Nutshell On My Own

So I've done some bookings to put together a round trip from Bergen.  Picked the F trains to be able to get seat assignments in advance.

F4 Bergen to Voss 8:14 to 9:20

Gudvagen to Flam Ferry 12:00 to 14:00

Flam Railway  14:35 to 15:31

F4 Myrdal to Bergen 17:04 to 19:06

My missing piece is the bus from Voss to Gudvagen I assume this is the Skyss #950 departing at 10:10.  My question is how and when can I buy these tickets?  I'll need to do this with a US credit card.  

One other question, is there any problem taking a walker on any of these segments.  It doesn't get used during the segments but just for the walk between them.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

I am looking at doing this on my own when we are in port in Bergen.

Is it a port stop and your first visit to Bergen?  In that case, I would recommend seeing Bergen rather than a 'Nutshell' trip.

The Nutshell tour consists of different parts - Fjord Cruise Nærøyfjord and the Flåm Railway. First you have to take a bus from Bergen to Gudevangen - from there by Fjordline to Flåm - Flåm line to Myrdal and from here by train back to Bergen. 4 different means of transport and a total of approximately 7 - 8 hours transport plus waiting time between the individual sections - one delay and the ship has left Bergen.

If you have the necessary time, it is easy to plan and book the tour - Vy.no for public transport including Flåm Train and Norway Best for the boat tour.

10 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

@ericosmith,  I am looking at doing this on my own when we are in port in Bergen. Did you do this and if so, how did it go?

Unfortunately I got called home do to a death in the family the day after arriving in Bergen.  I'm hoping to make it happen next year.  I would never attempt to do it on a port stop.  Only if staying in Bergen the night before and the night after.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

@ericosmith,  I am looking at doing this on my own when we are in port in Bergen. Did you do this and if so, how did it go?

Fjordtours.com offers a single ticket for “Norway in a Nutshell”, with a choice of times, directions, etc. It includes trains, boats, buses, etc. and is easy to understand. It is not an inexpensive trip, but then nothing in Scandinavia is. If you are in Bergen for more than a day or so, it is a great way to see beautiful parts of this amazing country.

Two reasons I booked on my own.  First, it saves quite a bit of money.  Second, the trains they book are locals with no advance seat selection.  By booking myself I picked long distance trains that gave me a bit more time between segments and I was able to preselect forward facing seats in the middle of a window.