Cozumel / Chanknaab Park

moonlitmagik

Hey all -

We're on MSC Seascape on 7-30 out of Miami. We'll be in Cozumel on Aug 4th I believe. I'm interested in Chanknaab park but I am also interested in saving money and refuse to book ANYTHING through MSC as i've read far too many horror stories and bad reviews, plus I've been to Cozumel before (lets hope this time I don't lose my wallet....!) I keep reading about there being an all inclusive or buffet option mostly through sites like viator or shoreexcursioneer. Is there a way I can purchase this with my ticket directly through Chanknaab park website itself, or do I have to get one of the pricey dolphin excursions that i'm not interested in?

9 hours ago, moonlitmagik said:

Hey all -

We're on MSC Seascape on 7-30 out of Miami. We'll be in Cozumel on Aug 4th I believe. I'm interested in Chanknaab park but I am also interested in saving money and refuse to book ANYTHING through MSC as i've read far too many horror stories and bad reviews, plus I've been to Cozumel before (lets hope this time I don't lose my wallet....!) I keep reading about there being an all inclusive or buffet option mostly through sites like viator or shoreexcursioneer. Is there a way I can purchase this with my ticket directly through Chanknaab park website itself, or do I have to get one of the pricey dolphin excursions that i'm not interested in?

I couldn't find anything about dining packages from the Park website.  We usually grab a cab and pay at the park.  There is a $2 off coupon and we order a la carte. I believe that I got the coupons from Cozumelinsider.  So easy to do on your own.

Edited by clackey
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, clackey said:

I couldn't find anything about dining packages from the Park website.  We usually grab a cab and pay at the park.  There is a $2 off coupon and we order a la carte. I believe that I got the coupons from Cozumelinsider.  So easy to do on your own.

How were the food prices? And I will definitely eat more than a few shrimp LOL

1 hour ago, moonlitmagik said:

Not sure the buffet is all you can eat and whilst adequate ii isn’t great. We find it better to do PAYG from the beach bar but then we are only looking for a substantial “snack”.  Food quality, quantity and requirements are very subjective. Prices as I recall are typical Cozumel “tourist” prices - not outlandish but not what you find at the local eateries.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 9:28 PM, clackey said:

We're planning to visit Chanknaab on our next cruise, and we're doing the same thing for several reasons: 

- If it happens to rain, we aren't committed.  No one wants a beach day in the rain. 

- We're traveling in the fall, so I'm not worried about the place filling up /admission being unavailable. 

- A taxi (both ways) and admission are significantly cheaper than an excursion.  We don't plan to swim with dolphins, etc.  

On 4/17/2023 at 9:57 PM, moonlitmagik said:

Here are some pictures off the internet.  We will get a couple snacks -- I'm definitely with you on the shrimp, but I don't really care to sign on for a full-on buffet.  I like the way these menus show prices in pesos and US dollars.  

Screenshot 2023-05-04 4.28.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-04 4.27.48 PM.png

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We're planning to visit Chanknaab on our next cruise, and we're doing the same thing for several reasons: 

- If it happens to rain, we aren't committed.  No one wants a beach day in the rain. 

- We're traveling in the fall, so I'm not worried about the place filling up /admission being unavailable. 

- A taxi (both ways) and admission are significantly cheaper than an excursion.  We don't plan to swim with dolphins, etc.  

Sounds like a good idea. It is nice not to commit until you see the weather!

I would probably do the same although once we did book through the ship as it did end up cheaper when transport was included (they use regular taxi vans) when the excursions were on sale so its worth watching.

I have never noticed or seen reports of cooking class at Chankanaab, interesting! I wonder if that us an old menu.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, moonlitmagik said:

We'll be there in August. Probably not a smart idea... but I wanted to go somewhere with good snorkeling and everyone is saying El cielo or Playa Palancar is really good for that but OMG the prices....

Not sure which prices? Are you talking about the snorkeling tours? or Chankanaab?

We'll be there in August. Probably not a smart idea... but I wanted to go somewhere with good snorkeling and everyone is saying El cielo or Playa Palancar is really good for that but OMG the prices....

If you have your own equipment, Money Bar, Sky Reef, Playa Palancar.  There are also small boat operators who can take you to the Columbia and Palancar reef with El Cielo.  None of these are expensive imo.  My personal favorite is Sky Reef.  

59 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure which prices? Are you talking about the snorkeling tours? or Chankanaab?

I was looking at prices of tours on viator and they seem to be more expensive than even what youd find locally. I do have my own snorkel mask, but no fins if that makes a difference. I was trying to stay relatively inexpensive in price if that matters?

40 minutes ago, moonlitmagik said:

I was looking at prices of tours on viator and they seem to be more expensive than even what youd find locally. I do have my own snorkel mask, but no fins if that makes a difference. I was trying to stay relatively inexpensive in price if that matters?

If I can make a suggestion, if you are on FB, go to Cozumel4you fb page.  The local tour operators post there.  I have used Mystic Snorkel in the past which was a 4 hour tour to Columbia and Palancar reefs.  A small boat tour with sodas, waters, beers, fruit, and the owner's wife made cake.  I got Mystic Snorkel info from FB.  

If snorkeling is your prime goal, not sandy beach, than I would suggest shore snorkeling from Sky Reef, Money Bar, playa Corona or one of the north shore beach clubs, La Monina, Hemingway’s or Buccanos for PAYG options. I think Sky Reef and Money Bar have equipment rental.

There are some snorkeling areas, maybe not the best but to save in transport,  within walking distance of the ports depending on which pier,

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, moonlitmagik said:

If you plan to snorkel from shore, Playa Palancar is pretty poor.  They do have a good boat snorkel to the reef though.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for being so slow about food prices at Chank.  We spent a whole day there, had a few drinks, fajitas for two, and the total bill was about $40 including the tip for our server.  We ate on the beach and Edwardo took good care of us.  Our daughters had massages and were impressed.  They recommended them wholeheartedly.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, clackey said:

Sorry for being so slow about food prices at Chank.  We spent a whole day there, had a few drinks, fajitas for two, and the total bill was about $40 including the tip for our server.  We ate on the beach and Edwardo took good care of us.  Our daughters had massages and were impressed.  They recommended them wholeheartedly.

The menus were listed above although there is more than one food location and I think they are independent, certainly different pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

Snorkeling at Chankanaab is decent. We've been there many times. We were just there a little over a month ago. The pictures of the menu's (looks different than when we were just there) and pricing is different. I have a full review on our day there HERE and it has the menu's and pricing in it if you are interested. 

HERE and HERE are 2 other previous reviews of Chankanaab and snorkeling. 

We also loved snorkeling at Sky Reef. It had so many beautiful different colored sea fans and I was so amazed (and I snorkel everywhere in the Caribbean). Check it out HERE.

If you are thinking of doing the El Cielo trip, we had a good time but the snorkeling will be different. Remember, you are out in the ocean snorkeling, so the coral and fish will be a lot further down and harder to see. I like to take pictures, so to me, that's something that's important to me and hard to get pictures when they are so far away. HERE is my review on the El Cielo trip. We went to 2 reefs and one of them was a little closer to the surface than the other, which made it nicer. Of course going to the starfish area was cool as well. We had a good day for sure.

We've been to the Money Bar. Many people recommend it for snorkeling. We were not impressed. HERE was our day there. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2023 at 6:24 AM, mitsugirly said:

Snorkeling at Chankanaab is decent. We've been there many times. We were just there a little over a month ago. The pictures of the menu's (looks different than when we were just there) and pricing is different. I have a full review on our day there HERE and it has the menu's and pricing in it if you are interested. 

HERE and HERE are 2 other previous reviews of Chankanaab and snorkeling. 

We also loved snorkeling at Sky Reef. It had so many beautiful different colored sea fans and I was so amazed (and I snorkel everywhere in the Caribbean). Check it out HERE.

If you are thinking of doing the El Cielo trip, we had a good time but the snorkeling will be different. Remember, you are out in the ocean snorkeling, so the coral and fish will be a lot further down and harder to see. I like to take pictures, so to me, that's something that's important to me and hard to get pictures when they are so far away. HERE is my review on the El Cielo trip. We went to 2 reefs and one of them was a little closer to the surface than the other, which made it nicer. Of course going to the starfish area was cool as well. We had a good day for sure.

We've been to the Money Bar. Many people recommend it for snorkeling. We were not impressed. HERE was our day there. 

Thank you so much for this! I especially appreciate the details you covered in getting in and out of the water to snorkel. I have a mild disability that affects my balance and that info and the pictures are very helpful.

3 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Thank you so much for this! I especially appreciate the details you covered in getting in and out of the water to snorkel. I have a mild disability that affects my balance and that info and the pictures are very helpful.

You're very welcome. I have difficulty with one of my legs with 3 previous surgeries so I completely understand and I have to take things easy when entering and exiting myself. 

• Like 1