Getting from my Copenhagen hotel to board Nieuw St. Aug. 2nd

My wife and I are doing Denmark tourism on our own for 3 days prior to our Nieuw Statendam cruise that leaves from Copenhagen on August 2nd.

I've booked Hotel Astoria Banegardspladsen 4 Copenhagen 1570 Denmark.

Here it is on Google Maps...

https://goo.gl/maps/MFsAbQpc3idSBdS38

What can I enter into Google maps that will accurately display the specific cruise port we will need for Nieuw Statendam? (On Tripadvisor one of the locals stated their is more than one location in Copenhagen re. cruise ports.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help re. my question 🙂

Steve

A Google Maps search for Copenhagen Cruise Terminal will get you two possibilities. N. Statendam will likely sail from Oceankaj, we sailed from Terminal 2 last summer. If you look at Google Maps, the grassy area across from Terminal two is now parking, Terminal building, etc.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A Google Maps search for Copenhagen Cruise Terminal will get you two possibilities. N. Statendam will likely sail from Oceankaj, we sailed from Terminal 2 last summer. If you look at Google Maps, the grassy area across from Terminal two is now parking, Terminal building, etc.

Thanks! Following your best guess of "Oceankaj" ...Google maps from our hotel to there looks like this....

https://goo.gl/maps/Z6pGEQSC5qPeH9Sb8

55 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Thanks! Following your best guess of "Oceankaj" ...Google maps from our hotel to there looks like this....

https://goo.gl/maps/Z6pGEQSC5qPeH9Sb8

We stayed at the Nimb (very nice hotel) more of less across the street from your hotel. So we went the same way. Took about 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Good location for getting around! I recommend getting the "3-Day" Copenhagen Card which is good for local transportation. It can be purchased at CPH on arrival and you can then use it for getting to your hotel. It will actually cover a wide area of the region's museums, castles, bus, and trains so is well worth it. I recommend taking the train to Helsingor to visit Kronborg Slot. It is just a short walk from the train station.

For the day of your cruise, the M4 Kobenhavn H Metro station is less than 300 m walk from the hotel. THe Metro train will take you to Nordhavn Metro station where there is a shuttle bus to the three Oceankaj Cruise Terminals. We did this in 2017 before the Metro was extended using a hotel in Oosterport and two busses. Much easier now!

- Jack

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Good location for getting around! I recommend getting the "3-Day" Copenhagen Card which is good for local transportation. It can be purchased at CPH on arrival and you can then use it for getting to your hotel. It will actually cover a wide area of the region's museums, castles, bus, and trains so is well worth it. I recommend taking the train to Helsingor to visit Kronborg Slot. It is just a short walk from the train station.

For the day of your cruise, the M4 Kobenhavn H Metro station is less than 300 m walk from the hotel. THe Metro train will take you to Nordhavn Metro station where there is a shuttle bus to the three Oceankaj Cruise Terminals. We did this in 2017 before the Metro was extended using a hotel in Oosterport and two busses. Much easier now!

- Jack

I will be all over the place in this post.

#1 Thank you for participating and helping.

#2 About the hotel I chose, the interior is not like a Hampton Inn or Best Western in Virginia. This hotel from my OP is very spartan. Will my wife complain? I wanted 2 other places....one was too expensive and the other was sold out. This one is near the train station....that's a plus....this one had many reviewers saying the bed was good and the front desk people were super nice. This one fits my budget. I'm leaning towards keeping it but I'd welcome an opinion from you.

#3 We'll each have a suitcase and a carry on. Your suggestion seems like 2 steps? #1 The Metro Train......#2 Nordhavn Metro Station's Shuttle Bus?  Will our 2 suitcases AND 2 carry ons be a bit much for your idea? Maybe just pay the taxi???

20 minutes ago, SeaCapt said:

Yes, NS is scheduled to be at quay C333, Oceankaj.

Here is a link to basic info: https://www.whatsinport.com/Copenhagen.htm

And here is a link to the actual Port Authority Schedule (you'll need to enter the date): https://www.cmport.com/terminals/ships-in-port/

Great job! Very very helpful! 🙂

After entering the date and our ship's name: "Nieuw Statendam" it displayed this...

Ship                        ETA                  Company                 QUAY          Status

Nieuw Statendam   02 Aug @ 7:00  SDK Cruise A/S       C333          Expected

Why is the company "SDK Cruise A/S" instead of HAL?

Edited by SSBrickNJ

7 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I will be all over the place in this post.

#1 Thank you for participating and helping.

#2 About the hotel I chose, the interior is not like a Hampton Inn or Best Western in Virginia. This hotel from my OP is very spartan. Will my wife complain? I wanted 2 other places....one was too expensive and the other was sold out. This one is near the train station....that's a plus....this one had many reviewers saying the bed was good and the front desk people were super nice. This one fits my budget. I'm leaning towards keeping it but I'd welcome an opinion from you.

#3 We'll each have a suitcase and a carry on. Your suggestion seems like 2 steps? #1 The Metro Train......#2 Nordhavn Metro Station's Shuttle Bus?  Will our 2 suitcases AND 2 carry ons be a bit much for your idea? Maybe just pay the taxi???

Hotel rooms in Europe are for the most part spartan and smaller than in the US. Your choice looks very nice! Our only requirement (besides location and being clean with good reviews) is an ensuite room. My wife does the hotel choices while I cover the transportation. She uses a well known website online for "Booking" and it actually shows the hotel room class that we are getting. Very handy on our last five-week trip in Italy before our transatlantic to travel home as the rooms truly varied in size - but all were very good.

We each travel with a rollaboard and personal bag. Plus I have a 35 L backpack suitcase and my wife uses a smaller day backpack. This last trip we were in six hotels and on 16 different trains traveling in Italy, France, and Spain. Also two Amtrak trains from BWI airport to VA. You shouldn't have trouble with your luggage. By the way we are each in our early 70's.

Yes, the Metro requires changing to a bus at the end of the line to get to the cruise terminal. The buses are all low floor so easy to maneuver luggage onto.

We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam for a 20-day Mediterranean cruise in 2019 plus my wife did an additional  9-day Caribbean cruise last year aboard her. It is one of our favorite HAL ships.

We have two nights booked at a hotel in Norreport on our way home from Hamburg after an MSC cruise. Copenhagen is a great city to visit and enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask anything else.

- Jack

1 hour ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Great job! Very very helpful! 🙂

After entering the date and our ship's name: "Nieuw Statendam" it displayed this...

Ship                        ETA                  Company                 QUAY          Status

Nieuw Statendam   02 Aug @ 7:00  SDK Cruise A/S       C333          Expected

Why is the company "SDK Cruise A/S" instead of HAL?

I imagine "SDK" is HAL's port agent.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Hotel rooms in Europe are for the most part spartan and smaller than in the US. Your choice looks very nice! Our only requirement (besides location and being clean with good reviews) is an ensuite room. My wife does the hotel choices while I cover the transportation. She uses a well known website online for "Booking" and it actually shows the hotel room class that we are getting. Very handy on our last five-week trip in Italy before our transatlantic to travel home as the rooms truly varied in size - but all were very good.

We each travel with a rollaboard and personal bag. Plus I have a 35 L backpack suitcase and my wife uses a smaller day backpack. This last trip we were in six hotels and on 16 different trains traveling in Italy, France, and Spain. Also two Amtrak trains from BWI airport to VA. You shouldn't have trouble with your luggage. By the way we are each in our early 70's.

Yes, the Metro requires changing to a bus at the end of the line to get to the cruise terminal. The buses are all low floor so easy to maneuver luggage onto.

We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam for a 20-day Mediterranean cruise in 2019 plus my wife did an additional  9-day Caribbean cruise last year aboard her. It is one of our favorite HAL ships.

We have two nights booked at a hotel in Norreport on our way home from Hamburg after an MSC cruise. Copenhagen is a great city to visit and enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask anything else.

- Jack

You've been very generous with your time. Thank you!

7 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

You've been very generous with your time. Thank you!

I do a lot of research, including YouTube, as that way I have a mental image. Here is a link to a video showing Oceankaj cruise terminals. I find it interesting as we sailed on the Zuiderdam from Quay C331 to the Baltic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yod_0ds6BOY

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I do a lot of research, including YouTube, as that way I have a mental image. Here is a link to a video showing Oceankaj cruise terminals. I find it interesting as we sailed on the Zuiderdam from Quay C331 to the Baltic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yod_0ds6BOY

I watched it and saw Quay C333 :)

Since the M4 was extended to the Orientkaj Metro station, there is now a free shuttle that runs between the Orientkaj station and the Oceankaj cruise terminals before 1 pm on cruise ship days. No need to get off the metro at Nordhavn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfilpus said:

Since the M4 was extended to the Orientkaj Metro station, there is now a free shuttle that runs between the Orientkaj station and the Oceankaj cruise terminals before 1 pm on cruise ship days.

I'm not quite sure if the free shuttle bus will run here in 2023 - my best advice is to take the M4 to Orientkaj and from there bus 25 or 164 to Oceankaj terminal.  While 164 runs on a fixed timetable, bus 25 runs a shuttle between the metro station and the cruise terminal every 20 minutes.  Tickets for the Metro are also valid for buses.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I'm not quite sure if the free shuttle bus will run here in 2023 - my best advice is to take the M4 to Orientkaj and from there bus 25 or 164 to Oceankaj terminal.  While 164 runs on a fixed timetable, bus 25 runs a shuttle between the metro station and the cruise terminal every 20 minutes.  Tickets for the Metro are also valid for buses.

When is boarding typically?

I'm a first timer w/ HAL.

For information.  The price with public transport (train, bus, metro) is DKK 24 (2 zones) from the center of Copenhagen to Oceankaj (or vice versa).  Same ticket for all means of transport including the harbor buses.  Tickets can be paid for by credit card in ticket machines.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife and I are doing Denmark tourism on our own for 3 days prior to our Nieuw Statendam cruise that leaves from Copenhagen on August 2nd.

I've booked Hotel Astoria Banegardspladsen 4 Copenhagen 1570 Denmark.

Here it is on Google Maps...

https://goo.gl/maps/MFsAbQpc3idSBdS38

What can I enter into Google maps that will accurately display the specific cruise port we will need for Nieuw Statendam? (On Tripadvisor one of the locals stated their is more than one location in Copenhagen re. cruise ports.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help re. my question 🙂

Steve

I have stayed in this hotel many times. It used to be very basic, but has “upgraded” over the years. The location is perfect for getting around, sightseeing, restaurants, etc. I was able to store my large suitcase for the day from check out to the evening when I would catch the night train to Sweden. Really nice staff as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I have stayed in this hotel many times. It used to be very basic, but has “upgraded” over the years. The location is perfect for getting around, sightseeing, restaurants, etc. I was able to store my large suitcase for the day from check out to the evening when I would catch the night train to Sweden. Really nice staff as well.

Thank you for this very encouraging post. Your helpful words have put my mind at ease.

Very appreciated!

• Like 1