Is the easy plus drinks package pretty good for moderate drinkers?

fluffybunny22

Brand new to MSC and I chose the option to include the easy plus drink package in our booking. We aren't huge drinkers but we do have 4 sea days on our cruise which my husband usually passes by drinking. Normally on Celebrity I would upgrade my package to premium but it looks like we would need to upgrade all of them and we have our son who is an adult but isn't a drinker in our cabin so it doesn't really make sense to upgrade all of them. I'm a fruity and frozen drinker usually. Maybe some mojitos and mules. We both will drink mimosas and bellinis. My husband is more wine by the glass with the occasional Stella or Red Stripe. Will this package suit our needs? If a drink is over the package price do I pay the difference or the full price? Is the soda included only fountain soda or are cans included?

I can't speak to the wine situation AT ALL, but I am onboard the Meraviglia right now and have had no trouble at all finding things covered under my Easy Plus package. In fact, I had a hard time finding something to try outside of the package just to test out how the new policy of only charging the difference is being implemented. I post my daily drink lists on my Live From blog, which you can find right now on the MSC forums here on cruise critic, if you want to take a look. I also posted a PDF of the current drink menus.

• Like 1

My take is yes. Easy Plus is adequate for moderate drinkers. Especially if you are flexible in what brands and specific drinks are okay. It may not work if you are someone that has to have specific higher end brands of liquor or a very broad selection. (My biggest issue is that I prefer Jack Daniels over Jim Beam or Seagrams 7, and Jack is in the Premium tier. However, I can definitely get by with the other brands.)

Edited by jame_g

Which package suits you, is less a question of moderation or of how much you drink but more about what kind of drinks you like to get. 

On MSC all packages allow for an unlimited number of drinks.

If you are happy with the drinks included in Easy it might take you four to five drinks for it to pay off. You prefer drinks at the upper limit of the Easy Plus or at the upper limit of the Premium? Same game, four to five drinks to make it pay off. Not counted for water and similiar.

Having said that, the drinks you describe are partly covered in Easy but probably most in Easy Plus.

The quality of available wines increases with the package but I cannot judge your needs in this regard. 

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

Having said that, the drinks you describe are partly covered in Easy but probably most in Easy Plus.

The quality of available wines increases with the package but I cannot judge your needs in this regard. 

Is there a dollar amount that determines what wine by the glass is available? I can't really judge what my husband's needs are in regards to wine but we did recently eat at a nice restaurant and the waiter told the table next to us not to buy the house wine but just get the next one up and it will usually be pretty decent. It seemed like good advice.

1 hour ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Is there a dollar amount that determines what wine by the glass is available? I can't really judge what my husband's needs are in regards to wine but we did recently eat at a nice restaurant and the waiter told the table next to us not to buy the house wine but just get the next one up and it will usually be pretty decent. It seemed like good advice.

Easy plus covers up to $10 drinks. Wine is very personal. The only difference between a cheap wine and an expensive wine is what you’re willing to pay for it. 

Ok, first off I don't want to say I'm a certain kind of drinker. BUT I do enjoy my drinks. I stopped sailing carnival because they cut you off after 15 drinks. I seldom hit the 15, but I like to try different drinks. If I don't like it I dump it, but it doesn't count towards my limit. MSC easy plus will get you all you need if you not a fussy wine drinker. I drink wine but not fussy. As cocktails,.all the basic are there. I have never tried to order something that wasn't included. I would say unless you want top shelf brands and high end wine, the easy plus is just fine.

7 hours ago, bruce85 said:

Ok, first off I don't want to say I'm a certain kind of drinker. BUT I do enjoy my drinks. I stopped sailing carnival because they cut you off after 15 drinks. I seldom hit the 15, but I like to try different drinks. If I don't like it I dump it, but it doesn't count towards my limit. MSC easy plus will get you all you need if you not a fussy wine drinker. I drink wine but not fussy. As cocktails,.all the basic are there. I have never tried to order something that wasn't included. I would say unless you want top shelf brands and high end wine, the easy plus is just fine.

Based on this we should be fine. We don't need top shelf liquors and my husband usually drinks around a $15 glass of wine. Wine is cheaper in Europe in general. We just got back from France and at one restaurant he thought he was ordering a glass and he ended up with a bottle. At home cocktails are $15 when on MSC they'd be covered under the package.

16 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Wine is very personal. The only difference between a cheap wine and an expensive wine is what you’re willing to pay for it. 

Huh, what?  If you can't taste or tell the difference between the La Terre "house" wine and a glass of something better than you do you, boo.  But I know I can.  Every. Single. Day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Huh, what?  If you can't taste or tell the difference between the La Terre "house" wine and a glass of something better than you do you, boo.  But I know I can.  Every. Single. Day.

I was just saying that taste is subjective. Just because a wine is cheap or expensive doesn’t mean it’s bad or good. Lol

Had the 'easy plus' on Virtuosa in Jan. '23. Was a little concerned beforehand - needn't have been !

Waiters at lunch/dinner soon became aware that, if I mentioned a wine to start with, it would eventually be the whole bottle. They just kept pouring !

Elsewhere(& as you might have gathered, I enjoy a drink) can honestly say I never once worried about something being slightly over the price limit...there was plenty under it that did just fine.

Next 4 cruises with MSC happen to include the 'top' Premium package anyway....but if they hadn't, would not have felt in any way 'deprived' !

Have a great time !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Based on this we should be fine. We don't need top shelf liquors and my husband usually drinks around a $15 glass of wine. Wine is cheaper in Europe in general. We just got back from France and at one restaurant he thought he was ordering a glass and he ended up with a bottle. At home cocktails are $15 when on MSC they'd be covered under the package.

Where are you sailing? In Europe?

The wine offerings are different in Europe and on US sailings.

In Europe Easy Plus had some nice wines. Sailing from Miami, I found it hard to find a decent wine even on the Premium package, certainly not below that (for me).

15 minutes ago, carlmm said:

In Europe Easy Plus had some nice wines. Sailing from Miami, I found it hard to find a decent wine even on the Premium package, certainly not below that (for me).

We are sailing in Europe.

23 minutes ago, carlmm said:

It’s the sulfites that the US requires. Wine in Europe is so much better if you can get it without sulfites. 

15 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

It’s the sulfites that the US requires. Wine in Europe is so much better if you can get it without sulfites. 

???

The US requires the declaration that wine labels must disclose if a level of 10 mg/L of sulfites or higher are in the wine True tht in the European Union, wine may contain up to 210 ppm sulfites. In the U.S., the upper limit is 350 ppm.  That does not mean the US requires vintners to up the use of sulphur dioxide.  Your wording implies that the US requires that wines include sulfites. A different matter entirely!

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAGR said:

???

The US requires the declaration that wine labels must disclose if a level of 10 mg/L of sulfites or higher are in the wine Your wording implies that the US requires that wines include sulfites. A different matter entirely!

You’re correct, I mistakenly misunderstood something I was told years ago. Sorry for the incorrect information. 

• Thanks 1

Upgrade Your Drink Choice If you’re thirsting for a cocktail, favorite spirit or special glass of wine that’s not included in your purchased beverage package discounts are available to ensure you quench your thirst. Easy Package holders save $ 8 on all beverages $ 8 or more. Easy Plus Package holders save $ 10 on all beverages of $ 10 or more. Premium Extra Package holders save $ 16 on all beverages of $ 16 or more

Is this new ? 

I was told if you wanted to buy a drink in a higher tier you did not get a discount and had to pay full price + grat.

We are sailing on a UK Departure next week, so not sure if its different ? Or is this a new thing ?

4 hours ago, ExeCuteUK said:

Upgrade Your Drink Choice If you’re thirsting for a cocktail, favorite spirit or special glass of wine that’s not included in your purchased beverage package discounts are available to ensure you quench your thirst. Easy Package holders save $ 8 on all beverages $ 8 or more. Easy Plus Package holders save $ 10 on all beverages of $ 10 or more. Premium Extra Package holders save $ 16 on all beverages of $ 16 or more

Is this new ? 

I was told if you wanted to buy a drink in a higher tier you did not get a discount and had to pay full price + grat.

We are sailing on a UK Departure next week, so not sure if its different ? Or is this a new thing ?

New.

5 hours ago, ExeCuteUK said:

Is this new ? 

This is definitely new. Just changed within the past few weeks, but I can confirm it is currently implemented onboard the Meraviglia at least.