Neiuw Amsterdam or Noordam for Alaska?

maggiev

I’m reading about each ship but having a hard time deciding.  Thought from those who have sailed or will sail on one over the other & why?  Does Noordam have BB King’s? One place I looked it does, another it dose not. This will be our only Alaska trip & I want to make sure we get the best bang for our buck.  I know you’re not on the ship a ton in Alaska but I still want a nice ship.

thanks 

10 minutes ago, maggiev said:

This will be our only Alaska trip & I want to make sure we get the best bang for our buck.  I know you’re not on the ship a ton in Alaska but I still want a nice ship.

What are the itineraries and port times of each? If this will be your only Alaskan cruise, I would make the itinerary the deciding factor. The best bang for your buck comes from the itinerary. Both are nice ships, after all they are BHB (Blue Hulled Beauties). The Nieuw Amsterdam will have a couple more dining options (NY Pizza and Tamarind) but you will have plenty of choices and food on Noordam. I have cruised Alaska on Westerdam (Noordam's sister) and the Caribbean on Nieuw Amsterdam. Can recommend both.

I chose Nieuw Amsterdam for my upcoming Alaska trip in May. This is my first time to Alaska. I decided on NA because of the itinerary. We are sailing from Whittier to Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, through the inside passage to Vancouver. I wanted to see the glaciers. Another reason is that I do like ships the size of NA and Noordam. I like smaller ships. I had friends who sailed on NA and they loved it. To be honest, it doesn't take much to make me happy. I will be on vacation with my siblings and intend to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maggiev said:

I’m reading about each ship but having a hard time deciding.  Thought from those who have sailed or will sail on one over the other & why?  

We were on the Noordam northbound Vancouver - Whittier in September. Although I agree with Cruise Suzy that the itineraries should be the deciding factor, I think that having the NY Pizza and Tamarind on the NA might decide that for me. We weren't thrilled with the food on Noordam, but maybe that was just us. Some others have said good things.

We sailed transpacific on Noordam for 34 days and loved it.  We have not been on Nieuw Amsterdam, so I can't address that, but I generally prefer smaller ships and Noordam is about 200 passengers smaller than NA.  Noordam did not have BB Kings when we sailed, it was replaced with a Rolling Stone lounge playing classic rock.  I agree with the other posters who suggest prioritizing the itinerary over the ship.  With either ship, I'm sure you're going to have a great vacation.  Have fun!

I'm pretty sure it does come down to the ship.  For at least most of the Alaska season these 2 ships do the same itinerary on alternate weeks.  Noordam sails from Whittier to  Vancouver on a Sunday while Nieuw Amsterdam sails Vancouver to Whittier, and the following Sunday Noordam sails from Vancouver while Nieuw Amsterdam sails from Whittier. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm pretty sure it does come down to the ship.  For at least most of the Alaska season these 2 ships do the same itinerary on alternate weeks.  Noordam sails from Whittier to  Vancouver on a Sunday while Nieuw Amsterdam sails Vancouver to Whittier, and the following Sunday Noordam sails from Vancouver while Nieuw Amsterdam sails from Whittier. 

Roy

If the itinerary is the same, I'd go for NA because of Tamarind. But either ship would be good. 

• Like 1

Correct @rafminmd - they do the exact itinerary.

one goes on a Wednesday the other on a Saturday.

We are more BBKing than Rolling Stones 🎶🎵 - that and Tamarind is making me lean Neiuw Amsterdam.  
I appreciate the feedback.

Margaret