Skagway - White Pass Railway or rent a car?

kj_connections

I will be in Skagway in late August.  The White Pass Railway seems a bit pricey.  Would I be able to see the same views or similar if I just rented a car and drove up the Klondike highway to Yukon?  If I rent a car, what are must see stops along the way?

1 hour ago, kj_connections said:

The White Pass Railway seems a bit pricey. Would I be able to see the same views or similar if I just rented a car and drove up the Klondike highway to Yukon?

At some points the railroad and highway are parallel, so you would see the same thing. At other points the two are separated, so you will see similar, but not identical, views from the highway.

I've done both. Car ride was absolutely beautiful and we were able to stop as we chose. I recommend Murrays guide (Google) for the  "must see stops" it's a great guide and you'll save big bucks. Now for the train, I think the scenery was better but if cost is an issue go with a car rental. Just be sure to watch the clock so that you can clear the customs station on your return without issue. 

Patty 

• Thanks 1

I have done a car ride a few times, a train the few times and a bus a few times.

I would try to do a combination train/bus or rent a car. I would not recommend train both ways.

The views are definitely different from car than the train (some areas they are the same). The benefit of car/bus is that you can get out and take pictures. You will also see things from car/bus that you will not see on the train (and vice versa). 

• Like 1