Shipping Charge Issue for Medallion & Lanyard

Robkat

We have two upcoming cruises.  

The first one we booked is for Dec '23 on the Sky, and we have Princess Premier.  On PP, you get the complimentary Medallion, the lanyard and a "Medallion accessory", for no charge or shipping fees.

After we booked, and started filling in our info for check in later, when we made our order for the above Medallion stuff, a $10 charge appeared for shipping.  We knew this was incorrect, but didn't want to face a phone call to Customer Service, so waited about a week, and when we went back into the booking about a week later, what do you know, the $10 shipping charge was changed to $0.

After that, we booked another cruise for this July (so we had to pay the balance when we made the reservation), and this time we'll have Princess Plus.  With P+, we should each get a complimentary Medallion and a lanyard, with no shipping fee.  

When we were filling in our info and ordering the Medallion to be delivered, once again a $10 shipping fee was being charged.

Its been a couple of weeks, and this time, it doesn't appear to be going away.  We can't continue with the "Ocean Ready" process until that section has been completed.

For those who have had Princess Plus, were you charged the $10 shipping fee?  Did you just go ahead and pay it?  Were you then given a credit, once you were on board the ship?  We're tempted to just pay for the shipping, but it's the principle of the thing ... Princess says shipping is complimentary. It's hard to believe that Princess's IT can't fix this glitch.  We're wondering if others have experienced this too, and how you proceeded.

I think I was charged $10 for shipping our Medallions for a cruise that departs in 9 days.  I heve not seen the charge on my credit card, so I might not have actually been charged.

I got the Medallions in the mail yesterday, and the excitement that the package created for both me and my wife was well worth the $10 charge, if it was in fact charged. 

We have the Plus package.  I am not going to stand in line at the Purser's Desk JUST to complain about the $10 shipping charge, but I will probably need to be at the Purser's desk during the cruise, and I will ask about the shipping charge whilst I am already there.

• Like 2

Same as the poster above. We have Plus so should not have been charged but when I ordered ours a couple months ago (haven't received yet for our cruise in less than 4 weeks), it mentioned a shipping charge.

However, I also do not see that my credit card was charged so maybe it was not actually charged either.

• Like 1

Here is my understanding based on a recent communication from Princess to TAs: 

Princess is charging the $10 shipping for medallion orders placed after Feb 20 which is when the new higher priced Princess Plus went into effect. 

At the time order is fulfilled Princess will check to see if the person has “old plus” or “new plus” and if they had the “new plus” the $10 fee is not processed if they booked under the “old plus” then they will be charged. 

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Thanks 2

Princess needs to grandfather in the old plus into the new plus for those of us that booked early. Since they don’t it makes me think maybe in the future, I shouldn’t add the Plus Package until I ready to make final payment.
I will not get the Premium Package again. Don’t need the Premium desserts, 4 device Wi-Fi, photo package and they don’t offer enough $18+ cocktails or wine. The only good part is 2 specialty dining per person. 

Had to pay the 10 for our Medallions for next months cruise on the Majestic.  I called customer service and was told to go to guest services on board to get your refund.  Cruised on the Discovery last year for the first time and the medallions were sent for free.  I got the old plus package at 40 per day for that cruise as well as the Majestic cruise.  I could have just been handed the medallions at embarkation to save the 10 bucks.  It's the epitome of nickel and dimeing.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who answered above.  

Helps to hear that others see the same issue, and also to know what TA's have been told!

We certainly wouldn't go to Guest Services just to try to recoup a $10 shipping charge, but as I said, it is the principle of the thing.  Don't say shipping is complimentary... and then charge it, and then tell people to go  get a refund or credit from Guest Services!

Thanks again everyone ... your replies and info helped. 

57 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

It is so easy to pickup your Medallions at the port, it only takes an extra 2 minutes. This eliminates the hassle of whether or not we will be charged.  We always cruise with the Plus Package.

But if I wasn't highjacked into paying the ten dollars I would not have been able to advance from blue to green on the app.

42 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But if I wasn't highjacked into paying the ten dollars I would not have been able to advance from blue to green on the app.

What sort of a problem does that present?

It worked flawlessly on our March cruise.  Booked in December, selected Plus and paid in full.  No shipping charge.

Now: booked in April for September sailing, selected plus, made a deposit.  $10 shipping charge. Opted for port pickup. 🤬

Edited by BamaVol

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

It is so easy to pickup your Medallions at the port, it only takes an extra 2 minutes. This eliminates the hassle of whether or not we will be charged.  We always cruise with the Plus Package.

But, isn't the whole idea of the Medallion to make certain activities an easier and smoother process, ie whizzing right through the check-in process?

So, if you opt to do a terminal pick-up, wouldn't you then have to line up with others who could not have the Medallion delivered, for example Canadians, Brits, Europeans and all other non-US passengers? We thought that would turn out to be a considerably longer process.

It sounds like the transition into the new Plus and Premier from the old Plus is not going all that smoothly?  

Also, we agree with @CruizinSusan70:DH wants to finish our check in for this upcoming cruise and doesn't want to have the 'green lane' withheld from us! 🤦‍♂️😂

For now, the Blue or Green lanes have not made a difference for us.  We go thru the Elite line and it has taken an extra 2 minutes for the check-in agent to retrieve our Medallions.  This has been the case in US and foreign ports.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

For now, the Blue or Green lanes have not made a difference for us.  We go thru the Elite line and it has taken an extra 2 minutes for the check-in agent to retrieve our Medallions.  This has been the case in US and foreign ports.

Your Elite status enables you to check in easier than us that have not reached your status yet.  Looking forward to achieving Platinum status when we cruise on the Sun, but Elite status will be a few years down the road.

• Like 1

We have never chosen to have our medallions mailed to us.  We see no point in it, particularly when we often leave our home and travel before our cruise.  We also prefer not to rely on the efficiency of mail and package delivery.  In the past we have been able to get our medallions quickly and easily at check-in.  As far as a $10 charge is concerned, until we accepted a Move Over offer from Princess we were scheduled to sail on the current April 22 Enchanted Mediterranean cruise.  We did not request that the medallions be mailed to us and planned to pick them up at the port.  We were not charged and we were both in the green lane.   We will do the same for our replacement cruise on June 24.  We just don’t see the need to have them before we check in at the port.  

On 4/26/2023 at 10:34 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Ordering the Medallion is required to get to green status.

Method of delivery (home or port) does not matter.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, BamaVol said:

Now: booked in April for September sailing, selected plus, made a deposit.  $10 shipping charge. Opted for port pickup. 🤬

Another thread has said that when it comes time to ship the Medallion to a home, they check if the fee is waived due to having purchased a package and, if a package has been purchased, you are not actually charged for the shipping.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, caribill said:

Another thread has said that when it comes time to ship the Medallion to a home, they check if the fee is waived due to having purchased a package and, if a package has been purchased, you are not actually charged for the shipping.

I ordered the Medallion a couple months ago and just received a credit card alert yesterday that I was charged event though we should not have been with the Plus package. So I assume they are getting ready to ship it now.

Wondering if it's worth the headache to call now and get it reversed or stand in line at Guest services...

8 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

I ordered the Medallion a couple months ago and just received a credit card alert yesterday that I was charged event though we should not have been with the Plus package. So I assume they are getting ready to ship it now.

Wondering if it's worth the headache to call now and get it reversed or stand in line at Guest services...

Might be worth shooting off an E-Mail anyway. Proof you tried to resolve it with the merchant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Probably a headache either way, but it needs to be fixed by Princess.

Guest services may be able to get you your $10 back, but they will probably not have any influence on getting the problem fixed.

However you get it done, I think it is worth the effort to speak with the Captain's Circle rep when on the cruise. Maybe he/she can put a word to the right place.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:35 AM, LACruiser88 said:

Yes, yes it is...

Cheers

On 4/26/2023 at 10:34 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Darn it.  Pick it up at the port..

Cheers