Stockholm questions

We will be docking at the F638 Frihamnen berth for an overnight in Stockholm in mid May. We are trying to determine the best way to spend our 2 days there. The cruise line tours don't appear to be the best. We looked at Viator tours, but are uncertain about getting to the initial meeting points. It looks like tickets for the Vasa museum can be purchased online, but while some of the website will display in English, the ticket purchasing portion does not seem to, and there are a couple of options offered. Is it practical to walk to the museum from the pier? What would you suggest as to how to spend 2 days in Stockholm? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Edited by luv2travel06

I'll try to give you some answers.

It's way too far to walk to the museum from the pier. What you can do is travel by bus since bus #76 goes by Frihamnen. It won't pass the museum but you can get off at Djugårdsbron stop and walk a few hundred meters across the bridge to the museum (there are signs to show you the proper direction).

The bus stop is on the right and the bridge you have to cross is on the left. The Vasa museum is to the right of the big building with small towers (which is another museum).
https://www.google.com/maps/@59.3318634,18.0931717,3a,90y,209.24h,89.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suJRHDD2RTjo6HItzgESUug!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Ticket info for public transport: https://sl.se/en/in-english/fares--tickets/

Other things to do is to walk around Old Town and visit the Royal Palace-
Lot's of other museums at Djurgården (like Nordiska museet which is next door to Vasa).

So if you are into museums, you could spend one day at Djurgården and the other day at Old Town + Royal Palace. There are also walking tours in Old Town, both Stockholm Ghostwalk and Christopher O' Reagan. Both of these are usually very popular so book well in advance if you are interested.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 2

Our cruise this summer departs from Stockholm, so we are doing a couple days pre-stay there. We're staying in the Old Town area, and everything there is very easy walking distance (assuming you have no mobility issues). They have a ferry system, which we plan to use to go between Old Town and the area with the Vasa museum. The ABBA museum is next to Vasa; not sure if that is of interest to you, though. Our teen daughter is very keen to go LOL! My husband was told by a Swedish colleague that we will have the museums to ourselves if the weather is nice, b/c no locals will be indoors in summer if the weather is good.

I have not bought tickets in advance, as we'll do this closer to the date or day-of, but the Vasa site seems to translate for me. Maybe you are on a mobile version that doesn't? I'm on Chrome on a laptop and have it set to auto-translate Swedish to English, but it looks like I'm on an English version of the site (https://www.vasamuseet.se/en). The two options are Vasa Museum Entrance Ticket (170 SEK) or Vasa Museum and Vrak Museum Combo Entry Ticket (290 SEK).

Don't worry about cash, by the way. Sweden seems to be cashless (or nearly-cashless), so I have no plans to hit an ATM at all. 

• Like 1

Stockholm was a very easy city to tour independently, so I would not recommend a ship tour.  I was pregnant and had a 3 year old, and we were able to easily traverse Stockholm via public transportation and the HOHO boat.   You should look at all the attractions (start by viewing where the ship tours are going) and pick whatever looks the most interesting to you.

We purchased the Stockholm Card for museum entrance and public transportation access (now called Go City All Inclusive Pass) ( https://gocity.com/stockholm/en-us/products/all-inclusive ).  Please note that 9 years ago it was very expensive, so I would imagine that hasn't changed.  If you are planning on visiting a lot of expensive museums (which we did), it is worth it but you'll need to calculate that out for yourselves.  The stockholm card used to include public transportation.  Now the Go City All inclusive pass includes the HOHO Boats and HOHO buses.  You'd need to check with the HOHO companies for a current schedule this summer, but 9 years ago the HOHO boats ran directly from the cruise ship terminals to Vasa prior to 10 am.  We were able to get to Vasa right at opening (8:30 in the summer), when it wasn't crowded and it was a much more enjoyable visit.  We also took a HOHO boat from Galma Stan directly back to our cruise ship, and the HOHO boats were lovely - it was really nice being on the water and viewing the city that way.  

The majority of our transport was on public transportation in Stockholm, which worked out very well if the Stockholm Card with the HOHO access isn't the right choice for you.  You can purchase a 24 hour or 72 hour SL transportation card, which will give you access to the public buses, ferries, subways and trams.  I'm terrible with directions and would just go to the information desk of one museum and asked them how to get to the next one we were visiting, and they would explain which tram/subway/bus to take.  That worked out quite well for us.

If anyone has kids or likes animals, my signature line includes my review for this cruise and description of what we did, but because we had a 3 year old in tow, I can't necessarily make recommendations that would be best for the OP.  If the OP needs more help than has been provided above, could you please tell us more about your interests?  Stockholm was a city where there were so many amazing things to do if we know more about what you like we might be able to better direct you.

• Like 2

HoHo boats doesn't go to Frihamnen, Also HoHo boats (and buses) doesn't use a direct route but rather a multi point stops clockwise from Vasa so they are a quite slow way to get around.

From Djurgården/Vasa there is also harbour ferries (public transport) that departs from Allmänna gränd.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3286049,18.0921955/Allmänna+gränd/@59.3284197,18.0927239,171m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d5547c2528b:0x30c914a4f5a65e1d!2m2!1d18.0946181!2d59.324081!3e2

• Like 1

Depending on mobility we used the Bolt scooters to get around,we liked it because it costs less than a public transit ticket and we could take it right to the entrance. Once you start using it they gave us an option for a 24 pass. I

I would recommend doing the tour of the Town Hall where they do the Pulitzer prize dinner (it's also the city goverment) and it's a short walk to the old town where the Palace and government office is (their version of the federal government- these tours are free).

Vasa is in a separate area with a few other musuems. This is the one thing you have  to do and if you do it right when it opens you wil l have an hour to enjoy it unencumbered before it gets crowded. If you have kids the nearby Viking museum is fun, it has a ride, but skip it your are adults. They have an open air park that was nice to see where the locals hang out near the Vasa. It was fun for the kids to play and have a snack, but it was during a heat wave when we visited, so we have up on it quickly.

Grundalund theme park was also a good time if you like theme parks and roller coasters. We traveled with kids, but I really liked their theme park, so it was fun for adults too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bearette said:

Depending on mobility we used the Bolt scooters to get around,we liked it because it costs less than a public transit ticket and we could take it right to the entrance. Once you start using it they gave us an option for a 24 pass. I

I would recommend doing the tour of the Town Hall where they do the Pulitzer prize dinner (it's also the city goverment) and it's a short walk to the old town where the Palace and government office is (their version of the federal government- these tours are free).

Vasa is in a separate area with a few other musuems. This is the one thing you have  to do and if you do it right when it opens you wil l have an hour to enjoy it unencumbered before it gets crowded. If you have kids the nearby Viking museum is fun, it has a ride, but skip it your are adults. They have an open air park that was nice to see where the locals hang out near the Vasa. It was fun for the kids to play and have a snack, but it was during a heat wave when we visited, so we have up on it quickly.

Grundalund theme park was also a good time if you like theme parks and roller coasters. We traveled with kids, but I really liked their theme park, so it was fun for adults too.

Nobel prize dinner.
CIty hall tour requires you to buy tickets on the same day:

https://stadshuset.stockholm/en/visit-stockholm-city-hall/guided-tours/

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bearette said:

City Hall is pay for, but the other one is free - just to clarify there are two places to visit- the city and country government buildings. 

The government building is Rosenbad which is located on Norrmalam. You are not allowed to visit Rosenbad.
The parliament (Riksdagen) is located on Helgeandsholmen which is a small island situated between Norrmalm and Stadsholmen (Old Town). The parliament is open for visitors but only via a guided tour. Guided tours are held Monday-Friday during the summer (july- mid September), but only at 12.00 and 13.30. The rest of the year guided tours are held on Saturdays and Sundays at 12.00 and 13.30

The City hall is located on Kungsholmen and houses both the city parliament (kommunfullmäktige) and city government (kommunstyrelsen).

• 2 weeks later...

Another  transportation questions, getting around !

We will be staying at Hotel NOFO  in Sodermalm  for three nights: June 9,10,11 .

ON Saturday we want to go to old town area and visit the Pulitzer Museum Palace and Cathedral  and walk around  area.  

Question: can we take a bus from near hotel to Palace area?  I do see bus stop near hotel. Being the weekend do buses run less frequently? 

Also I see on goggle map there is Transit/ metro stop near hotel, but where would one get off closest to Palace?  

On Sunday we will stay in Sodemalm and attend church at Katarina Kryka, visit the City museum of Stockholm and go to Fotografiska.  I figure we can walk to all these places?

Want to  eat at Meatballs for the People  on Sunday for Lunch  or dinner(dinner reservations needed?

On June 12 we board the Viking Jupiter which docks over night in Stockholm. We have a Viking Museum tour booked from ship for July 13.

Would love feedback on this  weekend schedule. TIA    

Edited by Azulann

Put  hotel in Google maps and then ask for directions using the bus/train lego. It will tell you the options from your hotel and if you change time -for the appropriate time you want to leave.

Edited by bearette
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bearette said:

Put  hotel in Google maps and then ask for directions using the bus/train lego. It will tell you the options from your hotel and if you change time -for the appropriate time you want to leave.

Yes, thank you for the suggestion.  I have download the latest Goggle app for my iPhone. Even looking at a  YouTube tutorial on all the features of this app.  

I was hopping someone in Stockholm or someone who has been to Stockholm could give me an idea how far our hotel is from old town and the terrain , very hilly or not?

Edited by Azulann

On 4/19/2023 at 4:35 PM, Azulann said:

Another  transportation questions, getting around !

We will be staying at Hotel NOFO  in Sodermalm  for three nights: June 9,10,11 .

ON Saturday we want to go to old town area and visit the Pulitzer Museum Palace and Cathedral  and walk around  area.  

Question: can we take a bus from near hotel to Palace area?  I do see bus stop near hotel. Being the weekend do buses run less frequently? 

Also I see on goggle map there is Transit/ metro stop near hotel, but where would one get off closest to Palace?  

On Sunday we will stay in Sodemalm and attend church at Katarina Kryka, visit the City museum of Stockholm and go to Fotografiska.  I figure we can walk to all these places?

Want to  eat at Meatballs for the People  on Sunday for Lunch  or dinner(dinner reservations needed?

On June 12 we board the Viking Jupiter which docks over night in Stockholm. We have a Viking Museum tour booked from ship for July 13.

Would love feedback on this  weekend schedule. TIA    

Bus will be closest. Use Bus 76 and you won't have to change.And yes buses run less frequent on Saturdays, Sundays and other red days,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nytorgsgatan,+116+22+Stockholm/Slottsbacken/@59.3201965,18.0662633,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f9991f2257:0xc7f3466f4c53ea23!2m2!1d18.0806675!2d59.3152032!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d580fab837b:0xb20c53e393dfe2ce!2m2!1d18.075233!2d59.326004!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1682326800!3e3

You can walk /about 20 minutes), down hill from hotel to Slussen, but then slightly uphill towards the palace.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

Bus will be closest. Use Bus 76 and you won't have to change.And yes buses run less frequent on Saturdays, Sundays and other red days,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nytorgsgatan,+116+22+Stockholm/Slottsbacken/@59.3201965,18.0662633,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f9991f2257:0xc7f3466f4c53ea23!2m2!1d18.0806675!2d59.3152032!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d580fab837b:0xb20c53e393dfe2ce!2m2!1d18.075233!2d59.326004!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1682326800!3e3

You can walk /about 20 minutes), down hill from hotel to Slussen, but then slightly uphill towards the palace.

Thank you so much for the information!

Will take the bus  or maybe even walk if it  is a very nice  day to old town area. 

So looking forward to our stay in Stockholm before our cruise on the Baltic Sea. 

• Like 1