LIVE from the Ruby Princess: April 2-9, 2023 Western Caribbean from Galveston

talkorpi

21 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Which maritime academy did you graduate from?

I do not have to have graduated from a maritime academy (although my husband and I are experienced navigators - albeit of much smaller vessels) to know there would have been no harm in waiting. We were scheduled to be at Roatan from 7 until 4:30, but we left shortly after 7. While we may not have been able to dock (and that is questionable) we could have continued to circle the island to wait and see if the weather improved.

4 hours ago, ingesey said:

🤷🏻‍♀️

No one thinks that the weather is Princess’ fault, but I do think that we could have docked at Roatan, that the Captain gave up too soon.

This Captain has been bringing his ship into port at Roatan every week for a few months. Do you really think that you know better than he does regarding docking his ship under various conditions?

Are you aware of the years of training and experience a person has to have before being appointed as a Captain of a huge passenger ship?

He is aware how disappointed the passengers would be about the missed port they have looked forward to visiting. I am quite certain he did NOT take this decision lightly and certainly not did give up too soon!

Edited by TexasBrit
spelling correction
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, eclue said:

The other ships might have been docking at a different port - not Mahogany Bay . We missed 3 ports in the north Atlantic and it was not hurricane season - high winds and rough seas are often issues. and yes it was on Princess and there were other lines doing the same.

We have done over 50 cruise on different cruise lines - most of them on Princess because we find them to be the best and missing ports is one of the hazards of cruising.

the cruise line should in no way refund you money for weather related issues. I think the RC Allure had issues on this time date also.

Maybe you are more suited to the RC line . They all hold to the same standards of safety. In my mind it is better to be safe than sorry. In the end, one must make the best of what it is.

I can understand that having been on 50 cruises, it may not be a big deal to miss the majority of the ports of call on a cruise. However, this is my 4th cruise, and I am turning 42 on Monday. I work in public education so in spite of my graduate level education, I earn 1/2 of what I would in the private sector, so this trip was a splurge for me. This is not one of multiple cruises we are taking this year, this is our ONLY family vacation. So it does matter, if to no one else but me. And I do not understand why the multibillion dollar cruise industry gets a pass. Can you imagine an airline not refunding or rebooking a flight that was canceled due to the weather?!? A hotel not refunding guests for a service that was not provided due to the weather?!? This cruise has made a ton of money, and even more so when ports of call are canceled, because guests are spending all of their money on the ship. The $75 onboard credit is money they are getting back (not losing), but are just taking a small decrease in their profit margin. But like I said, I guess cruising is not my cup of tea….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i know this doesn't compare but over the holidays the airline cancelled my flight and said- oh yes we can send you in 1 week, a week from today.  that's all we can do.  

you mean when my trips over and vacation times over and my place i'm staying isn't available. 

yes that's what we mean.  here is $100 each ticket for your inconvenience 

Just finished the Marriage Match show (I keep wanting to call it the Love & Marriage show). These shows are always hilarious and this was no exception. I have said before that I have found the entertainment lackluster on this cruise but these game shows are the exception. I love the flow of dinner -> production show -> game show and the game shows have failed to disappoint yet. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

this was a trip to mexico with my whole family.  terrible customer service 

I am so sorry! Last summer my 17 year old son was almost stranded in another country because according to Delta, paying for an economy fare is no longer a guarantee that you have a spot on the plane. Thankfully someone had pity on him and offered him their seat on the flight. This was a reserved AND paid for ticket. It blows my mind!!! Until we unite together and let corporations know that they need to honor their commitments, I feel that we are only going to get more screwed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, parytimeson said:

Thanks for sharing this.  They actually said some nice words about our cruise in two days:

Sailing on April 9, Ruby Princess will embark on a five-night ’80s-themed Caribbean getaway, transporting guests back in time with various themed events, music, and activities. The cruise will feature live music sets from a Journey tribute band, a Bon Jovi Tribute band, and a Prince tribute band.

Passengers can also enjoy ’80s TV shows in their staterooms and watch ’80s blockbusters by the pool. Other themed activities include an ’80s deck party, live music, dances, trivia, costumes, and dress-up night.

1 hour ago, talkorpi said:

Just finished seeing the production show Stardust. I actually really liked it! I was born 4 weeks early but in all actuality I feel like I was actually born approximately 70 years late. I LOVE the music of the 40’s, 50’s, and early 60’s and it was so nice to fee like I was in my twenties in the decade I actually should’ve been that age in. 😂😂😂

I'm glad you enjoyed the show.  I think we're going to miss this show during our upcoming cruise.  See above for what's going to replace it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The cruise will feature live music sets from a Journey tribute band, a Bon Jovi Tribute band, and a Prince tribute band.

I've seen both tribute bands in Music Hall on Anthem of Seas (Wanted and DSB). You are in for a real treat. WANTED was probably the best Bon Jovi cover I've ever seen. Enjoy!!

• Like 2

Tomorrow’s patter. Not that impressed to be honest. I don’t know why they keep scheduling the trivias at the same time as other one-time events. Like, I really wanted to go to tomorrow’s trivia but why on earth schedule it during the cooking demo? And the egg drop challenge are also at the same time. What da heck? Those are like the only things to do all day that don’t involve a sales pitch!

FC881C15-A0BC-4EA8-89DF-0E55C758EDF2.jpeg

B20E6628-696A-4EF3-B927-304F08B2C041.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've seen both tribute bands in Music Hall on Anthem of Seas (Wanted and DSB). You are in for a real treat. WANTED was probably the best Bon Jovi cover I've ever seen. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the heads up!  I've had others say kind words about them, but it's always nice to hear more.

P.S.  On my other 80s themed cruise on the Regal 1 1/2 years ago, we got Slippery When Wet.  They were pretty good; about as good as a BJ tribute band can be, IMHO (I'm not a fan).

IMG_20211202_215321.thumb.jpg.c1f96e7822dda949a601ac8d06e980d0.jpg

4 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

I also just realized that we never got The Voice of the Ocean on this cruise. What the heck?! That sucks. I was really looking forward to that

I don't know why you're not getting The Voice on your cruise, but our schedule shows two nights of it.  My view is I'd rather watch the tribute bands and the comedian.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:57 PM, talkorpi said:

Okay, I know that was a lot of posts in a row about food but I just wanted to express how incredible our dinner was tonight. Again, huge thank you to Milos and the entire chef’s team at Sabatini’s for producing such an incredible meal. The service lasted about 2 1/2 hours but I was completely fine with that. Truly magnifico!

I have never eaten at Sabatini's - it looks like you ordered everything on the menu. I had thought you could only order one item from each category. This was a wonderful review. Can't wait till our sailing in August on the Crown - and hope everything is just as good. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

I have never eaten at Sabatini's - it looks like you ordered everything on the menu. I had thought you could only order one item from each category. This was a wonderful review. Can't wait till our sailing in August on the Crown - and hope everything is just as good. 

Thanks! There were two of us and we ordered one item from each course. However we had a late reservation and were one of the last parties dining by dessert time which is why I believe our waiter just brought us one of everything for dessert. We certainly did not ask for that or plan on doing that but it was a nice gesture and allowed us to try a bit of everything. 

It was sooooooo good. Hoping you enjoy it just as much as we did on the Crown!

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't know why you're not getting The Voice on your cruise, but our schedule shows two nights of it.  My view is I'd rather watch the tribute bands and the comedian.

I don’t either!! I’m sure it has something to do with our screwed up itinerary but it shouldn’t have affected it THAT much!

That really stinks. I’ve been doing research and following along for months and it seems that every previous 7-day on Ruby has had Voice of the Ocean until now. Ugh. What a rollercoaster ride this cruise has been

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Thanks! There were two of us and we ordered one item from each course. However we had a late reservation and were one of the last parties dining by dessert time which is why I believe our waiter just brought us one of everything for dessert. We certainly did not ask for that or plan on doing that but it was a nice gesture and allowed us to try a bit of everything. 

It was sooooooo good. Hoping you enjoy it just as much as we did on the Crown!

THank you - it will be me, wife and 24 year-old grandson. He is an expert at Italian cuisine and is really looking forward to his first cruise on Princess( he's been on lots of Carnival). Your pictures and descriptions were fantastic, and I may need to order more than just one from each category and don't care if it costs extra. We have always loved Sabatinis - and I may be wrong, but I think this is a new and improved menu

• Like 1

We went to the Captain's Circle party tonight.  The captain can be pretty funny as he told stories mostly about himself.  Probably the most personable captain we have ever come across.  Here are the statistics for our cruise for those interested:

First timers 1956

Gold (after one cruise) 558

Ruby (after three cruises) 199

Platinum (after 5 cruises) 298

Elite (after 15 cruises) 132

1st most - 1799 days

2nd most - 1034 days

3rd most - 993 days

Earlier I was told 360 minors aboard.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We went to the Captain's Circle party tonight.  The captain can be pretty funny as he told stories mostly about himself.  Probably the most personable captain we have ever come across.  Here are the statistics for our cruise for those interested:

First timers 1956

1st most - 1799 days

2nd most - 1034 days

3rd most - 993 days

I wonder how many of the 1956 first timers will ever take a Princess cruise again after this week’s chaos… 🤔😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

First timers 1956

1st most - 1799 days

2nd most - 1034 days

3rd most - 993 days

The numbers were similar on our 3-19 sailing, lots of newbies. Yes, Captain Lewis is quite an entertaining guy. We have sailed with him 3 times this year.  Being a SOASOAS, I never wanted to miss his noon announcements. When we board tomorrow, he will start his holiday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, talkorpi said:

I wonder how many of the 1956 first timers will ever take a Princess cruise again after this week’s chaos… 🤔😂😂

I am pretty sure we won’t. 😂

But seriously, thank you for doing this live review. It is definitely interesting to hear the point of view of another passenger on the ship.

I am glad that you enjoyed dinner at Sabatini’s. We are eating there tonight to *celebrate* my birthday. I am a little sad though that you must have  missed dinner last, it was probably one of the best for people who like seafood/meat. And my daughter tried escargot for the first time. 🤢 

I attached some pictures…

Speaking of which one thing that your review didn’t touch on was meal options for vegetarians (which would make sense if you are not one!). I was so excited the first night because there were multiple options in each category. Since then that has only happened one night. With how many vegetarians/vegans that are probably on the ship, it would have been nice to have more options. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts & your experiences! 

85632ADE-6FE2-43F3-BF5E-BD4A069438DA.jpeg

204C5138-F7F9-482B-8DE6-6F97CF99508D.jpeg

88E91D4A-F6D2-44A4-8FDC-0B7F34DF338E.jpeg

637F2D4E-3143-4BB3-BFAA-CFC1A2EBB521.jpeg

DADEE7F9-A66D-43E2-8797-73A1A8AF57C4.jpeg

8720D32C-451D-4D59-B1D0-D075C9D6EE74.jpeg

Edited by ingesey
  • Like 3