Winemaker diner; Caymus- all princess cruises

FrankieJayIII

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Is there still a Super Tuscan dinner?  Haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere.

A few weeks ago somebody posted the menu for the Super Tuscan Dinner that they attended, and I'm pretty sure that it was on a fairly recent cruise.  Sorry, but I do not recall the title of that thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 3:51 PM, Steelers36 said:

I don't see any reason to expect this new WMD is anything much different than the old WMD - other than it looks to be available on the older ships as well as Royal Class and newer.  What was ridiculous was the old cover of $40 - a complete steal-of-a-deal from the guest perspective.  However, I don't see it as worth more than a CTL experience.  

It won't be something we will do.  We have never done the CT/CTL either.  I think the best value is the $100 UBD (for two).  I suppose that will go up any day now as well.  We are rarely in a balcony, but when we are I will be doing that one at only $22 more than two CG covers (assuming today's known pricing of $78 versus $100).  I really doubt they can keep that $100 price tag based on all the other increases.

UBD?

6 minutes ago, geepmaley said:

UBD?

Ultimate Balcony Dinner.  IMO the best!  We enjoyed the WMD $40 on the Enchanted.  Very good and well worth the money.  But, we love the UBD, great food, presentation and had 3 waiters, it was fabulous every time we did it.  

Look it up on the website.  We book it ahead of time on the cruise personalizer and you can alter the date once OB if you need to.  
I like to do it while overnight in port or on a sailaway from a port.  
$110 per cabin.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2

I will second @PacnGoNow's endorsement of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.  It is, easily, the best dining experience that Princess currently offers.  (Admittedly, I have not yet tried some of the newer restaurants like The Catch.)  Two servers are dedicated to you to ensure that your dinner is served in a timely and professional manner.  Before our first UBD, I was concerned about having two servers hovering over us so that they could sweep away dishes from a finished course and drop the next course in front of us.  Somehow, they are able to disappear while we are enjoying our meal but magically reappear when we are ready for our next course.  The fare is not particularly adventurous (entree is filet mignon, lobster tails or surf 'n' turf), but it is very good.  It's the service that blows me away.

• Like 6

On 7/22/2023 at 6:15 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Ultimate Balcony Dinner.  IMO the best!  We enjoyed the WMD $40 on the Enchanted.  Very good and well worth the money.  But, we love the UBD, great food, presentation and had 3 waiters, it was fabulous every time we did it.  

Look it up on the website.  We book it ahead of time on the cruise personalizer and you can alter the date once OB if you need to.  
I like to do it while overnight in port or on a sailaway from a port.  
$110 per cabin.

How do you sign up for that? We are four couples with adjoining balconies so might be fun

1 minute ago, geepmaley said:

How do you sign up for that? We are four couples with adjoining balconies so might be fun

Would be great!

On the website..

cruise personalizer

onboard services

Food and beverages experiences

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 8:57 AM, JimmyVWine said:

The title of the dinner is (intentionally) misleading.  It should be called "The Wagner Family Wine Dinner".  All of the wines being served have ties to the Wagner family, but are not from Caymus Winery.  For example, Chuck Wagner started the Mer Soleil label, but is now run by his son, Charlie.  Mer Soleil is an entirely separate entity in the Santa Lucia Highlandsottles whereas Caymus is in the heart of Napa.  But both are rooted in the Wagner Family.  Same goes for all of the other wines.  Think of it in the same way as if a cruise package were being sold called the "Seabourn Cruise Sampler" that offered 4 cruises for one price.  One cruise was on a Seabourn ship, one on a Cunard ship, one on Princess and one on Carnival.  All part of the same family, but using the Seabourn name as the title of the package instead of "Carnival Brands" would be misleading.  

Here’s 2 bottles that I was served last year. You’ll see what wineries they were from. I’ll check on my next dinner. 

I have been to both the Wine Makers dinner & the Chef’s Table & the Chef’s Table is my first choice. I’ve never had a bad meal & the same meal in San Francisco would cost around $500. 

The UBD or UBB are both great & for 2 people we couldn’t eat everything. 

Tom😀

image.thumb.jpeg.4d628fa714ff5162c640b53a877e3639.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af679d1554a8538532d424a956640b80.jpeg

16 hours ago, geepmaley said:

16 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Would be great!

On the website..

cruise personalizer

onboard services

Food and beverages experiences

There is a limited staff, and, so, there are a limited number of UBDs offered each evening.  Scheduling multiple UBDs at the same time might be difficult.  I suppose you could double up and have two couples in two cabins/balconies.  That would somewhat simplify the task.

Scheduling multiple UBDs for the same time would, pretty much, require that reservations be made prior to the cruise.  However, if you have flexibility in your schedule, or if you want to postpone the payment of the fee (and have the ability to use onboard credit), you can call the DINE line after boarding, and inquire about a UBD.

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Correct me if I am wrong.  No CC member has either seen any sign of this new WMD with Caymus wines, nor has anyone participated in one.  Who knows when they might actually happen?

I'm pretty sure that you are correct.

I looked at the original press release.  It was dated April 3, and it gave no schedule for a rollout.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

There is a limited staff, and, so, there are a limited number of UBDs offered each evening.  Scheduling multiple UBDs at the same time might be difficult.  I suppose you could double up and have two couples in two cabins/balconies.  That would somewhat simplify the task.

Scheduling multiple UBDs for the same time would, pretty much, require that reservations be made prior to the cruise.  However, if you have flexibility in your schedule, or if you want to postpone the payment of the fee (and have the ability to use onboard credit), you can call the DINE line after boarding, and inquire about a UBD.

You are correct.  They told us they only schedule a few a week, and it depends on the ship and the length of the cruise.

I would book it and maybe? they would be able to do 2 cabins?  But, they would have to check with RS once OB.

Not sure if they would double up 2 couples on a balcony, if you have one of the larger balconies or a suite, it should work.

Seems that might take away from the ambiance of the evening, a little.  JMO.

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

You are correct.  They told us they only schedule a few a week, and it depends on the ship and the length of the cruise.

I would book it and maybe? they would be able to do 2 cabins?  But, they would have to check with RS once OB.

Not sure if they would double up 2 couples on a balcony, if you have one of the larger balconies or a suite, it should work.i

Seems that might take away from the ambiance of the evening, a little.  JMO.

I am aware of one report here on Cruise Critic of a UBD for two couples.  This was, in fact, in a full suite on, I believe, the Pacific Princess.  It might have been the Island Princess.  They had it inside.  It is not clear to me whether there was insufficient room on the balcony or if the weather/sea conditions were inclement.

I have to believe that getting a UDB for Four might be at the discretion of the Room Service Manager,  To my way of thinking two servers can manage four diners and maintain the level of professionalism that the UBD demands,  I would think that the galley can produce additional plates in the appropriate time frame.  I am not aware of any other logistical problems that might prevent a UBD for Four an item that can be requested any time four people wanted to do it.  However, the fact that I am unaware of ancillary problems does not mean that those problems do not exist.

I agree that the ambiance would be different, but I also feel that the occasion might arise where a UBD for Four may be an excellent evening.

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not sure if they would double up 2 couples on a balcony, if you have one of the larger balconies or a suite, it should work.

We were in a Reserve mini on the ruby princess in October with our friends in the cabin next door.  We opened the divider between the balconies and the guys setting up moved all the unneeded furniture to the friends balcony and set up two tables side by side for the 4 of us to dine on our side.  It was great fun!  Of course the balconies on the dolphin deck of the Ruby are very large so there was not a problem doing this.  

• Like 2

I have a lot of interest in this dinner.  The dilemma I have though is we have already upgraded to the premier package allowing for up to $20 wine which we will be utilizing every night at dinner. 

Not offering a discount to those who have already offered up significant $ for the wine upgrade would be painful. 

We also will pay for additional specialty restaurants beyond our 2 included on our upcoming 15 night Panama Canal Cruise.