Laundry - Scenic and others

Kristelle

Have you been offered any perks such as luggage? Very recently in the U.K. it was announced no more luggage or other such perks to be replaced with €50 onc. I will try to find the exact wording. This could be used for extra laundry or spa treatments. Everything else is included, you want to wonder off on your own you can even ask for a picnic for instance.

On our small print details paperwork, 

Loyalty Onboard Credit Inclusion.

Continuing our sustainability journey, guests will now automatically receive 50€ per person on board currency credit in lieu of luggage.

It may be different in other parts of the world.

Kristelle which deck are you on?

We are on Sapphire deck on Scenic Jade.

from Australia, if that makes any difference

haven't been offerred any perks such as extra luggage - but such would be bit pointless from Aust since we can only take the flight luggage limit on the flight there anyway

Edited by Kristelle

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Have you been offered any perks such as luggage? Very recently in the U.K. it was announced no more luggage or other such perks to be replaced with €50 onc. I will try to find the exact wording. This could be used for extra laundry or spa treatments. Everything else is included, you want to wonder off on your own you can even ask for a picnic for instance.

On our small print details paperwork, 

Loyalty Onboard Credit Inclusion.

Continuing our sustainability journey, guests will now automatically receive 50€ per person on board currency credit in lieu of luggage.

It may be different in other parts of the world.

Kristelle which deck are you on?

When I contacted Scenic about the luggage, I was told we each would be receiving a 50 Euro on board credit instead, we are in Canada.  Also I had asked about the private transfers, we are out of the mileage limit, here in Canada it was only 25km, so we will each be receiving a $100 credit instead. 

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

does Scenic have 50 obc for everyone?

I havent seen any mention of that before.

What does one use obc for in an all inclusive cruise? (apart from laundry)

OBC can be used in the spa or hairdresser as well as in the onboard shop. You can pay extra charges like extra laundry or pressing and a very few of the liquor not included ( but I can’t imagine what they are as everything I wanted was included). 

Thanks 1of4.

I do not intend to use a hairdresser on board.

Do you pay just to go in the spa - or is it for massage type treatments  - which I would not use either

Might treat myself one night to a fancy cocktail or two - which would be in the non included drinks, I'm sure.

haven't seen anything about included OBC in Australian literature - but I guess if  I give myself a credit card allowance of, say, $100 Aust dollars, I might use it on laundry, additional to the free bag included once per cruise and to fancy drinks once or twice.

Kristelle you’re in for a shock it would have to be an extremely off the wall cocktail not to be included as the norm. You could try a different cocktail as often as you like. On several of our Scenic cruises the bar has their cocktail of the day both alcoholic and nonalcoholic different every day (I suspect this happens across the industry) so the ladies meeting up front was a colourful affair of ‘taste that cocktail’. ( this was a group of Canadians, Australians, New Zealander’s English one Japanese and one Norwegian lady, some years ago before the Americans discovered Scenic) putting the world to rights as our menfolk talked of - rubbish! 

I don’t drink gin but DH does and the first test he carries out is the quality of their Dry Martini. One cruise in particular mixed the meanest Bloody Mary ever. I’m actually try to find what premium drinks and their cost on board Scenic Gem at the moment as it’s DHs birthday and I want to surprise him.

Technically you could disembark without opening your wallet on board.

I was told I couldn’t use the obc in the on board shop but then this is all so new it’s a W&S isn’t it?

Edited by Canal archive

well, included cocktails would be a nice shock 😍

My impression was that wine, beer ,soft drinks were included, not 'premium drinks'

but on checking the literature it says "Your premium beverages – wine, beer, cocktails, spirits – are included and available all day and not just at mealtimes." - so it seems that would include a cocktail whenever ( I anticipate just now and then in the evening not "all day" 🤣) and DH likes a Jim Beam or Jack Daniels sometimes - well known regular spirits

Pleasant shock to know they are in included drinks.

tiny foot note says this does not include some fine wines and champagnes - since I rarely drink wine, this will make no difference for me.

What sort of things would the onboard shop sell? - toiletries if somebody forgot to bring deodorant, hair spray or suchlike and small sourvenirs?

Must admit the obc is very new only started this year and it’s 50€ each, I thought it couldn’t be used in the on board shop but can’t find we’re I got that from. I’ve never had my hair done but have indulged in a manicure.  The luggage was a small backpack, ours have all gone to DofE participants, then as you did more trips a wheeled carry on then a full sized suitcase delivered before your trip. 
Evidently a bottle of Moët is over £100.
One evening we drunk the ship dry of Laphroaig at no extra cost Aussies, Canadians and Brits one of those memorable friendly special evenings.

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Thanks 1of4.

I do not intend to use a hairdresser on board.

Do you pay just to go in the spa - or is it for massage type treatments  - which I would not use either

Might treat myself one night to a fancy cocktail or two - which would be in the non included drinks, I'm sure.

haven't seen anything about included OBC in Australian literature - but I guess if  I give myself a credit card allowance of, say, $100 Aust dollars, I might use it on laundry, additional to the free bag included once per cruise and to fancy drinks once or twice.

We bought gifts for our kids from the onboard shop. There is a gym that is free for everyone to use but I never used the spa or hairdresser but they both became booked very quickly from what I heard. The spa has a menu in each cabin and if I remember correctly it had facials, massages and other treatments.

only the extremely premium liquor was a charge. I remember being surprised by the variety that was included as my husband likes single malt scotch and brandy and everything was included. I don’t drink so that’s why the diamond deck is a complete waste as the one special dinner with the captain is a set menu wine pairing dinner so not for me. 

Our cruise has been punted 3 times due to covid so I’m not sure what we will get next April other than free economy air from Canada which we hope to upgrade. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 3:56 PM, Canal archive said:

I know I’ve only ever traveled with Scenic and I am now absolutely convinced you have never.

Who is the 'you' mentioned? Since your post appears directly under mine it reads as if you are refering to me. If so, you are wrong. See 

I have just returned from another Viking cruise. Luxury, and real Champagne!

On 4/29/2023 at 12:07 PM, tulok said:

I would love to know Ama prices. We have only sailed with lines that include guest laundry, with makes my packing so much lighter.  

We were on AmaStella last month. We got 2 bags of laundry done for free on our 2 week cruise. It is one bag for a one week cruise.

I washed undies and hung them on the shower drying line, but laundry was great for shirts, blouses, etc.

1 hour ago, pontac said:
On 4/22/2023 at 10:56 AM, Canal archive said:

I know I’ve only ever traveled with Scenic and I am now absolutely convinced you have never.

Who is the 'you' mentioned?

@Canal archive I have had the same issue with your posts before. It would be very helpful if you quoted the post to which you are referring, so that it is possible to follow your train of thought. Thank you.

In case you don't know how, to quote an entire post just hit the quote button at the bottom. The post will show up with a light blue-grey line to the left of it. Just make sure that you are below that line when you put in your comment. To quote only part of a post, highlight it, and you will see a button that says quote selection right where you are highlighting. Hit it, and follow the same instructions for posting below the blue-grey line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We were on AmaStella last month. We got 2 bags of laundry done for free on our 2 week cruise. It is one bag for a one week cruise.

I washed undies and hung them on the shower drying line, but laundry was great for shirts, blouses, etc.

Thank you. I like washing airplane and undies.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Huh? I tried to think of what this might be, but I drew a complete blank!

Hahaha That is what I get for trying to work and post at the same time. Airplane clothes. As in what I wore on the plane and would like to wear back home.

Edited by tulok
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pontac said:

I have just returned from another Viking cruise. Luxury, and real Champagne!

I guess different things are more important to different people - real champagne is of no interest to me - would rather cheaper laundry costs.

12 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I guess different things are more important to different people - real champagne is of no interest to me - would rather cheaper laundry costs.

Indeed, which is why I recommend those that come here asking which is the best cruise line to draw up a checklist of the things they want, things they'd like, and things that are not important and then compare the various offerings.

I can understand the importance of laundry to those - like you - who have travelled a long distance. For me, a river cruise is just 8 days away from home so laundry is of no importance.

My reference to real Champagne was pointed at Canal Archive who praises Scenic. They advertise Champagne is included, but on my trip with them last year they served a substitute instead.

Edited by pontac
to correct a spelling error
  • Like 1

We are away for  almost 3 weeks in total - pre cruise and then 14 day cruise

Yes, certainly questions which is the best anything are subjective and giving specific criteria is going to get better answers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 7:46 AM, Kristelle said:

thank you.

Yes  I guess rows of underwear hanging on balconies would look pretty tacky

We are on the lowest level of cabins with a balcony. Cabin grade C on Sapphire deck of Scenic Jade.

Do small things dry ok in the bathroom even though there is no window there?

Just got back from a scenic cruise. Hand laundry dried in one or two days, depending on fabric if the bathroom door is left open. We always pack hangers for shirts and pants. 

dcl999 therefore just a tad difficult to hang out on the balcony! I would say - on Scenic - ask your butler for more hangers. 

I will just say in reply to Pontac and his innuendo’s about my support of Scenic he is absolutely correct I really do support them, I have never cruised with another company and have never implied that I have but I luckily do have several friends who have and actually would not change to another line at the moment. It’s basically horses for courses if you preference Scandinavian then you know which line to travel with I for whatever reason prefer Australian when and if I find another line with inclusions I want to try I may change lines but I’m pretty sure it will be with a less packed passenger list.

gnome12 have tried your instructions on quotes and it’s not working.

• 3 months later...

We just had our invoice updated for our April ‘24 Scenic cruise and the $50 OBC for laundry has been “discontinued” and has disappeared from our booking, even though it was on our original paperwork. I’m sure we will still get it, but we have to push it ‘up the line’ for approval. 

• Like 1