HDMI cable on Eclipse

BlackGrach

The ship's have been upgraded since the picture above -  they now use an Ethernet connection to the TV. 

I have used this on all classes of ships S, M and E.    Unlike the old systems -  the new system doesn't use a tuner and instead are more like a computer terminal using a URL launcher.

It is important to plug your HDMI powered up device before turning on TV so it recognizes something is on that port.   Most of the time it will also recognize it live but not always.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The ship's have been upgraded since the picture above -  they now use an Ethernet connection to the TV. 

I have used this on all classes of ships S, M and E.    Unlike the old systems -  the new system doesn't use a tuner and instead are more like a computer terminal using a URL launcher.

It is important to plug your HDMI powered up device before turning on TV so it recognizes something is on that port.   Most of the time it will also recognize it live but not always.

Interesting.  Our stateroom television aboard Constellation last November was not set up the way you described, t was set up the old way.  Connecting to the HDMI and changing the input source was done like you would at home using the television's (Samsung) remote control which is pictured.

image.thumb.jpeg.00e948e45b15cc8148cedaf

Edited by mahdnc

I've not been on Constellation but have been on Millennium. Solstice, Silhouette, Summit, Equinox and Edge in the last year and they were all the same.    This is what they looked like.    We only travel in suites and I was just assuming all the TVs would be the same.

On this one I had 3 HDMI devices plugged in.  

Also there was no input button on the TV.   I tried my home Samsung and would change ports -  BUT it messed up the TV connection and couldn't get back the main screen -  i had to have the butler have IT reboot my TV connection (remotely).

IMG_0801.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

It does look like they are using a RG6 (coaxial Cable).     All the TV's I've seen now use an Ethernet cable .      Also if you look at the Port Selection Menu -

The first Icon is the URL Launcher (which points to a internal webpage) for main menu.

The Second is -   Wireless Mirroring (which doesn't work real well)

The others are the  HDMI 1, 2, 3   AV or Component   (they will light up if something plugged into them and then you can select).

IMG_4775.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

I have to say at least in the CS and above suits it can really be a pain to try to get your hands behind the frame and get the HDMI device plugged in.   The ports are about a foot in from the edge of the frame. 

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I am currently on Eclipse and they have the old system as pictured in post #2

That makes a little more sense to me because changing the way the stateroom televisions are connected (aka upgrading) would be pretty expensive and might be something that would be done during the Revolution makeover.     

Perhaps the televisions in the suites (or higher level suites) are setup differently.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It does look like they are using a RG6 (coaxial Cable). 

I also thought the surge protected power strip was interesting.  It didn't come from me and it had "Audio Video Dept" (or something like that) written on it in black marker.

• Haha 1

Interesting --- I've had the same setup in Aqua, Sky Suites, CS, RS and PH.

Curious -  on the ships with the old system were you able to use your phones to open your doors.    It seems that when they rewired the ships as part of the revolution  was when I noticed the change. 

Constellation surprises me as I know the rewired the ship as I was on her in 2017 and they were rewiring with Ethernet to all rooms between Singapore and Rome.   I would see them in the hallways daily running the wiring.   

Maybe it has to do with ships that were revolutionized.   That also doesn't explain it as I was just on Solstice (non-revolutionized)   and they were using the web portal and the method I described. 

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I also thought the surge protected power strip was interesting.  It didn't come from me and it had "Audio Video Dept" (or something like that) written on it in black marker.

Just as an aside -  on a recent cruise I had asked for a extension cord and the butler asked if I would like a power strip also..  I said yea and brought one just like it.     I know it was power protected with a fuse but I don't recall it saying surge protected on it.

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting --- I've had the same setup in Aqua, Sky Suites, CS, RS and PH.

Curious -  on the ships with the old system were you able to use your phones to open your doors.    It seems that when they rewired the ships as part of the revolution  was when I noticed the change. 

Constellation surprises me as I know the rewired the ship as I was on her in 2017 and they were rewiring with Ethernet to all rooms between Singapore and Rome.   I would see them in the hallways daily running the wiring.   

Maybe it has to do with ships that were revolutionized.   That also doesn't explain it as I was just on Solstice (non-revolutionized)   and they were using the web portal and the method I described. 

"Old" system (as you call it) + stateroom doors supporting NFC unlocking were on Constellation (Nov 2022) and Reflection (Jan 2019).

Edited by mahdnc

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Also there was no input button on the TV.   I tried my home Samsung and would change ports -  BUT it messed up the TV connection and couldn't get back the main screen -  i had to have the butler have IT reboot my TV connection (remotely).

Hello! I was wondering if you could help me. I have read many of your posts re hooking up devices to the Celebrity tv. I've never had a problem viewing stream/downloaded shows until I tried to use our newer Ipads on our most recent Sky Princess and Celebrity Reflection cruises.

I'm able to hook up my Iphone 13 Pro with my Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter as usual with no problems.  DH downloaded some shows on both of our Ipads:  Ipad Pro (20 21 3rd Gen) and Ipad (2022 10th Gen), both of which use a USB-C connector. I purchased a generic "Upgrow USB C to HDMI Adapter" from Amazon which works perfectly when I tested the devices on several of my home tvs before sailing and my DS has no problems traveling in the US and using this adapter.  However, on both cruises, neither ship tv would acknowledge our Ipad connections when I used our universal remote to change the HDMI port on the tv. The tvs would acknowledge my iphone and I was able to change the HDMI.  Have you tried to hook up a device with a USB-C to HDMI adapter? Could it be that I wasn't using an actual Apple adapter? I would appreciate any help. 

Only one minor tweak.    I believe the TV is recognizing them but -

The Samsung remotes no longer allow you to get to the Selection of ports.  The TV's are now dumb monitors and use a URL for the ships TV.

Also they now also have a selection from the main menu to Cast direct from your iPad without an HDMI via the Ship Internet. 

You have to use the room remote and follow the following video

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Samsung remotes no longer allow you to get to the Selection of ports.  The TV's are now dumb monitors and use a URL for the ships TV.

Also they now also have a selection from the main menu to Cast direct from your iPad without an HDMI via the Ship Internet. 

When I went to source after plugging my iphone into HDMI 2, the HDMI 2 showed up with my Iphone and worked perfectly. Then I unplugged it and used the generic adapter with my Ipad and plugged it into HDMI 2...HDMI 2 did not indicate any device hooked up. 

I found that it works best if you plug in your HDMI device prior to powering up the TV.   

I also have had a problem with a cheap HDMI cable but found that any that are rated for 4K  and 10K resolution work fine.    I don't use an Apple Cable.

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I found that it works best if you plug in your HDMI device prior to powering up the TV.   

I also have had a problem with a cheap HDMI cable but found that any that are rated for 4K  and 10K resolution work fine.    I don't use an Apple Cable.

I haven't tried plugging the HDMI in prior to powering up the TV.  I'll try that next time.  I think I'll buy the genuine Apple USB-C to HDMI adapter as a back up and if it doesn't work, I'll just return it. My HDMI cord is: Capshi 8K HDMI Cables 2.1 Long, 15ft High Speed 48Gbps, 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz, 2K@240Hz, 165Hz, 144Hz, HDCP 2.2&2.3, eARC, HDR, Ethernet, Braided Cord for UHD TV, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Monitor, PC.   Thanks for your advice!

Edited by shirazcruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thank you so much for posting this video,  I was on the Equinox in October and was able to access the menu and connect my iPhone with a lightning to HDMI cable and stream Apple TV and Netlix on the Premium Wifi.

2 hours ago, 1620rock said:

Thank you so much for posting this video,  I was on the Equinox in October and was able to access the menu and connect my iPhone with a lightning to HDMI cable and stream Apple TV and Netlix on the Premium Wifi.

Glad it worked.   One of my Butlers taught me that....

Did you happen to try the Mirroring that is available via the Celebrity Main Menu screen -  It gives you a URL address and then you put in a 4 digit code the TV shows and then you can stream wireless. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

I don't think I saw that option on menu on TV in our cabin.  We will be on the Silhouette in January and will look for that option.  You have posted so many great tips that have been helpful even though we cruise in much more economical cabins than you.

I appreciate you !!