Baggage weight limit?

Qazzy

We will be on the Meravigilla in May.  I read the baggage weight limit is 50 pounds.  Do they actually weigh your bags?  I always have trouble staying exactly under 50 pounds while flying so I'm wondering if a few pounds over would matter?  Or should I bring 2 suitcases?

I have been on 12 MSC cruises and last one was on the Meraviglia in January. This is the first time I have ever heard of a weight limit.  My luggage is always over 50 lbs. Never had an issue.  Never knew they had a rule. Learn something new every day.  But my answer is, in the US I have never had a problem.

Other than for transatlantic crossings, MSC hasn't have any luggage limit allowance per passenger as far as I know. Some ports may effectively to be implementing such a scheme of those sorts which I believe as being as @Essiesmom says to alleviate porters and crew work. If that is the case for the UK sailings, then yes. For me that's a no question once most of my cruises would need a beforehand flight, so I'd to be pretty much on the limits anyway.

57 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Other than for transatlantic crossings, MSC hasn't have any luggage limit allowance per passenger as far as I know. Some ports may effectively to be implementing such a scheme of those sorts which I believe as being as @Essiesmom says to alleviate porters and crew work. If that is the case for the UK sailings, then yes. For me that's a no question once most of my cruises would need a beforehand flight, so I'd to be pretty much on the limits anyway.

You are correct. I went back and read MSC's guidelines and other than Grand Voyages, it is just a recommendation. Per their website:

Luggage limit per person

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person (not exceeding 90x75x43 cm in size and 23 kg in weight per bag), and two pieces of hand luggage per person (not exceeding 56x45x25 cm in size and 23 kg in weight per bag).

On all MSC Grand Voyages to/from The Caribbean, South America, South Africa and The United Arab Emirates, the above mentioned guidelines represent the maximum limit allowed per person. In any case, the maximum amount of luggage in each cabin must not exceed 100 kg and/or 8 pieces among all passengers in the same cabin. Any piece of luggage exceeding the allowance will not be accepted at Check-In. Guests intending to exceed these limits are invited to contact MSC Cruises directly or via their travel agents at the time of booking for information on how to ship luggage in excess of the free luggage allowance separately via freight or cargo, at an additional charge. 

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

In any case, the maximum amount of luggage in each cabin must not exceed 100 kg and/or 8 pieces among all passengers in the same cabin. Any piece of luggage exceeding the allowance will not be accepted at Check-In. Guests intending to exceed these limits are invited to contact MSC Cruises directly or via their travel agents at the time of booking for information on how to ship luggage in excess of the free luggage allowance separately via freight or cargo, at an additional charge. 

Don't tell @morpheusofthesea

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 2

In a not so long past it was usual on crossings from Brazil and Portugal to have the Brazilians using the ships as their definitive transportation way. Guess what? They used to fill their cabins with as many luggage as they could to transport their most valuable belongings across the ocean at a very affordable cost!... Then; MSC started to use a scheme similar to air transit ones to avoid abuse on those sailings.

As per regular travel, I believe that once most would need a flight service, one would of course need to go by the airline standards, so no need to worry about those limits.

Hello,

I'm not casting doubt on anything previously written here but would like to know when & where these 'weigh-ins' take place.

Despite two MSC departures from Southampton last year, I have no recollection of the check-in process apart from the nasal swab nor the building's architecture - like are there scales similar to an airline check-in counter? Did I leave my luggage at some point outside of the departure entrance as I do with RCI & X? I cannot remember and I hope it's not my age! Is there enough time between luggage deposit and ship's departure for every item to be weighed and yanked-off the conveyor belt if outside the weight parameters? I think this new requirement may have been put in more as a 'marker' or warning and there may not be the ability to enforce it. Yet.

Regards,

Cublet