distilled water ordering or bringing

angelbearmom

Hi! I'm leaving on the Konigsdam from Vancouver Thursday. I have a cpap machine so need distilled water. Last time I went on a cruise one of my party ordered jugs ahead of time. That was 2017.  I haven't figured out how to do that this time. What I read tonight on HAL was only a sealed jug as long as it's with the device and included with checked baggage. I'm not checking my cpap machine. Is it something I can order and have brought to the stateroom? On the previous cruise I brought a couple of packs of small size coke tins. It says that is no longer allowed. Is that accurate? Thanks

1 hour ago, angelbearmom said:

Hi! I'm leaving on the Konigsdam from Vancouver Thursday. I have a cpap machine so need distilled water. Last time I went on a cruise one of my party ordered jugs ahead of time. That was 2017.  I haven't figured out how to do that this time. What I read tonight on HAL was only a sealed jug as long as it's with the device and included with checked baggage. I'm not checking my cpap machine. Is it something I can order and have brought to the stateroom? On the previous cruise I brought a couple of packs of small size coke tins. It says that is no longer allowed. Is that accurate? Thanks

Yes, you can order and have distilled water waiting in your stateroom when you arrive. 

Login to your cruise on the HAL website, go to the Beverage Tab, and place your distilled water order there for $2.95/gallon.

1 hour ago, angelbearmom said:

I brought a couple of packs of small size coke tins. It says that is no longer allowed. Is that accurate? Thanks

Sodas are not allowed.  See HAL website:

Frequently Asked Cruise Questions - Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. 

Going on first Holland America Cruise in May - requested Distilled Water and an extension cord from phone representative at the time of booking.  Both of us use CPAP so this is standard arrangements for us when traveling.  On occasion we have brought a sealed gallon of store-bought distilled water with us on other cruise lines - no issues at check in as (unfortunately) CPAP equipment and supplies are fairly routine to pass through the cruise security check line these days...

31 minutes ago, Stratheden said:

Have you tried using your CPAP without water when on holiday?  Makes a big difference not having to worry about sourcing distilled water.  I've not notice any difference when sleeping.

My CPAP works fine without water in the NSW summer but when I tried it on a cruise it didn't work well.  I think the AC dries out the rooms too much.  That said, everyone is different and it might be worth trying it without water.  You just need to make sure you turn off the humidity function.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:28 AM, sciencewonk said:

My CPAP works fine without water in the NSW summer but when I tried it on a cruise it didn't work well.  I think the AC dries out the rooms too much.  That said, everyone is different and it might be worth trying it without water.  You just need to make sure you turn off the humidity function.

I purchased a new fitting for my machine that fits in where the tank goes.  It makes the machine smaller and doesn't have a place for water.  It works really well.  We caravan a lot without power, only solar, so plug it into the 12 volt socket.  (We bought a new lead with cigarette plug).  Hardly uses any power because it doesn't heat.  

Another option is a travel CPAP, like the Breas Z2, which doesn't use water.  If you want, you can use a Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) with it for some humidification.  The advantage of the Breas over another popular travel CPAP, the ResMed Air Mini, is that you can use whatever mask you use at home with the Breas, but the ResMed uses only certain proprietary ResMed masks  -- not all of them. Even my own ResMed mask will not work with it.