Tipping taxi and longshoremen Fort Lauderdale

spearmint

I never seem to get this correct.  What is the standard for tipping a taxi driver from  the hotel to pier or from pier to airport, or to longshoremen at the pier or the  driver of a shuttle of some sort?

When last I did this, 6 years ago, the taxis had made a change; regardless of  the meter showing (e.g. literally $5, from hotel to pier) the drivers charged $10.  I was not happy, but CC members assured me that this was what the drivers had all agree to do and was standard practice. I expect that it had to do with such short hops from hotel to pier in many/most cases.  Frankly, I considered this a 100% tip.  Is this still the modus operandi?  If not, what is the expected tipping norm which will also apply to my next question.

In some cases we signed up with the cruiseline for transportation (bus) from the pier to the airport.   I think this is very reliable with no worry/hassle, but much more costly than a taxi, so I am thinking taxi, which would be more than $10 and require standard tipping  practice. What do I tip?  (Have any of you used the taxi vs shuttle from the cruiseline, and your opinion, please?)

On our first cruise, (1999) I was so naive.  I was not provided with a stateroom number due to what was then called "run of the ship" cabins, and the gentleman taking the luggage from my prepaid-at-home Celebrity shuttle directly from the airport and with no luggage tags, took the trouble to go into Pier 18 (prior to remodeling) and came back with the proper cabin number.  Being assured at home that all was prepaid, and so with only Canadian cash, the poor guy "didn't know what he would do with it" when I offered him a couple of bucks. I felt so stupid and  I never forgot him, but since (becoming savvy and arriving prior to the sail date!) have rarely ever had to turn over luggage at the port (usually the hotel shuttle did it).  So I really want to tip properly if I am the one to give the luggage.  Then there could  be a shuttle driver from either the expensive Cruise line, or the included hotel shuttle.  What do folks do?

Long winded question(s) but I am sure that things have changed and I want to be up to date.  e.g. ship gratuities have gone from $11 per person/day to $17.50.

Which brings up my last question regarding the cash question.   Do all taxis have the ability to take charge cards? I am thinking, yes.  But what about shuttle drivers from (a) the cruisline or (b) the hotel?  I always presumed that with the exorbitant Cruiseline cost that tip was included, but not with the hotel shuttle, so I did tip them based on the number of bags they moved, but what would that be now?

(oh, and yes, I tried to find this stuff out on the general boards with no success.)

Bill

I usually just round up  for the taxi  

last time  2019 from hotel to port if was $11 so gave him $15

porters  a $1 or 2  per bag

Cannot remember  from port to FLL I think it was $15  so gave them  a 20

If you use UBER  you could do that  then you know the cost upfront

Personal choice

We tip taxis and porters like LHT28 does. For shuttle drivers, a couple of dollars. We always get US $ before leaving home, and make sure to have plenty of small denomination bills for tips and small purchases (for Caribbean cruises).

The taxi drivers in Fort Lauderdale are notorious for over-charging.  Max you should pay is $20 from FLL-PEV/PEV-FLL, including tip.  They’ll tell you $25 (or more) so if you choose to go with that price, don’t tip.

Shuttle driver gets $2-$5, depending on how many bags and people in your party.  Shuttle drivers are best for getting from your hotel to the ship because they have a special lane for entry to the port and are reasonably priced.  All other vehicles (taxis, Uber, Lyft) have to wait in the regular line and you will need to have your ID and boarding pass handy.  (With the shuttle, you don’t have to stop and show ID because the onus is on your driver to take care of this.)

The longshoremen are another matter.  If you feel the need then you can give them a dollar or two.  Otherwise, they are just grabbing your luggage, loading it onto a cart, and racking up well-paid overtime.  The ship’s crew do more handling of the luggage than the longshoremen do.

9 hours ago, spearmint said:

When last I did this, 6 years ago, the taxis had made a change; regardless of  the meter showing (e.g. literally $5, from hotel to pier) the drivers charged $10.  I was not happy, but CC members assured me that this was what the drivers had all agree to do and was standard practice.

As a passenger, I have agreed to the standard practice of paying the amount on the meter. Anyone who had the gall to demand $10 when the meter said $5 would get $5 and no tip.

Something tells me that those drivers wouldn't ask for $10 if the meter said $50.

I have always hated the way the longshoremen at Port Everglades have their hands out, expecting money for moving your bags a couple of feet.  Very annoying but in the past we have gone along with the norm of tipping a dollar or two per bag.  One of the most civilized ports we have come across is Southampton, UK where they take your bags and thank you for coming.  Very refreshing!

Barb

2 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I have always hated the way the longshoremen at Port Everglades have their hands out, expecting money for moving your bags a couple of feet.  Very annoying but in the past we have gone along with the norm of tipping a dollar or two per bag.  One of the most civilized ports we have come across is Southampton, UK where they take your bags and thank you for coming.  Very refreshing!

Barb

While I'm not a fan of tipping well paid longshoremen for doing their jobs, they do much more than move bags a couple of feet.

That's true of their job in general but at portside, they take your bags from the trunk of the car and put them onto a trolley that will deliver the bags into the ship.  That trolley is no more than two to three feet from where they were taken from your vehicle or taxi.  And their hands are out!  They get very grumpy if you try to deal with your bags by yourself.

Barb

• Like 1