Adapter needed?

Vineyard View

Remember that even though the ship may have an outlet that won't require an adapter, your hotels at either end may have outlets that will.  Plus any airports where you may want to get a recharge for your devices.

Personally, I find that universal adapters are so compact nowadays, it's easy to toss a couple in your carryon with your devices and voila...you have them handy whenever you need them.

Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and have left them at home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that even though the ship may have an outlet that won't require an adapter, your hotels at either end may have outlets that will.  Plus any airports where you may want to get a recharge for your devices.

Personally, I find that universal adapters are so compact nowadays, it's easy to toss a couple in your carryon with your devices and voila...you have them handy whenever you need them.

Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and have left them at home.

I totally agree and one of the reasons I asked. I ordered a universal adapter that was recommended and it does not appear to have an option for our hotel in Italy. It has options for two or three prongs, however the two prongs appear to be for US outlets. So I think I need to look further. It got me thinking about what the outlets on Quest will be. We haven’t sailed since C and adapters appear to be much more compact than the bulky ones we have from the past. 

Edited by Vineyard View

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I totally agree and one of the reasons I asked. I ordered a universal adapter that was recommended and it does not appear to have an option for our hotel in Italy. It has options for two or three prongs, however the two prongs appear to be for US outlets. So I think I need to look further. It got me thinking about what the outlets on Quest will be. We haven’t sailed since C and adapters appear to be much more compact than the bulky ones we have from the past. 

On Quest the outlets are EU, US and USB. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Now I just need to find adapters that support multiple USB C. Appreciate the responses here

If you can do a board search someone posted a multiple USB C that they were using onboard quite recently. I thought I had the thread bookmarked but I don't. If you can't find the post,  comment here again and I'll check for it on a different device.

Also useful to know is that there are fewer US outlets in the suite than EU. 

Edited by Isklaar

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Now I just need to find adapters that support multiple USB C. Appreciate the responses here

I was on the Quest last September and found only one working US outlet; the one in the bathroom does not work with my electric shaver. I will bring along some EU adapters for my next cruise in June. As for USB outlets, the Quest has USB-A outlets and, in my cabin, not all of them are working. You may want to consider bringing some USB-A to USB-C cables, as a backup.

3 hours ago, CalmSea said:

I was on the Quest last September and found only one working US outlet; the one in the bathroom does not work with my electric shaver. I will bring along some EU adapters for my next cruise in June. As for USB outlets, the Quest has USB-A outlets and, in my cabin, not all of them are working. You may want to consider bringing some USB-A to USB-C cables, as a backup.

Wow. Well that sure seems like something that Seabourn could/should rectify, but good information to have. That would be frustrating as DH needs cpap outlet and we need additional for phones, etc. 

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Wow. Well that sure seems like something that Seabourn could/should rectify, but good information to have. That would be frustrating as DH needs cpap outlet and we need additional for phones, etc. 

We didn't bother to report the non-working outlets, because we could get by. I am  sure that if we reported the problems, they would be fixed quickly. But, even when all outlets are working, there is still essentially only one US outlet, because we are not supposed to plug in any power hungry device to the shaver outlet.

13 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Okay. That makes sense. I am only concerned with having an outlet for a cpap machine and separate one for phones and iPads. Not packing hair dryer and hoping not to regret that! 

My wife is very picky on hair dryers and found the one on Ovation to be very good.  Hopefully you will find a good one as well.

• Like 1

@Vineyard View I suggest you take a multi-outlet adapter, which can either be part of or in addition to an extension cord. I seem to recall that last time we were on Quest, I plugged in an extension cord across the room and ran it across to near the bed for my wife's CPAP machine. It could be a simple, under-$10 extension cord like this or and under-$20 one which has USB ports as well as power ports like this.  

image.thumb.png.fb29bc589ff661211c146788e99ea205.pngimage.thumb.png.41c31d760c8144df8ed4da8904cf5492.png

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Cruiseej this is really valuable information. I honestly thought there would be outlets by the bed, and hadn’t considered that we would need an extension cord. Thank you 

Cruiseej's post rings a bell! I remebered searching for US outlets for the adaptor for my laptop and even considered unplugging the TV because that US plug was closest to the table. Then I found a CC post that says that there is another US outlet hidden behind the wet bar. A Google search found the thread.

From reading the thread again, there seems to be some variation in configurations. The posts seem to imply that there is at least one US outlet, but none at the bedside.

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Cruiseej this is really valuable information. I honestly thought there would be outlets by the bed, and hadn’t considered that we would need an extension cord. Thank you 

44 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. That is truly a pain for cpap users but if we have an adapter We should be okay if there is an outlet next to the bed even if not,US?

On the Encore there are USB and plug outlets by the bed both sides.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Okay. That makes sense. I am only concerned with having an outlet for a cpap machine and separate one for phones and iPads. Not packing hair dryer and hoping not to regret that! 

There is an outlet by the bed that you can use for the CPAP, but it does need an adapter for US plugs.  We asked our cabin attendant and she got it for us right away.  Now I just remember to pack one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CalmSea said:

Cruiseej's post rings a bell! I remebered searching for US outlets for the adaptor for my laptop and even considered unplugging the TV because that US plug was closest to the table. Then I found a CC post that says that there is another US outlet hidden behind the wet bar. A Google search found the thread.

From reading the thread again, there seems to be some variation in configurations. The posts seem to imply that there is at least one US outlet, but none at the bedside.

Thank you for the link. It was helpful. 
Between us, aside from the cpap, we need different USB sizes,  but all this information is really helping  me narrow down the most efficient way to bring the fewest devices for both ship and land. 

Two items:

First - here's an excellent website that show the outlets and the corresponding plugs, plus what other plugs can be used with those outlets:

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Second - I am not a fan of "adapters" that have USB output.  I find it far better to have a simple plug adapter, and then connect a dedicated charger.  I travel with two chargers -- one is a charger that has five USB A outlets, for low draw devices and those that I can use an A to whatever cable.  The second is a high-power charger that has two 18w A outlets and two 100w C outlets.

By bringing your own charger, you are in control of what the power supply is to your devices.  Many of the "wall USB" outlets found in hotels and ships are low-power, and are highly ineffective in getting peak charging performance for your devices.  The hotel/ship doesn't label the outlet with the power being provided, and no one at the desk knows the answer either.

Good chargers weigh less than 8 ounces, so they are not a burden in your suitcase.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Two items:

First - here's an excellent website that show the outlets and the corresponding plugs, plus what other plugs can be used with those outlets:

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Second - I am not a fan of "adapters" that have USB output.  I find it far better to have a simple plug adapter, and then connect a dedicated charger.  I travel with two chargers -- one is a charger that has five USB A outlets, for low draw devices and those that I can use an A to whatever cable.  The second is a high-power charger that has two 18w A outlets and two 100w C outlets.

By bringing your own charger, you are in control of what the power supply is to your devices.  Many of the "wall USB" outlets found in hotels and ships are low-power, and are highly ineffective in getting peak charging performance for your devices.  The hotel/ship doesn't label the outlet with the power being provided, and no one at the desk knows the answer either.

Good chargers weigh less than 8 ounces, so they are not a burden in your suitcase.

Thanks for the info

which “good chargers” do you recommend?

I am sailing on the odyssey for the first time and not sure about what outlets are offered and don’t need a bad surprise

TIA,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp