Crown versus Emerald - your thoughts please

fluffyclouds

On 4/14/2023 at 10:15 AM, jaycruising said:

We travelled on Crown in November and she did have a bad reputation as she had issues last year, but went into dry dock in October. We didn’t have any issues on our sailing, she was in good shape, no speed issues, but she is older so has some bumps and bruises. But I really like the layout of it. 

Cant comment on Emerald yet, we head out on her on Sunday. 

Bon Voyage!

On 4/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, startedwithamouse said:

Same layout.  We have sailed on both.  Either one you'll be happy with.

We have sailed on both as well.  We actually have sailed on Crown, I think, 6 times. We got to know the Hotel General Manager really well and enjoyed the Captain who was good friends with the GM.  Both are gone from Princess now.  Crown has had issues right up until last summer in Alaska....hope it's better now. 
We have only sailed on Emerald once in 2019, but enjoyed it and we don't recall any issues.
At this point in time, I would choose Emerald over Crown.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:57 PM, KreinKrunker said:

It's a toss-up for us, they both have Adagio on deck 16.  Nice quiet, underused bar.  Great for before dinner drinks.

This. Wonderful lounge with quiet atmosphere.  I have never been on the Emerald but have been a bunch of times on Crown.  I’m not sure what the speciality restaurants are now. 

• Like 1

Having returned and now sailed both, I would choose Emerald over Crown, if it was the same itinerary.  I did a full live from with final thoughts on her and I loved it.  Ironically though our next cruise is on Crown, but that is more about the itinerary for us.

• Like 2

I did 16 nights on the Emerald Princess in November and just finishing 11 nights on Crown Princess.

I am not a fan of either ship due to the extra deck of passengers compared to Grand, Golden, Sapphire, Diamond and Star Princess....... Though my Emerald Princess and Crown Princess sailings were not at full capacity. Thankfully.

The only difference I can tell is that the Emerald has a slightly better buffet setup. Not enough for me to choose one over the other. The Emerald has a space for Planks and Steamers though it was not used on our sailing or on any sailing since COVID. The Crown Princess has an extra buffet area in the back that was called Cafe Caribe at one time and for lunch, it has been used as an extra buffet on this sailing on sea days (same food as the buffet). A long time ago Cafe Caribe had theme meals, no longer.

There maybe some differences on where Future Cruise person and Shore excursion desks are setup - I can't remember, I am confusing myself with the Grand Princess I think.

Both ships are well maintained. The crew on both ships have been great. We have not had any mechanical issues on the Crown right now. 

Edited by Coral

Looking at a cruise this year on Emerald Princess. Can anyone compare food from this ship compared to any Celebrity or RCL cruise ship. Have never sailed on Princess but food is a priority for us.

4 minutes ago, pikwe012 said:

Looking at a cruise this year on Emerald Princess. Can anyone compare food from this ship compared to any Celebrity or RCL cruise ship. Have never sailed on Princess but food is a priority for us.

I haven’t been on RCL in about 25 years, so I can’t speak to that, but we were on Celebrity last month and it was our first time not in Blu. I thought the food in the MDR was about the same quality as on Princess. Cutbacks show everywhere these days. One thing I did notice was that the food on Celebrity was very salty but maybe that was just me. Even my requested “steamed” vegetables were salty somehow.

We sailed on the Emerald Princess last November and thought the food was good and noticed the portions were especially large. These things can change from time to time though. We were on another princess ship last year with 2 months in between sailings and the chef had changed in that time and there were differences. Not good or bad, just different in presentation, etc.

If food is really a priority these days I’d move up from the mainstream lines.

Thank you! We sailed on Odyssey of the Seas a year ago and thought the food was the best yet. 

Cruises were just getting going again after covid and the ship was only two thirds full but this probably had no bearing on the food quality.