Royal Caribbean Norway in a Nutshell Excursion from Flam

Would like hear about experiences with Royal Caribbean's Norway in a Nutshell excursion from Flam.

As I understand the "true" Norway in a Nutshell (hereafter NIAN) tour from a cruise ship would include 4 parts:

1. A boat trip from Flam to Gudvangen via Nærøyfjord 

2. A bus ride from Gudvangen to Voss

3. A train ride from Voss to Myrdal

4. A train ride on the Flamsbana from Myrdal to Flam

Reading the Royal Caribbean NIAN description the route is less clear. They said it consists of a train ride from Flam to Myrdal followed by a bus ride from Myrdal to Voss. However, they mention you will get to see the Tvinde and Stalheim falls but is that from a viewpoint in Voss? It doesn't sound like you get to traverse Nærøyfjord  at all. Finally, the excursions mentions using the tunnels if the zig zag road is not open. I am guessing that is the router from Voss straight back to Flam?

Anyone have info on this?

Thanks

The Norway in a Nutshell® is a trademarked experience by Fjord Tours AS - originally designed as a full day trip between Oslo and Bergen including Bergen Railway, Flåm Railway, Fjord cruise on Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord and Bus trip through Nærøy valley. 

I don't know what RCCL offers, but you can book the Flåm Railway or the boat trip through Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord yourself. Book railway early - will sell out.

You’ll cruise Aurlandsfjord when entering and leaving Flåm.
What time of year? - sounds like roads might be closed due to snow.

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

The Norway in a Nutshell® is a trademarked experience by Fjord Tours AS - originally designed as a full day trip between Oslo and Bergen including Bergen Railway, Flåm Railway, Fjord cruise on Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord and Bus trip through Nærøy valley. 

I don't know what RCCL offers, but you can book the Flåm Railway or the boat trip through Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord yourself. Book railway early - will sell out.

You’ll cruise Aurlandsfjord when entering and leaving Flåm.
What time of year? - sounds like roads might be closed due to snow.

Arrive in Flam on July 15, 2024. We are in port from 8am-5pm.

Ultimately I think I would want to do a tour that includes cruising Nærøyfjord AND the Flam Railway from Flam to Myrdal and back. However, the Royal excursions offered do not have one that does both. The have separate excursions for those but the hours conflict and you cannot do them back to back,

So currently I have the Leisurely Flam Railway excursion and Panoramic Stegastein excursion booked through Royal.

My biggest dilemma is whether "missing" cruising Nærøyfjord would be a huge mistake being that fjords is the whole reason for the cruise.

The Fjord Tours tour is not available to book for 2024 yet but looking at this 2023 one:

https://www.fjordtours.com/tour-booking/?date=2023-07-17&startIn=218e787a-cbeb-4ff5-9b77-712a0083cbc5&endIn=218e787a-cbeb-4ff5-9b77-712a0083cbc5&travellers=a2&umbracoNodeId=3387

it seems like exactly what I would like to do. I am guessing it departs at 9:30am local time and arrives back at 3:26pm local time but I am concerned about the timing because I don't know if ship time and local time will be the same. Also, arriving back at 3:26 for an all onboard of 4:30 ship time is a little close than I like to cut it. (in case of delays)

Otherwise I think the Fjords Tours one is my favorite.

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

OP, you’re going to be enjoying a hugely beautiful trip in a fjord all the way to Flam and back out.  I wouldn’t worry too much if you can’t see the Nærøyfjord.

Understood but some would argue that Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord are the 2 best fjords in Norway so I would need to decide if missing that would be unwise or not.

• Like 1