Prohibited item question

My DH has a shoulder condition that he will have surgery on after our cruise in May.  One of the things that helps with the pain is a shoulder heating pad that he can put on.  I know it says heating pads are prohibited.  Does anyone have any experience if they will make an exception if he has a doctor note?  Also, I was thinking of a work around to use those chemical hand or foot warmers that you break the package and the pad heats up.  Would those be allowed on board?  BTW this is an Alaska cruise so I do not think the hand warmers would be too out of the ordinary for the climate. TIA

12 minutes ago, masspector said:

My DH has a shoulder condition that he will have surgery on after our cruise in May.  One of the things that helps with the pain is a shoulder heating pad that he can put on.  I know it says heating pads are prohibited.  Does anyone have any experience if they will make an exception if he has a doctor note?  Also, I was thinking of a work around to use those chemical hand or foot warmers that you break the package and the pad heats up.  Would those be allowed on board?  BTW this is an Alaska cruise so I do not think the hand warmers would be too out of the ordinary for the climate. TIA

I was told no to a heating pad, even with a Dr note, but I did bring the chemical heating pads that have adhesive on them.

11 minutes ago, masspector said:

Correct, heating pads are prohibited by policy.  However, I'd try to get your doctor to give you some kind of documentation that it is medically necessary.  Then give the "Special Needs Department" a call and see what they say and/or if they will provide a heating pad.  Also, I'd ask about the chemical heating pad(s), it seems to me that that would be a much more convenient way (no plugs, no extension cords required) to accomplish what's needed.  

JMHO

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Correct, heating pads are prohibited by policy.  However, I'd try to get your doctor to give you some kind of documentation that it is medically necessary.  Then give the "Special Needs Department" a call and see what they say and/or if they will provide a heating pad.  Also, I'd ask about the chemical heating pad(s), it seems to me that that would be a much more convenient way (no plugs, no extension cords required) to accomplish what's needed.  

JMHO

Looks like @ownedbypetsand I responded at the same time.  I'd still give it a try.  What works for one may not work for another, especially with RCCL.

800-513-4515 

Edited by Ret MP

14 minutes ago, masspector said:

And you had no issues with that? Thanks 

No issues. I was alternating between hot and cold so I also brought a hot/cold water bottle and filled it with ice but you could fill it with hot water. I would call and see what your options are.

• Like 2

There are exceptions to rules,

and then there are exceptions that are deemed fire hazards.  I seriously doubt they make exceptions for fire hazard items. Many probably “need” such items and could easily get a doctors note.  

The answer is likely no, but who knows with Royal and it may take a while to get an answer other than no if you push the issue.  I seriously doubt you are going to get a yes otherwise.   So definitely start scenario planning now.   

3 minutes ago, bethco said:

Bring a hot water bottle.  The hot water tends to be quite hot.  You could also ask cabin steward for a kettle.

This is a good idea.  In many cabins you have to be careful because the sink water can get scalding hot.  It’s crazy to me how hot it can be.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

There are exceptions to rules,

and then there are exceptions that are deemed fire hazards.  I seriously doubt they make exceptions for fire hazard items. Many probably “need” such items and could easily get a doctors note.  

The answer is likely no, but who knows with Royal and it may take a while to get an answer other than no if you push the issue.  I seriously doubt you are going to get a yes otherwise.   So definitely start scenario planning now.   

I'm not disagreeing with you, chances are unlikely.  However, they do allow heat-producing items on the ship without question or special approval.  CPAP is one of them.  Mine heats up the water to add humidity to the air.  And I do appreciate that it does that.  Curling Irons, Hair Straighteners, etc.  I just don't understand RCCL's logic.  

Edited by Ret MP

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Curling Irons, Hair Straighteners, etc.  I just don't understand RCCL's logic.  

Very logical.  Would you want every woman in the world mad at you and not allowing their families to cruise.  LOL 😅

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, masspector said:

Very logical.  Would you want every woman in the world mad at you and not allowing their families to cruise.  LOL 😅

WOW, good point.  We wouldn't want that, for sure.  :classic_love:

As a side note:

RCCL has updated, at least the look, their FAQ on "Prohibited Items" page.  It seems to be saying the same thing but using fewer words.  I don't have the old version to match side to side.  However, the one thing that stands out to me is that it still doesn't mention "Surge Protectors/Suppresors" or whatever we commonly call them.  I'm still trying to find where RCCL prohibits them.  Almost every social media discussion about extension cords on cruise ships mentions that Surge Protectors/Suppressors are prohibited.  I just don't see it.  I really don't care one way or the other, I've got both, with and without.  However, I think cruisers deserve a factual finality on this. Many people have power strips but they also have surge suppressors/protectors in them and because of the discussions go out and buy strips that don't.  It's an extra expense that some people don't need and will probably never use other than cruising which may be a one-and-done experience.  BTW, I'm not looking for an, "If they can't afford a power strip they probably shouldn't be cruising".  That's not the point.  Another BTW, a call to RCCL's phone answerers is no help.  

If heating pads are a fire risk on board, they shouldn't be allowed, even with a doctor's note.  There are pads that are self-adhesive and heat up.  Use those instead.  You can also soak a towel in hot water, squeeze, and put that on shoulder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bethco said:

Bring a hot water bottle.  The hot water tends to be quite hot.  You could also ask cabin steward for a kettle.

wow, I didn't even think of what the world did before heating pads HAHAHA that's a fantastic idea 

Just now, masspector said:

The same could be said for lighters, cigarettes, curling irons. So I guess if any of those start a fire, it is ok.

Cigarette use is prohibited in cabins.   So that one is a bit different.  

Regardless, I have no logic to judge their list.  But it is their list and their rules.  

I’m guessing they have some reasons and perhaps actuarial tables guide them on the likelihood of risk ending up in fires.  Who knows?

I don’t think using lighters or starting fires is allowed in cabins.  Curlers and blow dryer use is allowed.   But I’d guess few fall asleep while doing, lowering fire risk.  I could see heating pads inducing some to sleep.  I know that isn’t the only way they could start a fire.  Just an example.  

Again, who knows and I really don’t care.  I just follow the rules they lay out on that stuff.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moposh said:

I leave it up to RC.

I did see a lot of irons when I disembarked recently.

I wasn't questioning "RC".  It was your statement/suggestion and my belief that it was overly simplistic.  What about my CPAP, which is a heat producer?  Ban that?  I should be denied a bonified medical device? 

I totally agree and support a company's right to make rules and policies.  I just want continuity with them and people's discussions of them to be correct and thoughtful.  

For popular input:

BTW, just because you don't sleep with something doesn't mean that it can't cause a fire.  How about if you leave your cabin at 6:00 PM for the evening and forget to unplug the hair straightener or curlers?  

7 hours ago, masspector said:

... Hot water bottle ?

• Like 1