Flight at Noon from LGA

amindu

Hello we have a NCL cruise to Bermuda that arrives back at Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 7:00am on Sunday, our flight is at noon, we have 2 toddlers and have booked NCL transfers.  Is this enough time to get to the airport and make it in time?  Should we do private transfers instead would that be quicker?  Please advise.  Thanks.

59 minutes ago, amindu said:

Hello we have a NCL cruise to Bermuda that arrives back at Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 7:00am on Sunday, our flight is at noon, we have 2 toddlers and have booked NCL transfers.  Is this enough time to get to the airport and make it in time?  Should we do private transfers instead would that be quicker?  Please advise.  Thanks.

I'm surprised they've allowed you to book their transfers with a noon departure. My recollection is that they require a flight no earlier than 1 pm to use their transfers, but my memory could be faulty.

On a typical Sunday you should be OK.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I'm surprised they've allowed you to book their transfers with a noon departure. My recollection is that they require a flight no earlier than 1 pm to use their transfers, but my memory could be faulty.

On a typical Sunday you should be OK.

Gotcha thanks. My original flight was at 2:00pm but AA changed it to 3pm so I was able to switch it to a different flight which departed at 12. 

2 hours ago, amindu said:

Gotcha thanks. My original flight was at 2:00pm but AA changed it to 3pm so I was able to switch it to a different flight which departed at 12. 

So you booked the transfers when your flight was to leave at 2pm? If my original post is correct about not allowing transfers for flights earlier than 1pm they may refuse to take you for a noon flight.

Personally I would cancel the NCL transfers just take an Uber or a pre book a car service such as Carmel Limo.

Edited by njhorseman

Just now, njhorseman said:

So you booked the transfers when your flight was to leave at 2pm? If my original post is correct about not allowing transfers for flights earlier than 1pm they may refuse to take you. 

Personally I would cancel the NCL transfers just take an Uber or a pre book a car service such as Carmel Limo.

I would take Uber or car service however my issue is I am not taking both the car seats and my kids are 3 and under. 

I called NCL and their requirement is 5 hours post arrive which is 7am. So noon still works.  

NCL transfer won't leave until the bus is full or everyone who bought the ticket for the less-than-full bus is on board I would think.

What airline, anything out of Terminal B there is now a longer walk but secuirty has been a little bit faster with it all centralized.

If you are flying Spirit there is no terminal traffic or security issue, they are the only airline out of Terminal A or Marine Air Terminal. 

4 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

NCL transfer won't leave until the bus is full or everyone who bought the ticket for the less-than-full bus is on board I would think.

What airline, anything out of Terminal B there is now a longer walk but secuirty has been a little bit faster with it all centralized.

If you are flying Spirit there is no terminal traffic or security issue, they are the only airline out of Terminal A or Marine Air Terminal. 

We are on American Airlines, not sure what terminal that is. 

• 1 month later...

If you were to take a car service, yellow cab or an Uber, you'll have plenty of time to get to LGA provided you do leave the ship first thing.  We about a 15/20 minute drive from LGA and whenever we've disembarked from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, we generally get off right away and have,  strolled into our apartment and getting unpacked by 9am at the latest.  My only thought is that you're using the NCL transfer.  Their buses won't leave the port until they're full, which can take a while, which will cut into your transfer time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, RickinNYC said:

If you were to take a car service, yellow cab or an Uber, you'll have plenty of time to get to LGA provided you do leave the ship first thing.  We about a 15/20 minute drive from LGA and whenever we've disembarked from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, we generally get off right away and have,  strolled into our apartment and getting unpacked by 9am at the latest.  My only thought is that you're using the NCL transfer.  Their buses won't leave the port until they're full, which can take a while, which will cut into your transfer time.  

Thanks Rick, i cancelled the NCL transfers and am leaving towards car service as we need car seats for 2 kids, and Uber only has one, while yellow cab from everything i read is exempt from having kids strapped in.  Not sure how safe that would be for a 2 and 3 year old.  We are in a suite so we should have priority debarkation along with hopefully our luggage will be available at the same time so should be able to get off the ship fairly soon.  

On 5/12/2023 at 3:27 PM, amindu said:

while yellow cab from everything i read is exempt from having kids strapped in.  Not sure how safe that would be for a 2 and 3 year old.  

TL&C Car Seat Provider List: 

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/tlc/downloads/pdf/car-seat-provider-list.pdf

Many New Yorkers and visitors traveling by car service prefer to put their babies and children in car seats and booster seats when requesting a TLC-licensed vehicle.

Passengers riding in a TLC-licensed vehicle are allowed to bring and use their own car seats and booster seats for children. Passengers are encouraged to review the proper way to secure car seats and booster seats in vehicles prior to their ride.

In addition, a number of NYC car services provide car seats and booster seats upon request. The TLC has created the following list, detailing the availability of car seats and booster seats upon request in TLC-licensed vehicles.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:23 PM, njhorseman said:

So you booked the transfers when your flight was to leave at 2pm? If my original post is correct about not allowing transfers for flights earlier than 1pm they may refuse to take you for a noon flight.

When reserving Carmel, should I use 711 12th ave as the pick up address? I know it's a stupid question. We are used to going out of Miami. 

52 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

When reserving Carmel, should I use 711 12th ave as the pick up address? I know it's a stupid question. We are used to going out of Miami. 

That's the default address for MCT / Pier 88 with the street entrance (arrival/disembarkation) or exit actually at W. 48th Street & 9th Avenue, otherwise the fenced gate is locked when ship(s) are not there.  Depending on traffic, it can delayed pickup by Carmel as all traffic coming into the pier area are backed up.  

We have been using 660 12th Avenue, which is directly across the street from Pier 88, between W. 48th and W. 49th Street, for pickup to head home to Queens (also, simple for going toward LGA or JFK, even to other points west, north & south of the cruise terminal) especially on weekend mornings, where traffic on the Avenue is usually light.  

Collage_2022-12-09_00_15_50.thumb.jpg.d3ea4a532fb4a3aea01b4b7547d92926.jpg

Above & below - that's Pier 88 with the giant gate/fence at W. 48th Street - once you disembark & exit CBP with luggage, this is where you will exit the terminal out to the street level.  Across on the opposite end of 12th Ave (at W. 48th Street is the yellow taxi stand) ... avoid "Uber" dispatcher flashing the Uber logo on their smartphone or iPhone to help you avoid waiting & get a faster ride - it's a scam !! 

Collage_2022-12-09_00_17_13.thumb.jpg.bd86c9e6ff9f56f9eeda4aef95039ab7.jpg

Collage_2022-12-09_00_41_16.thumb.jpg.5d090b8dc61c527213c26e5e7390b7aa.jpg

Porters at the cruise terminal worked hard and cash tips should be appropriate, and, yes - they do help & take your luggage across the Avenue, as you can see from these recent pictures.  Lately, taxi availability when ships are in port varied - sometimes, there are plenty & other times, a long line queuing for the next taxi to pull up.   That's the corner with the taxi stand sign, and lots of "hustlers" working to offer rides to the airport, etc. - avoid them. 

Collage_2022-12-09_00_38_56.thumb.jpg.ecba6e715d8efe5d0dda4bea05444ebe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That's the default address for MCT / Pier 88 with the street entrance (arrival/disembarkation) or exit actually at W. 48th Street & 9th Avenue, otherwise the fenced gate is locked when ship(s) are not there.  Depending on traffic, it can delayed pickup by Carmel as all traffic coming into the pier area are backed up.  

We have been using 660 12th Avenue, which is directly across the street from Pier 88, between W. 48th and W. 49th Street, for pickup to head home to Queens (also, simple for going toward LGA or JFK, even to other points west, north & south of the cruise terminal) especially on weekend mornings, where traffic on the Avenue is usually light.  

Thank you so much. This is very helpful!! Truly appreciate it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 3:57 PM, mking8288 said:

I wanted to thank you again. We were off the ship and into our waiting car service in 7 minutes! Made it to LGA with plenty of time to spare for our 11am flight! Thank you!

• Like 1

@CruisingSince1982 - You are most welcomed, others and I here just paying back on how we've benefited from the wisdoms of others on CC.  It is always nice to get feedback and impressions of how things went.  Sounded like no surprises and you had a smooth, safe & pleasant trip heading home.  

How was the new LGA airport, terminal and drop-off ... loved to hear an out-of-town traveler's latest experience.  Again, glad that the details "pooled" together is useful.  Enjoy the weekend.  

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:24 PM, mking8288 said:

@CruisingSince1982 - You are most welcomed, others and I here just paying back on how we've benefited from the wisdoms of others on CC.  It is always nice to get feedback and impressions of how things went.  Sounded like no surprises and you had a smooth, safe & pleasant trip heading home.  

How was the new LGA airport, terminal and drop-off ... loved to hear an out-of-town traveler's latest experience.  Again, glad that the details "pooled" together is useful.  Enjoy the weekend.  

The terminal is beautiful. All the years we lived in north jersey, we never would consider flying out of LGA. It's a totally different airport now. We were both shocked and pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:09 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

I wanted to thank you again. We were off the ship and into our waiting car service in 7 minutes! Made it to LGA with plenty of time to spare for our 11am flight! Thank you!

Hi is it possible to do this with 3 pieces of checked luggage, 1 carryon, 2 toddlers?  I will be booking car service once we determine what time we can be off the ship and was planning on just having them get us from the pier unless the above is doable and much faster? We do have priority debarkation but again not sure what time that translates to.  We have a noon flight, what time did you get to the airport, if you don't mind sharing. thanks. 

Also was it easy to find the place/street for someone that has never been to NY and does not know the area? 

Did you use porters and did they have any issues crossing the street?  Is it the Glass House where your car service picked up?

Edited by amindu