Since our B3 cabin on Riviera is only $1749 for these upcoming 10 nights (11/9-19/23), that price you paid is 40% of the cost of the cruise and about 70% of the cost of our airfare. I'd rather be a smidge uncomfortable on a flight and use the money for other things of greater value.

@MEFIowa I totally respect your opinion and it is a good one.  Once at your location, and in your stateroom, all is forgotten about the flight.  Thank you for commenting. 

Hi Sthrngary,

I notice that you have an overnight in Istanbul on your cruise and have a shopping suggestion for you - assuming you have a small window in your Excel spreadsheet.  🙂

There is a textiles store (Jennifer's Hamam) with towels, pestamals, blankets and more, out of linen, cotton and silk, on the Arasta Bazaar street near the Blue Mosque.  If you like their products, they can walk you to their multi-floored showroom nearby.  It has a huge variety.  Their products are unique and beautiful.  

Jennifer, a Canadian, has established relationships with Turkish artisans, and is proud to pay women well for the remarkable work they do.  Have a look at her website jennifershamam dot com.  

We bought far too much in 2019, use it every day and it is still as good as new.  And we have ordered products from them for wedding gifts, which they have shipped directly.

It's fun to find souvenirs that are not only decorative, but also useful.

Intrigued?

Cheers,

Greg from WildWanderers

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@MEFIowa I totally respect your opinion and it is a good one.  Once at your location, and in your stateroom, all is forgotten about the flight. ...

Though since we're doing a B2B on Riviera starting on 10/30, we'll be quite rested on 11/9. Disembarking for the day as part of the passengers continuing on Riviera for the next segment. Seeing Athens that day.

Of course, when you bring up actual $ amounts, I just rub my hands and say, "Thank God for the Extraordinary Savings Sale". Our A3 for the first 10 nights is only $1899 PP. That airfare upgrade is 37% of that fare.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WildWanderers said:

I notice that you have an overnight in Istanbul on your cruise and have a shopping suggestion for you - assuming you have a small window in your Excel spreadsheet.  🙂

@WildWanderers LMAO, you got me right.  However, I love your suggestions. 

27 minutes ago, WildWanderers said:

There is a textiles store (Jennifer's Hamam) with towels, pestamals, blankets and more, out of linen, cotton and silk, on the Arasta Bazaar street near the Blue Mosque.  If you like their products, they can walk you to their multi-floored showroom nearby.  It has a huge variety.  Their products are unique and beautiful.  

Jennifer, a Canadian, has established relationships with Turkish artisans, and is proud to pay women well for the remarkable work they do.  Have a look at her website jennifershamam dot com.  

We bought far too much in 2019, use it every day and it is still as good as new.  And we have ordered products from them for wedding gifts, which they have shipped directly.

It's fun to find souvenirs that are not only decorative, but also useful.

This suggestion was so thoughtful of you.  We were planning on going to the Blue Mosque as one of our main places so this is perfect.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Yesimapirate Funny thing happened this morning at 05:15 AM. It is 14 days before our flight.  Delta offered an upgrade for our guest (best friends) from "Refundable Coach" seats to "Delta One Business Class Suite" for $698.00 each.  Yesterday, the amount for upgrade was $2,850.00 each. We booked our our flights but if we had booked with Oceania Air, the upgrade amount to "Coach Premium" would have been $299.00 per person each way. I saw that and knew that those seats would be gone quickly.  The number of Business Class seats went from 12 yesterdays to 6 today.  

I immediately upgraded them both and did not even ask.  My friend is on a limited budget, he always says no to extra's so I figured to have them in Business Class with my wife and I on the longest 10.5 hour flight is worth the money. I am quite sure he will say "NO", but be very surprised when he sees his seat on the long haul flight in JFK.  

Sthrngary, what a generous and kind thing to do!! 💗

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@WildWanderers LMAO, you got me right.  However, I love your suggestions. 

This suggestion was so thoughtful of you.  We were planning on going to the Blue Mosque as one of our main places so this is perfect.  Thank you.

I know you plan meticulously so thus might be a little too late but we had the most amazing guide last year in Istanbul.   She was incredibly knowledgeable, personable,  could speak equally on a manner to make my wife comfortable and still answer my in depth and esoteric questions about history.   The best part was she had other guides she's friends with waiting in line for the mosques and we simply joined them at the front.  Less than a 5 minute wait when the line was 2 hours plus!  She even bought us lunch at a local culinary institute that teaches students to make traditional Turkish dishes.

Oh, did I mention that this private tour for 2 of us was just $100 for 8 hours?   She's absolutely amazing!  We really got lucky and it shows in depth research pays off.  

If you'd like, I can get her info from my wife as they stay in touch.   She's also mentioned in the shore excursion section here.  Her name was Ozi.

• Thanks 1