CNN article on the first world cruise in 1922-23

Honolulu Blue

I'm mostly posting this for my own interest, but y'all can follow along if you like.  The article itself is at What it was like on board the first ever round-the-world passenger cruise | CNN .

The article describes the world cruise two sisters of means took and their documentation of such.  The experience impressed them at the time.  And the documentation impressed me.  In addition to diary entries, they had photos, news articles, and newsletters and memos from the ship.  It makes me happy that I keep most of the ephemera that the ships on my cruises give to me and all the photos I take of the experience.  I doubt that any of the cruises I took had or will have any historical significance such that any library will want to preserve what I have, but they're fun to look at occasionally.

The article itself was nice, but the link to the collection was eye opening.  Here it is:  Eleanor Phelps’ Cruise Around the World – Digital Collections (sc.edu)

What I found most interesting about the article and the collection (I've only gone from New York to Japan so far):

• The cruise was on the SS Laconia, one of Cunard's newest ships (at the time)
  • The cruise was actually what we'd today call a full-ship charter by American Express, who handled most of the excursion and hotel arrangements
  • It cost $2500 (I put it in a calculator and it said it would add up to about $43,500 today - sounds about right)
  • It lasted 130 days
  • There were between 400 and 450 passengers onboard
  • The ship could hold about 2200 passengers when all the lower classes were full
  • Based on all the news articles about the ship, its arrival in many ports was a Very Big Deal
  • The excursions and the activity around them looked somewhat familiar
  • There was at least one old style horse race onboard

It was fun looking through everything, and I'll do some more later.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 2:15 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Thank you....great fun reading!!!

Certainly a far cry from todays standards..... WC's today are more like sailing in 2nd & 3rd class back in 1923....

really Richard? I just watched the Alan Whicker series of the world cruise QE2 in I think the early 1980s with a friend and we both commented that it seemed almost tacky,  Its interesting that the old QE2 (Which I did love and sail on regular) was meant to be the epitome of luxury and the best that there can be but apart from the white star service but she seemed very drab and unluxurious compared to the Queens today. 

On 5/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, roscoe39 said:

really Richard? I just watched the Alan Whicker series of the world cruise QE2 in I think the early 1980s with a friend and we both commented that it seemed almost tacky,  Its interesting that the old QE2 (Which I did love and sail on regular) was meant to be the epitome of luxury and the best that there can be but apart from the white star service but she seemed very drab and unluxurious compared to the Queens today. 

Dearest Darling Roscoe...

My comparison was based on the quality & souls of the ships of yesteryear compared to today's ships.

I agree with you that the QE2 appears drab(the grey hull paint does her no favor - thankfully she was repainted in black).

Unfortunately, it was the late 1960's when QE2 was designed & built out (as was the FRANCE) not only were the ships cold/ space ship in feel but that era was not so great in overall design across the board.  

But those 2 ships were revolutionary - the QE2 sailed beautifully in all weather conditions as an oceanliner should. Unfortunately, the deep draft of both ships prevented them from docking in many shallow harbors.  The FRANCE was a bit of a roller but still sailed beautifully.

The interior of QE2(I felt ) was a bit cold but again revolutionary & of its time.  The passenger corridor's still had wood paneling and the CHART ROOM was spectacular.

The service all around was top notch - in the cabins, bars & restaurants - with an outstanding passenger to crew ratio.  I believe the passenger count was about 1000.

I find todays ships to be somewhat generic - more shopping mall like & even QM2 doesn't possess the soul of older ships & certainly no uniqueness or exclusive design features.  Even the redesigned FRANCE had Angela Donghia furnishings which did her justice(prior to adding the additional decks).

economy of scale has design brought down to what is cost effective vs uniqueness & quality.

Going back to ships like the Queen Mary & Normandie when you aboard such ships you knew which ship you were sailing on. Even on the last Caronia you felt like you were in a private , very luxurios club. There maybe differences in the Cunard Queens(& other Carnivore ships) but none are very unique.

QM2 is a one off - I enjoyed the several cruises I've sailed in her BUT I LOVED my times on QE2...the last of which was part of the WC in the early 1980's...FABULOUS all around.  The QE2 & FRANCE were BERGDORF GOODMAN, QM2 is more Bloomingdales.

So please do not be offended...I'm sailing on QE this year...wish you were onboard at the same time so we could discuss all this over COCKTAILS!!!!

Till we meet one day at sea......

7 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Dearest Darling Roscoe...

My comparison was based on the quality & souls of the ships of yesteryear compared to today's ships.

I agree with you that the QE2 appears drab(the grey hull paint does her no favor - thankfully she was repainted in black).

Unfortunately, it was the late 1960's when QE2 was designed & built out (as was the FRANCE) not only were the ships cold/ space ship in feel but that era was not so great in overall design across the board.  

But those 2 ships were revolutionary - the QE2 sailed beautifully in all weather conditions as an oceanliner should. Unfortunately, the deep draft of both ships prevented them from docking in many shallow harbors.  The FRANCE was a bit of a roller but still sailed beautifully.

The interior of QE2(I felt ) was a bit cold but again revolutionary & of its time.  The passenger corridor's still had wood paneling and the CHART ROOM was spectacular.

The service all around was top notch - in the cabins, bars & restaurants - with an outstanding passenger to crew ratio.  I believe the passenger count was about 1000.

I find todays ships to be somewhat generic - more shopping mall like & even QM2 doesn't possess the soul of older ships & certainly no uniqueness or exclusive design features.  Even the redesigned FRANCE had Angela Donghia furnishings which did her justice(prior to adding the additional decks).

economy of scale has design brought down to what is cost effective vs uniqueness & quality.

Going back to ships like the Queen Mary & Normandie when you aboard such ships you knew which ship you were sailing on. Even on the last Caronia you felt like you were in a private , very luxurios club. There maybe differences in the Cunard Queens(& other Carnivore ships) but none are very unique.

QM2 is a one off - I enjoyed the several cruises I've sailed in her BUT I LOVED my times on QE2...the last of which was part of the WC in the early 1980's...FABULOUS all around.  The QE2 & FRANCE were BERGDORF GOODMAN, QM2 is more Bloomingdales.

So please do not be offended...I'm sailing on QE this year...wish you were onboard at the same time so we could discuss all this over COCKTAILS!!!!

Till we meet one day at sea......

I know where you are coming from Ruchard, I despair every time a new block of apartments  is launched, the only really good looking ships lately have been the Disney ones. Apart from micky on the exterior they look like the real ships of the past.

I never got to sail the Normandie....Im envious, and much as I loved the ambience of the QE2,, I have no desire to see her metamorphosis in Dubai, it would make me very sad.

Ah well.....drinks in the commodore sounds good...Ill hold you to that!

Dear Roscoe....you've thrown me into a tizzy as to what to wear when we at last do meet....I'll have to get my stylist , designer & tailor  together & start them on this task.

The bloom may of faded on this rose but I also hadn't sailed in NORMANDIE(I'm retired but far from dead)! I was referring to the total thought into the design of these ships - Lalique fixtures, the Statue of La NORMANDY(now on one of the Celebrity ships) & the spectacular overall design of the hull & decks and funnels.  The FRANCE was also so unique(of a different era) and quite beautiful in her own right.  These were ships of state.

Last nite I watched the Alan Whicker series you mentioned...it did come off as a bit tacky(weren't the 1970's all about tacky)?  What I do remember of my sailings in QE2 was the atmosphere onboard...the clothes, jewelry, meeting the officers & having drinks & even being invited to the bridge and crew & officers bars.  Nites dancing across the Atlantic Ocean - back then the crossing was 5 days ...so add a few days on either end w time in London or Paris and you had a great quick vacation.  My parents & Auntie used the ships as transport to & from Europe for extended holidays.

Also as you well know  daily patterns change on longer cruises.  In my  younger days we would come back from cruises to the Carib / Bermuda out of NYC (starting w a Bon Voyage party) no more energetic than the piles of luggage stacked on the pier.  It took a week to  recover from the late nites, long lunches , cocktails , late dinners lasting 2+ hours & then the nite started in the night clubs, a break for the midnite buffet & then more drinks & dancing...alot of nites ended as the sun was coming up....

I sailed on a leg of the World Cruise (2003 on the QE2) and just loved it for the interesting people & crew and the ship.  I too love the clothing annd I literally would have at least 3 outfits per day...morning, deck wear and lunch and evening wear.  I believe you would of loved every moment.

As far as CUNARD....the comments about food are so American - Cunard was known for their "British food"  while the FRENCH Line was Haute Cuisine and the Italian Lines were pasta heaven.  Our/ my favorite was the Italian Lines(The Italian Line, Home Lines & Sitmar). Absolutley Fabulous!!!!  AND FUNNNNNNN 24 hours a day,,,,so Italian so DELICIOUS.

I look forward to our cocktail meet & will have the stylist, designer & tailor on ready TODAY!!!

• Like 1

Richard,

You brought back great memories.  M mother was an English war bride so as kids we never went to Disney, or anywhere but across the Pond to see family in England.  As a kid I got the fun of sailing on Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and then the best QE2.  Of course Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were in steerage but still a top bunk adventure for this kid.  I can still recall the great smell of those ships.  Wood polish, baking bread , and steam.  Still love the hard rolls.  QE2 construction coordinated with my coming of age.  The next 30 years were fine times.  One crossing in 4.5 days.  Never to be seen again I am afraid.  And the wonderful spaces of the original lasted a bare three years.  I loved the disco, the 736 Club, soon to be transformed into the Queens Grill.  One of the early QE2 crossings  saw fellow passenger Ringo Starr sit in for the house drummer for a set in 736.  Fantastic!  I also ran into Rod Stewart in the gym.  Rod was very personable chatting with us exercisers while his two assistants used a few of the machines.  Nice to have your people to exercise for you.  QE2 was the pinnacle of travel at that time and almost always had famous people aboard.  Most of them mixed freely with their fellow passengers.  Again, a time we were fortuate to live in that shall never be repeated.  The mass mobs aboard todays ships would have Ringo jumping overboard.  We are currently onboard Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska and while nice is nothing close to the refined times onboard the great ships.  In a storm a couple of days ago this ship rattled, shook, pounded, and had a 15 degree list from the wind pressure on the huge superstructure.  Elevators shut down, food service suspended.  Ha, on QE2 we have moved at speed through huge seas and Force 11 all while having fine dining and a very good Martini.  In my tux I felt like 007.  Again, thanks for the memories...🍸

• Like 1

thank you Jim...we were the fortunate passsengers to experience such liner.

Like you on the first part of the WC on QE2 we sailed out of NY Harbor in early January headed for the Panama Canal..it was so beautiful...snowing, the city lit up there were even horns going off onboard & ashore..I recall wearing an overcoat, scarf & gloved and freezing but I never went inside til after we sailed under the Verrazano Bridge(its a family custom).

Well on the second day out there were rough seas as dinner approached cocktails were fine but midway through dinner the swell got worse & at one point the ship listed to starboard and as you know there is a second in everyones mind as to how far are we going to list...then flowers, glasses & a few chairs shifted....then the ship steadied & sailed like that for  a bit(I don't remember exactly how long it lasted) but we finished dinner & after dinner drinks went well into the nite to say the least.  The QE2 was spectacular in all weather conditions.

I sailed in first class on One Deck midship and I remember the hallway paneling creaking, the beautiful Chart room w pianist And loooooong Dinners..... we are teh fortiuate ones...dancing across the seas in first class vessels with the best of services......

Cheers to ALL!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...