How safe is it around the port in Puerto Plata Dominican Rep.

fishbonz

Want to fish around the port there while wife does a excursions with her  brother and his wife. Never been to that island so don't know how the local's and kid's are there. Been to a couple of island's and some of the kid's were a real pain in the ass when you got off the ship. 

Any help if you been there 

Thank's 

We were just there in January, and never felt unsafe. There is a nice park across from the port with a band shell where the local high school band was practicing, and they drew quite a respectable crowd.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, Theosprey247 said:

I’ve been to Mexico, DR, and Jamaica didn’t feel unsafe, but everyone is different. 

With respect to a lot of 'typical' cruisers some are not experienced with travel. Travel to some is visiting the resort/village built at the port behind the fence then back on the ship. Thats not for me or my family and we will certainly be venturing out in the DR.

I was amazed at our recent cruise stop in Nassau on a Royal Caribbean ship the number of people we spoke to back on the ship who were literally scared to step off the ship.

As you say though, everyone is different.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:03 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Where have you ventured out? Cartagena? Jamaica recently? Mexico?

We felt very unsafe years ago in DR- soldiers carrying rifles that looked like machine guns wasn’t very welcoming.  Also - in Costa Rica- we were with a group of 8 and didn’t stay long in the area where the boat docked.  In Cartagena we had hired a private driver and guide- and we felt very safe.
We have been on 36 cruises and are very aware that things can happen….that tourists can be targeted- not every place is safe.

So- I fully understand and appreciate the OP’s  concern

Edited by dcruisers
Wrong word