Need advice on Skagway excursion: White pass RR and Walking Tour

Wolf16

Afternoon, 

Looking for advice on choosing which White pass RR excursion to do. Im looking at either:

Whitepass to Bennett lake Yukon Visit, bus back: all day adventure. 

Whitepass Railway round trip 2 hour version, then come back and tour the town and do the Ghosts and Girls Tour/Red Onion Etc...

Price isnt an issue, just dont know whats best to maximize the limited time we have in port. 

Thanks and appreciate all the help,

Wolf

1 hour ago, Wolf16 said:

Afternoon, 

Looking for advice on choosing which White pass RR excursion to do. Im looking at either:

Whitepass to Bennett lake Yukon Visit, bus back: all day adventure. 

Whitepass Railway round trip 2 hour version, then come back and tour the town and do the Ghosts and Girls Tour/Red Onion Etc...

Price isnt an issue, just dont know whats best to maximize the limited time we have in port. 

Thanks and appreciate all the help,

Wolf

Go with Chilcoot Charters for their train excursion up and bus excursion back - it is great and the lunch is good too.

• Like 2

Do the trip that has the train both up and back as the scenery is much better than the bus.  Do not waste money and book the VIP seats on the train.  

The Ghosts and Good Time Girls Walking tour is a lot of fun-prepare to shake your booty!  

The Bennett Lake tour is one of the best tours in SE Alaska.  If you can, do it with Chilkoot rather than through the ship.  Train up, bus down is preferred.  Skagway is a bit crowded for me on busy days.  I don't care to hang out at the Red Onion as it's always packed and noisy but I do like their sign.  

• Like 1

Bennett Lake is beautiful.  There is a lot of Gold Rush history that takes you to Bennett Lake.  The Chilkoot Trail starts in Dyea near Skagway and ends at Lake Bennett where the gold rushers prepared for the continuation of their journey to Whitehorse and Dawson City.  Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:10 PM, YVRteacher said:

Do the trip that has the train both up and back as the scenery is much better than the bus.  Do not waste money and book the VIP seats on the train.  

I disagree. The scenery is the same on the train both directions. I suggest train one way and bus the other way. The scenery is different on bus than train. On the bus you can get out and take pictures and I like the scenery on both ways of transportation.

I have never done VIP seats.

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Train over bus any day. You can ride the bus whenever you want at home year round.

The bus will stop at sites such as Emerald Lake which you don't get at home. Chilkoot tours uses more of a large van. I really like the scenery on the bus and getting out and taking pictures. I recommend one way bus and one way train.