Norwegian promos and packages - always focused on guest 1&2?

acuprulez

Just booked my first cruise on NCL viva, done mostly RCL/X  before.

It seems like even the haven is not very inclusive like the equivalents on other lines?  Free at sea appears to only be geared towards guests 1&2, with upcharges that give some of those things to guests 3+, and even free at sea is not really unlimited (drinks is basic package, wifi is a limited amount of minutes, only a couple nights of dining).

Am I missing something or is NCL just extremely different when it comes to how they structure packages and high level suites?

PBP promo is for all guests 21 and older in the stateroom if 1&2 take the promo. It used to be only for guests 1&2.

The SDP promo is still for guests 1&2.

Some people prefer to have things optional as opposed to all inclusive. For example, some Haven guests do not drink alcohol so they can decline the PBP promo and not pay the service charge ($21.80 pppd). Some people don't want the SDP promo if they are staying in the Haven. If things were all inclusive, those people would be paying for something that they don't want. 

48 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

Just booked my first cruise on NCL viva, done mostly RCL/X  before.

It seems like even the haven is not very inclusive like the equivalents on other lines?  Free at sea appears to only be geared towards guests 1&2, with upcharges that give some of those things to guests 3+, and even free at sea is not really unlimited (drinks is basic package, wifi is a limited amount of minutes, only a couple nights of dining).

Am I missing something or is NCL just extremely different when it comes to how they structure packages and high level suites?

You are missing something. You need to actually read the terms and conditions. And if you don't want the free perks, you can decline them rather than complain about them. 

There is really only one perk that costs a lot of money if booked separately and that is the beverage package. It applies to Guests 1 to 8. And it covers the first $15 of any drink. And, unless you are reaching for the top shelf at the bar, it is hard to find a drink over $15. So, there is nothing to complain about. 

For Guests 1 and 2, you get a couple of free nights of dining. Not sure why you would complain about it. If Guest 3 wants a couple of specialty dining nights, it's $99. So, you don't need to complain about that either. 

Unlited Open Bar Package 

• Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation for the entire length of the cruise. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Unlimited Open Bar Package does not apply, and soda package will not be given as a substitution.

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand it.  

For example, I don't see a situation where guests 1&2 want specialty dining but would leave out guests 3+ (except MAYBE if it's parents 1+2, children are 3).  Even then, I imagine it's probably the common case where all passengers in a cabin would want the same level of dining package.

Also I suppose I am comparing haven to star class on RCL, where everything is included in base level fare for all passengers in a cabin (wifi, dining, premium drinks, etc.).  The fact that such high-level suites still have all this additional information to sort through and plan is a bit of a downside comparatively.

I think the thing that is throwing me off is the wording centered around guests 1&2.  When trying to book and ensure everyone has the same level of benefits, it certainly isn't straighforward to figure out how to accomplish that even for someone who has experience booking things on other lines.

33 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

For example, I don't see a situation where guests 1&2 want specialty dining but would leave out guests 3+ (except MAYBE if it's parents 1+2, children are 3).  Even then, I imagine it's probably the common case where all passengers in a cabin would want the same level of dining package.

At one time, it was all guests in the stateroom. Additional guests are often children, as you mentioned. For young children, it is common that they order from the complimentary children's menu (not using the SDP). If the children or adult extra guests want to eat at the specialty restaurants, there is the option of paying the cover charge (when applicable), paying a la carte, or buying and using a SDP of their own. Again, NCL (for better or worse) gives guests the option to pay extra or to not pay extra. There isn't a blanket solution for everyone.

40 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

The fact that such high-level suites still have all this additional information to sort through and plan is a bit of a downside comparatively.

I agree that at the Haven price point, nearly everything should be included within the fare. It used to be more that way. There was a time when Haven guests were given unlimited specialty dining (no added service charge), adults drink package/kids soda package (no added service charge), included daily service charge (guests 1&2), and OBC. The product has been reduced while prices have increased. Haven is still good but it used to be better. With MSC's Yacht Club and Celebrity's Retreat, Haven has more competition and guests have more options as far as ship-within-a-ship cruising. Even RCCL is getting into the mix with the Suite Neighborhood.

50 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

When trying to book and ensure everyone has the same level of benefits, it certainly isn't straighforward to figure out how to accomplish that even for someone who has experience booking things on other lines.

Benefits are generally for everyone in the suite. The promos are a bit more complicated.

Some things are for guests 1&2 when it comes to promos. Some are for guest #1. Some are per stateroom. Some are for guests of a certain age (older or younger). Some incur an additional cost. Some do not incur an additional cost...

...pretty straightforward. 🤪

For the specialty dining, don't think of it as guest 3 being excluded, think of it as guests 1 & 2 getting a steep discount that makes the meal for 3 guests cost significantly cheaper than paying outright.

As for 3 guests in suites on other lines - yeah, Celebrity gives you specialty meals for free, but they charge you an egregious buttload of money to have that guest in your room in the first place. Have been pricing out a Thanksgiving cruise for 3 people on Celebrity and if we have 2 people in the room it's about 6K for a 4 day trip, if we have 3 people it's 9K. So sure, the specialty meals are "free" - but I'm paying 3K for that person overall.

Whereas with NCL, the 3rd guest is just an extra $500 or so to join us. So if I want to pay for extra meals that is certainly less expensive than the 3K just to get them in the room with us.

If you spend time getting to the nitty gritty, most lines are actually more similar than different. Others claim to include "free" things, but the costs are just rolled into the prices so they look 'free' because it's not an additional charge. The way NCL does it is viewed as nickel & diming to some, but I prefer their model. It lets me add in things that are a value add to me. I don't want free wifi, so by other lines giving it to me for 'free' it's not a value add. All depends on what is important to you.

But yeah.... stop fixating over what isn't included, and just compare total prices for the things that are important to you. Adding on an extra 2 meals for $99 with NCL will always be much cheaper than paying nearly full price for the 3rd guest to be in the room with you with the other guys.

To clarify then, can the free speciality dinner certificates for guest 1&2 be used for other guests? We were only planning on one speciality meal (Teppanyaki), and wanted to use our second cert for the kids. Is that not allowed? 

1 hour ago, RussNJodi said:

To clarify then, can the free speciality dinner certificates for guest 1&2 be used for other guests? We were only planning on one speciality meal (Teppanyaki), and wanted to use our second cert for the kids. Is that not allowed? 

The Free at Sea Pkg is for Guests 1& 2 only, and are not transferable!

• Like 1

NCL is not customer friendly! I just received my flight reservations for a cruise from Rome. We booked air and hotel through NCL for an early 3 day stay. I just received my flights this morning and we won't land in Rome until 535 PM losing a whole day. I called as soon as I received the air. They told me could not be modified because it has to be 75 days out which was 5 days ago, but I just received the notice this morning 70 days out. If I were sailing the same day They would get me to Rome at an early time!. I even offered to pay they said no!!! The air rep I spoke with agreed with me that it is not right! It falls within their parameter's that the flight arrive by 535 and hotel by 7. There is no way you can clear customs and get to the hotel by 7. NCL is losing a customer as of today. I can't even cancel without losing too much money and I looked to book my own air, but NCL will not refund all of my money so they got me. I will make the best of it but they have lost a loyal customer and I will never sail with them again, and I will encourage all of my friends and family not to sail with them!!!!! Not a happy person right now

43 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

NCL is not customer friendly! I just received my flight reservations for a cruise from Rome. We booked air and hotel through NCL for an early 3 day stay. I just received my flights this morning and we won't land in Rome until 535 PM losing a whole day. I called as soon as I received the air. They told me could not be modified because it has to be 75 days out which was 5 days ago, but I just received the notice this morning 70 days out. If I were sailing the same day They would get me to Rome at an early time!. I even offered to pay they said no!!! The air rep I spoke with agreed with me that it is not right! It falls within their parameter's that the flight arrive by 535 and hotel by 7. There is no way you can clear customs and get to the hotel by 7. NCL is losing a customer as of today. I can't even cancel without losing too much money and I looked to book my own air, but NCL will not refund all of my money so they got me. I will make the best of it but they have lost a loyal customer and I will never sail with them again, and I will encourage all of my friends and family not to sail with them!!!!! Not a happy person right now

You've posted this on multiple threads, are you just spamming for attention?

• Like 4

On 4/23/2023 at 12:13 PM, lawman294 said:

I think what you meant to say is "I will never use the NCL free air promotion again, as I like to have more control over which flights I am given." Out of curiosity - what is NCL charging you for all of those flights to Rome, and what was the cost if you had booked it yourself today on the specific 'better' flights that you want?

On 4/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, KSSS2013 said:

You've posted this on multiple threads, are you just spamming for attention?

Winner winner chicken dinner! Another contestant for overly dramatic for no real reason winner of the year.

On 4/22/2023 at 12:20 AM, acuprulez said:

Also I suppose I am comparing haven to star class on RCL, where everything is included in base level fare for all passengers in a cabin (wifi, dining, premium drinks, etc.).  The fact that such high-level suites still have all this additional information to sort through and plan is a bit of a downside comparatively.

It's really hard to compare Star class to The Haven..... but I did so here 😉

I agree with you 100%. NCL nickel and dimes you. Some people like it, because they don't care about some of the things that are included in an all inclusive offering. I like to not worry about the extras. I have my first Yacht Club cruise coming up this year, and I'm excited to see the difference.

It's sort of unfair to compare The Haven to Star class. Better to compare it with Sky class. You can easily spend $8k, for a 7 day cruise on RCL, and not get most of what NCL offers at that price point. No specialty dining, no drink package, no shore excursion credit, but you do get unlimited internet. Once you get over $12k on NCL, you're closer to the Star class range of prices. This is where I can't believe that NCL doesn't include more.