Passenger #2 no-show...does this sound right?

Pluto_fan

We have two cabins booked for our upcoming cruise on the Sapphire Princess, one for hubby and me and the other for our three kids (two young adults and a 15-year-old).  The kids' cabin was booked under a "third passenger free" promotion, and passengers 1 and 2 have the Plus package.  We are paid in full.

Good news/bad news, passenger 2 is starting a new job 😃 and will (almost certainly) not be able to join us :classic_sad:.  I asked my TA whether we should cancel her as soon as we know for certain, or simply have her not show up to board.  TA says he spoke to Princess and they've advised that if she is a no-show, passenger 3 will automatically fall into the second passenger position in order to receive the Princess Plus perks, and taxes for the third passenger would be refunded at the end of the voyage.  Since I've read here that Princess phone reps are not always consistent and/or correct...does this sound right to you?  It seems like it should be, but I wanted to sanity check with the experts.  I'm a planner and don't like the thought of leaving it to the last minute as we're boarding to go through the explanation.  Thanks!

That's the way I understand it with a "free berth".  In a way, its a nice form of insurance in that you aren't paying a cancellation fee on a third passenger.  Depending on how much you imbide, Princess Plus may not be a great deal for everyone, and its pretty lousy for children who get no discount even though they won't be served alcohol.  However, taking Princess plus off of the reservation for both 1 & 2 may trigger a refare and cause cancellation fees, so probably best to leave as is.

For the TLDR folks: My understanding is the same as OP and the agent they spoke to.

Passenger 3 would move up to passenger 2.  If not, passenger one wouldn't be able to get Plus/Premier.  People would be using this loophole all the time and having a third passenger conveniently cancel.  The no-show third passenger would be refunded port taxes and fees.

Edited by startedwithamouse

21 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it depends on if you have insurance and what type of insurance you have.

Not in this case I believe.  I think it is as simple as stated above.  #3 replaces #2 and no monies lost since #3 didn't pay anything in the first place, other than port taxes which are refundable without insurance.

IDK if there is any loss to do it now, but I think I would first step have Princess swap #2 and #3.  After this is completed, then I would drop #3, or do a no-show.

Edited by Steelers36