My mini-review of Koningsdam post dry dock

luv2cruzuk

51 minutes ago, Coyote Chris said:

What the heck did they do to the Crow's nest????? 😞

Please tell me they replaced all those torn cracked chairs in the Lido?????

In my senility, I did not see a link to the next food vid.

The food video is being edited right now. If you subscribe to my YouTube channel you'll get a notification when I've published it. 

You can subscribe here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQzoKbrqz2yvcq_-aSn-Fqw?sub_confirmation=1

With regard to the chairs. The lido market green stools are the same ones but the fabric has been replaced (with the same) on the ones with cracked fabric. This was done after the video I posted in the OP was published. 

Edited by luv2cruzuk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brewgirl1 said:

Did they get rid of the Blend and put in a small bar?

Sorry I’m not sure what blend is - there is a separate coffee shop and bar in the crows nest. You can see the coffee shop which is opposite the new shore excursions desk in my video. 

1 minute ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Sorry I’m not sure what blend is - there is a separate coffee shop and bar in the crows nest. You can see the coffee shop which is opposite the new shore excursions desk in my video. 

Good hopefully it's gone. It was wasted space to me.  You could blend your own wine there. It seemed seldom used. Are you still on the ship? Friends are on that cruise and they are not home yet.  Reason I ask is because the internet must be way better now with starlink.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Good hopefully it's gone. It was wasted space to me.  You could blend your own wine there. It seemed seldom used. Are you still on the ship? Friends are on that cruise and they are not home yet.  Reason I ask is because the internet must be way better now with starlink.

Yes, still on the cruise. We disembark 1st May. The internet has been excellent. It really is like you are using Wi-Fi at a land based hotel. 

I remember the days when you used to pay by the minute for internet on cruise ships - I used to connect - quickly update my emails then disconnect. Progress for sure. 

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your video review.  Your inside room is lovely and I see that’s the next review.  Looking forward to seeing it!

- I agree that boarding at Vancouver can be a nightmare.  Security and the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) process slows things down considerably but this is a port issue and not something any of the cruise lines can control.  I really hope the authorities see your comments and are in a position to make some changes.

- The architecture and art of the Koningsdam focused on the movement and flow of music and dance.  The atrium represents the synthesis of a string quartet and is titled Harps.  I feel the artist(s) have captured this theme in a stunning way, although I appreciate that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

- I truly dislike what they’ve done to the Crow’s Nest.  What a mess!  If they are trying to appeal to The People of Walmart then they are heading in the right direction.

The lack of cleaning you noticed in the public areas is definitely not up to Holland America standards.  I find this very disappointing.  The very noticeable wear and tear on the soft furnishings is shocking.  I would have pulled those stools until they’d been repaired.  How embarrassing.

- With regard to formal wear, I think you’d enjoy one of the cruises where @The-Inside-Cabin has his Tuxedo Junction get-togethers.  I’ve also noticed where the North American itineraries are far less formal than the European itineraries.  Having said that, however, the standards on my October Med cruise had very much sunk to a new low.  Hopefully the Tuxedo Junction initiative raises the bar once again!

Overall, I thought your video review was clear and concise, with great videography.  I look forward to viewing your next installments!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for sharing your video review.  Your inside room is lovely and I see that’s the next review.  Looking forward to seeing it!

- I agree that boarding at Vancouver can be a nightmare.  Security and the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) process slows things down considerably but this is a port issue and not something any of the cruise lines can control.  I really hope the authorities see your comments and are in a position to make some changes.

- The architecture and art of the Koningsdam focused on the movement and flow of music and dance.  The atrium represents the synthesis of a string quartet and is titled Harps.  I feel the artist(s) have captured this theme in a stunning way, although I appreciate that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

- I truly dislike what they’ve done to the Crow’s Nest.  What a mess!  If they are trying to appeal to The People of Walmart then they are heading in the right direction.

The lack of cleaning you noticed in the public areas is definitely not up to Holland America standards.  I find this very disappointing.  The very noticeable wear and tear on the soft furnishings is shocking.  I would have pulled those stools until they’d been repaired.  How embarrassing.

- With regard to formal wear, I think you’d enjoy one of the cruises where @The-Inside-Cabin has his Tuxedo Junction get-togethers.  I’ve also noticed where the North American itineraries are far less formal than the European itineraries.  Having said that, however, the standards on my October Med cruise had very much sunk to a new low.  Hopefully the Tuxedo Junction initiative raises the bar once again!

Overall, I thought your video review was clear and concise, with great videography.  I look forward to viewing your next installments!

Thanks for your comments. 

i was very interested to read your comment about the theme for the atrium. This makes sense. I more recently noticed that the spotlights that are meant to light up the “harps” are permanently turned off. I think if these were turned back on it would make a

big difference as lighting can help improve the aesthetic of the atrium. 

P.S The inside cabin review is now live…

Edited by luv2cruzuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, luv2cruzuk said:

The food video is being edited right now. If you subscribe to my YouTube channel you'll get a notification when I've published it. 

You can subscribe here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQzoKbrqz2yvcq_-aSn-Fqw?sub_confirmation=1

With regard to the chairs. The lido market green stools are the same ones but the fabric has been replaced (with the same) on the ones with cracked fabric. This was done after the video I posted in the OP was published. 

Thanks!  I will. Did you sail out of Vancouver?  I have had terrible experiences at the airport and the cruise terminal there. Never had a bad experience out of San Diego.

1 hour ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Yes, still on the cruise. We disembark 1st May. The internet has been excellent. It really is like you are using Wi-Fi at a land based hotel. 

I remember the days when you used to pay by the minute for internet on cruise ships - I used to connect - quickly update my emails then disconnect. Progress for sure. 

That's great news!  It was terrible when I was on the koningsdam in November.  I remember the by the minute.  I was just saying that recently to a crew member. It sucked.  Enjoy yhe last bit of your cruise.

Enjoyed the video.  One point I will disagree with is your thought that the ship should be spic and span after coming from dry dock.  I have the complete opposite thought.  Never book the cruise right after a ship leaves dry dock and there is a very good chance that they will be still working on it if they couldn't complete everything during dry dock.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It's more like an airport with pre-clearance.  Oh boy, that bad, eh?  When the ship sails away from Vancouver, the first port of call is in the USA so you have to clear US Customs and Immigration before boarding in Vancouver  So when you get to Juneau, you can just hop off.

We sail the Koningsdam on 10th June.  Majestic Princess is also in port that day so this could be, emm.., interesting.  Could be worse - there are days where Vancouver has four ships on turnaround.

4 hours ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Hi, I haven’t even seen a library onboard. There’s a few shelves in the crows nest with paperback books on, but other than that, I’ve not seen a library.

I believe the new library is supposed to go in the old Microsoft room.  Since you're still on the ship...can you give us a report and photos?  It's on deck 2 forward.  Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We stopped traveling since the pandemic. I had embarked from Vancouver before and had very good experience back then. 

Can anyone tell more about the recent nightmare?

Would having a Nexus card help?

Would filling out that VeriFly help or even be necessary?

Is there anything we passengers can do to make the process faster?

50 minutes ago, CH_ca said:

We stopped traveling since the pandemic. I had embarked from Vancouver before and had very good experience back then. 

The US CBP were not allowing NEXUS or GE card holders expedited entry.  Everyone had to get to the back of the long snaking regular line.  The only time NEXUS came in handy was when the e-entry machine rejected me to the World line for secondary review.  After having stood forever in the regular line, then faced with having to join the end of the World line (non-US/Canada passport holders) I stepped out of line and begged for mercy to the roaming CBP Officer.  He directed us to the handicap line since there was only one person in it.

WRT VeriFLY, I’ve read where some found that pretty quick but when we went through (last September) the VeriFLY line was longer than the Suites/4*/5* line so that’s the one we chose.

As to whether there is anything you can do… I would keep an eye on the boards for reports of best arrival time where the lines are minimal.  My “guess” would be an early or a late arrival.  (Although with early there’s going to be a wait until embarkation starts, but at least you’d have a seat for most of the time.) Good luck!

1 hour ago, CH_ca said:

This was my 16th cruise since the restart. I hope I didn’t put you off. It’s all quite normal, just this one occasion it was bad. I have read lots about delays with the whole process in Vancouver.

I think on this occasion, it was simply all the passengers arriving at once, rather than their allotted time.

I hope you get back cruising again very soon. It’s still the best way to see the world! (In my opinion!) David

• Like 1

Thanks for your review. But one clarification - you said in the review that bottled waters are not included in the beverage package. Actually 12 ounce cans of water are included in the beverage package, but neither 16 ounce aluminum cans of water of 1 liter glass bottles of water like those shown in your video are included. HAL does not have plastic bottles of water. 

I would love to see pictures of the Club Orange dining room after the drydock, as I am wondering if they moved the door to the center of the room like on the Rotterdam, or if any other changes were made since we last sailed on the K in February-March. Would you mind posting any pictures of that room, if you have any? Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I believe the new library is supposed to go in the old Microsoft room.  Since you're still on the ship...can you give us a report and photos?  It's on deck 2 forward.  Thanks so much!

The library has been blanked out on the deck plan. See photo, and the doors are locked right now. See additional photo. 

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CafeBruno said:

Thanks for your review. But one clarification - you said in the review that bottled waters are not included in the beverage package. Actually 12 ounce cans of water are included in the beverage package, but neither 16 ounce aluminum cans of water of 1 liter glass bottles of water like those shown in your video are included. HAL does not have plastic bottles of water. 

I would love to see pictures of the Club Orange dining room after the drydock, as I am wondering if they moved the door to the center of the room like on the Rotterdam, or if any other changes were made since we last sailed on the K in February-March. Would you mind posting any pictures of that room, if you have any? Thanks!

Club orange dining room photos as requested 

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the very informative video! We were on the sailing before the dry dock. Those Lido chairs were embarrassing. I can't believe they weren't replaced.

Our embarkation at San Diego was also horrible, so clearly this is not isolated to just Vancouver. I get tired of people blaming the "port authorities".  HAL has to take responsibility for making it better!

Can't wait to see more of your videos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

Thank you for the very informative video! We were on the sailing before the dry dock. Those Lido chairs were embarrassing. I can't believe they weren't replaced.

Our embarkation at San Diego was also horrible, so clearly this is not isolated to just Vancouver. I get tired of people blaming the "port authorities".  HAL has to take responsibility for making it better!

Can't wait to see more of your videos!

Thank you. 

I did speak to a port worker and she advised that HAL weren’t policing arrival times and lots of people arrived early which made lines much worse. We were the only ship boarding and as the ship was coming from dry dock there were no disembarking passengers. 

Edited by luv2cruzuk

59 minutes ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Thank you. 

I did speak to a port worker and she advised that HAL weren’t policing arrival times and lots of people arrived early which made lines much worse. We were the only ship boarding and as the ship was coming from dry dock there were no disembarking passengers. 

Did you happen to inquire as to why the terminal staff weren’t “policing arrival times”?  (This is not a snarky question; I am truly curious.)

Our check-in time was 10:00am and the place was swamped.  Suites/4*/5*/Club Orange all have priority check-in so that would impact assigned check-in times.  Likewise, those arriving via HAL transfers wouldn’t have any say in what time they were delivered to the port. 

I guess you could say there are a multitude of reasons as to how check-in times are impacted, including those who don’t “self-police”.  I have not been retained to find a solution so do not have a grasp on where all the speed bumps lie.  It seems to me that passing the buck may take the heat off one person but it does a disservice to all, no matter who’s passing it.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:54 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

@OlsSaltthis cruise left from Vancouver.

to the op it sounds like you were assigned one person in the cabana.  Usually its a group of guys.  I'd love to be assigned just one.  Hopefully it's not one that is getting every morsel of food for everyone.  I'm very low maintenance.  I never ask them to get me food.  I just want my water iced which rarely happens because they spend hours and hours fetching food.

Sorry, they were probably getting my food! 🤣