Question about guaranteed cabins...

thermal

So I'm thinking about booking a guaranteed cabin on the Majestic Princess. 

If I choose a guaranteed balcony cabin mid-ship, does that mean I'm guaranteed to get a balcony A) somewhere mid-ship, or B) anywhere on the ship?  

Thank you kindly. 

'A' category cabins should be mid-ship.  I think that is one of the ways they set categories.

However, note that with any booking, if it is not a selected cabin, marked NO UPGRADE, then any upgrade can be to a higher category, such as a deluxe balcony, anywhere on the ship

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

'A' category cabins should be mid-ship.  I think that is one of the ways they set categories.

However, note that with any booking, if it is not a selected cabin, marked NO UPGRADE, then any upgrade can be to a higher category, such as a deluxe balcony, anywhere on the ship

Can a guarantee reservation be flagged NO UPGRADE though?  What if they simply don't have an A balcony to give OP? 

I have an IA (interior midship) guarantee on Island in June.  Interiors are completely sold out (even for guarantees).  There are only 12 IAs on the ship.  I have a lowball upgrade offer in but I'd be happy with any room.with at least a window anywhere on the ship.

When you book a guarantee, there is no way to ensure location.  Booking a guarantee in a "A" location will not guarantee an upgrade to a higher category in an "A" location.  No way to mark an guarantee reservation with "No Upgrade" because Princess' algorithm  will be assigning you what is available/leftover.  It's a gamble, but yields great results at a savings in some instances--"some instances" being the optimal word.  Case in point...I booked an IA mid-ship on the Sky Princess and was upgraded to a BC mid-forward.  

12 hours ago, thermal said:

So I'm thinking about booking a guaranteed cabin on the Majestic Princess. 

If I choose a guaranteed balcony cabin mid-ship, does that mean I'm guaranteed to get a balcony A) somewhere mid-ship, or B) anywhere on the ship?  

Thank you kindly. 

Princess cabin categories are designated by 2-character codes.  The first character is the general cabin type - Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, Deluxe Balcony, Mini-Suite, Suite.  The second character indicates the level of cabin type.  Generally, these can range from the lowest (F or E) up through letter A and some cabin types also use numbers to designate variations.  For example, the top Mini-Suite is a M1, which indicates Club/Reserve Class Mini-Suite and involves extra perks like Club/Reserve dining section.  Things are a bit different with the new ship (SUN) as I have seen they introduce DG and DH for the new Cove Balconies.  Also, from what I have seen, Princess is designating all Balconies on the Sun as Deluxe.

Anyway, you can book a GTY IA which is mid-ship and never below a public deck. But Princess would consider any Oceanview or any Balcony (even a BE) to be an upgrade from the IA.

They don't have to upgrade you to a mid-ship location, so that is why everyone has said to have your booking marked No Upgrade if location selected is important - and keep an eye on it.

Now, if a guest has booked a GTY, I am not sure you can also be marked as No Upgrade. In theory, it could be possible as they would presumably upgrade some other guest open to upgrades in an IA and place you there.  Of course that guest may jump on the phone and ask for their cabin back. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess cabin categories are designated by 2-character codes.  The first character is the general cabin type - Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, Deluxe Balcony, Mini-Suite, Suite.  The second character indicates the level of cabin type.  Generally, these can range from the lowest (F or E) up through letter A and some cabin types also use numbers to designate variations.  For example, the top Mini-Suite is a M1, which indicates Club/Reserve Class Mini-Suite and involves extra perks like Club/Reserve dining section.  Things are a bit different with the new ship (SUN) as I have seen they introduce DG and DH for the new Cove Balconies.  Also, from what I have seen, Princess is designating all Balconies on the Sun as Deluxe.

Anyway, you can book a GTY IA which is mid-ship and never below a public deck. But Princess would consider any Oceanview or any Balcony (even a BE) to be an upgrade from the IA.

They don't have to upgrade you to a mid-ship location, so that is why everyone has said to have your booking marked No Upgrade if location selected is important - and keep an eye on it.

Now, if a guest has booked a GTY, I am not sure you can also be marked as No Upgrade. In theory, it could be possible as they would presumably upgrade some other guest open to upgrades in an IA and place you there.  Of course that guest may jump on the phone and ask for their cabin back. 😉

I forgot to mention that Princess uses the end of the alphabet to designate Obstructed View cabins - these can be Oceanview type or Balcony type.  Some cabins are considered fully Obstructed and others partially Obstructed.  A "Z" would indicate the worst situation while "V" or "W" are better locations.  If used, it's mostly about closeness to mid-ship and not the amount of obstruction.  

When you book a guarantee cabin it is exactly that. A guarantee that your accommodation will be at least at that grade. It doesn't guarantee you a specific location on the ship. I have never seen the option to select no upgrade on a guarantee and doubt it exists, as the whole point of the guarantee is so that Princess can move you at will. 

Of course, nobody can read Princess mind and understand some of these booking and cabin things that they do.   But, I will say that the whole idea and purpose of a GTY is so that Princess can put you anywhere they works, for THEM.  If that turns out to be an upgrade, which could mean a better cabin category (the first letter  'B' for balcony) but a less desirable location, so be it.  I don't know.  But I really don't think that there is any real chance that a GTY could, or would, be considered 'no upgrade'.

I’ve seen some posts before where someone had a Guarantee & once their stateroom was assigned they looked at available staterooms in the same category & Princess allowed them to change. Has anyone experienced this?

As others have said a guarantee simply means that you can be assigned anywhere on the ship in the category you picked or higher. That means that you have to be willing to except where ever the assign you.

I’m aware that some people choose at GTY as they could get an upgrade but that’s like throwing the dice at the Craps table as you’ll never know what the results will be. 

Tom😀

10 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’ve seen some posts before where someone had a Guarantee & once their stateroom was assigned they looked at available staterooms in the same category & Princess allowed them to change. Has anyone experienced this?

As others have said a guarantee simply means that you can be assigned anywhere on the ship in the category you picked or higher. That means that you have to be willing to except where ever the assign you.

I’m aware that some people choose at GTY as they could get an upgrade but that’s like throwing the dice at the Craps table as you’ll never know what the results will be. 

Tom😀

Whenever a guest has an actual cabin assignment they can ask Princess or their TA (if applicable) to change to any other open cabin in the same category.