Medical Emergency on Valiant Lady

LadyLion_AP

Very likely they commited suicide, seems to be getting more common for people to kill themselves on cruises which is odd as if I wanted to kill myself I wouldn't want to inconvenience everyone and put the crew through an awful stressful situation and doing it on the first night too. Suicide is an awful thing but also is a selfish act even more so doing it on a cruise. 

Thoughts are with the crew who get no break after this and the passengers who had to witness this and continue on with their vacation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hannibal54 said:

From the story that I saw, the person who went off the balcony landed on another passenger at the lower balcony.

The report last night said she went off deck 14 and landed on deck 7,  THis would make sense as 7 extends farther out.  But anything is possible and I'm sure all reports are not accurate.

Her motivation is irrelevant. She's dead.   What matters to Sailors is that the balconies are safe.  You can't "accidentally" fall from one.  You have to do something intentional, whether that is climbing on furniture and jumping over, climbing on furniture and sitting on the railing to take a photo, being thrown off, or something similar.  Unless you are 7 feet tall, you can't fall over the balcony, sit on the balcony, or anything like that without climbing up on furniture to get there.  I feel sorry for her family, the crew, and all the Sailors who had their vacation impacted by her actions.  VV has done everything it can to provide for those who were affected by her actions, and they deserve credit for that.

If VV opted to remove the balcony furniture due to people who would mis-use it, people would move chairs from the room to the balcony.  I hope that they don't take such a stance due to one irresponsible person.

• Like 4

Why do people want to speculate? 

17 hours ago, DrSch said:

Word I got from people is that she was trying to take a selfie

Absolutely untrue, as was the information in the newspaper that she landed on someone. It was early enough in the evening that there weren't many people around when it happened so that always leads to people making assumptions. If someone actually witnessed her trying to take a selfie they should report it to investigators rather than spreading "I heard" because if my friend hadn't witnessed it, I would not have come on here in the first place to try to prevent misinformation from being spread. When I had more information, I shared it. I was invited to go with her but was unable to go because I'm in the middle of an upgrade project. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, Mademypoint said:

Why do people want to speculate? 

Absolutely untrue, as was the information in the newspaper that she landed on someone. It was early enough in the evening that there weren't many people around when it happened so that always leads to people making assumptions. If someone actually witnessed her trying to take a selfie they should report it to investigators rather than spreading "I heard" because if my friend hadn't witnessed it, I would not have come on here in the first place to try to prevent misinformation from being spread. When I had more information, I shared it. I was invited to go with her but was unable to go because I'm in the middle of an upgrade project. 

perhaps your second-hand information is incorrect.  There are several news agencies reporting she landed upon someone.. which is horrible for BOTH victims involved.  We should always keep our minds open until further details and investigations report though.

2 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

perhaps your second-hand information is incorrect.  There are several news agencies reporting she landed upon someone.. which is horrible for BOTH victims involved.  We should always keep our minds open until further details and investigations report though.

There is a YouTube by a female claiming that she and her fiance were lounging on one of the couches on deck 7 and the woman landed on her fiance's shins and ankles resulting in bruises.  They answered police questions at 3am (the police boarded the ship shortly after 10pm) and they chose to disembark the following morning.  True?  False?  I have no way to know.  There are multiple reports as to the reason the woman went over the balcony....again, we have no way of knowing the truth.  What I do know is that the balconies on VV are safe and there is no way for someone to fall off a balcony without using something, likely the balcony furniture, to climb up onto the railing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

There is a YouTube by a female claiming that she and her fiance were lounging on one of the couches on deck 7 and the woman landed on her fiance's shins and ankles resulting in bruises.  They answered police questions at 3am (the police boarded the ship shortly after 10pm) and they chose to disembark the following morning.  True?  False?  I have no way to know.  There are multiple reports as to the reason the woman went over the balcony....again, we have no way of knowing the truth.  What I do know is that the balconies on VV are safe and there is no way for someone to fall off a balcony without using something, likely the balcony furniture, to climb up onto the railing.

Did the police board the ship from the ocean?  Because I can tell you they didn't get back to Miami until 1:40am.

34 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

Did the police board the ship from the ocean?  Because I can tell you they didn't get back to Miami until 1:40am.

I discovered that when I watched another video, supposedly by a crew member....that said the police boarded approximately 1:30.  As I said in my post, my info was coming from YouTubers who claimed to have been on board

TBH (and said w/ respect), I'm not sure how any of our conjecture is helpful.  It won't bring the deceased back, nor will it comfort her family and friends, nor the crew that had to triage this unfortunate mess?   Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 1

When I made this post I had no idea what happened! I was a passenger mostly in the dark regarding the incident. Once aware, I clearly disengaged and did not attempt to speculate. I feel terrible for this family and completely empathize! I also have a child (young adult) this age. Yes! We heard many stories including stories about the person who was allegedly fallen upon. This family’s life is forever changed. I kindly ask all of those who wish to engage in this post to be kind and remember a young life was lost. Nothing else is as important!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

TBH (and said w/ respect), I'm not sure how any of our conjecture is helpful.  It won't bring the deceased back, nor will it comfort her family and friends, nor the crew that had to triage this unfortunate mess?   Scott. 

Finding out what actually happened is helpful. I'm dealing with friends and family who are not scared to sail on VV.  I might be able to calm them down depending on what happened

2 hours ago, LadyLion_AP said:

When I made this post I had no idea what happened! I was a passenger mostly in the dark regarding the incident. Once aware, I clearly disengaged and did not attempt to speculate. I feel terrible for this family and completely empathize! I also have a child (young adult) this age. Yes! We heard many stories including stories about the person who was allegedly fallen upon. This family’s life is forever changed. I kindly ask all of those who wish to engage in this post to be kind and remember a young life was lost. Nothing else is as important!

My point was that people need to understand that the ships are safe.  There are railings everywhere--good, high railings.  I agree that the fact that a young woman died is the most important issue, but those who have or are considering booking cruises need to know that Virgin and all other major cruise lines put safety first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cantgetin said:

My point was that people need to understand that the ships are safe.  There are railings everywhere--good, high railings.  I agree that the fact that a young woman died is the most important issue, but those who have or are considering booking cruises need to know that Virgin and all other major cruise lines put safety first.

Yes. We’ve sailed many ships including both Scarlet Lady and Valiant Lady. It is IMPOSSIBLE (for almost anyone) to “fall off” a balcony WITHOUT climbing or somehow being propelled over. I imagine someone REALLY tall (close to 7 feet) MIGHT be able to lean over and fall. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 4:26 PM, nimbex1970 said:

No...my friend SAW HER BODY. I stand by my statement. 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:12 AM, LadyLion_AP said:

So sorry to hear! My heart goes out to you. 

On 4/8/2023 at 11:20 PM, aviators99 said:

Finding out what actually happened is helpful. I'm dealing with friends and family who are not scared to sail on VV.  I might be able to calm them down depending on what happened

She jumped.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:15 PM, cantgetin said:

I discovered that when I watched another video, supposedly by a crew member....that said the police boarded approximately 1:30.  As I said in my post, my info was coming from YouTubers who claimed to have been on board

Again, my friend SAW WHAT HAPPENED. why is everyone so quick to say "but a you tuber" said? I came on here explicitly to stop this speculation because a woman committed suicide and her family deserves peace and everyone's sympathy. 

• Like 1