Why would (or wouldn't) you choose HAL for Alaska?

bundtkate

On 5/1/2023 at 12:59 AM, bundtkate said:

I think because we're getting it in lieu of a balcony cabin, we'll be okay. Way I see it, if it's too cold for the Retreat, I wasted $400. If it's too cold to sit on my balcony, I wasted a lot more.

One thing to think about:  in Alaska, a lot of the cruising is about the scenery AND wildlife. If you have a good naturalist onboard during the Inside Passage, they will often alert you to things like whales, bears, etc. that are viewable from the ship. If you have a balcony and are in your cabin, you can get to the outside very quickly and see them. If you're in your cabin and have to get to somewhere else, you may miss it....

I don't think anyone has mentioned onboard lectures/naturalist, but I will say that the one I had on Princess was probably one of the best ever. He's written books about his experiences in Alaska and all of his lectures were not just standing room only but "close the doors we can't let anyone else in" full.

HAL and Princess have both been in Alaska for 50 years or more. (I think HAL is at 70 years....)  Long enough that they both have preferential treatment over many other lines. My first cruise to Alaska was in 1977 (!) on one of the Sitmar ships that later became part of Princess. It was very different then!

11 hours ago, BeachBum47 said:

I love the history of Holland America and I just love the Dutch theme on the ships. I am going on my 3rd HAL cruise to Alaska on Saturday.

I will board Koningsdam for my first cruise ever on Saturday. I too am looking forward to the Dutch factor. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you have a balcony and are in your cabin, you can get to the outside very quickly and see them. If you're in your cabin and have to get to somewhere else, you may miss it....

Honest, we're rarely in our cabin unless we're sleeping or not yet ready to face the day so I don't foresee this being a huge issue for us. Then again, I suppose one could step out onto the balcony in one's PJs so perhaps a small sacrifice. I'm hoping to snag an inside on deck 11 forward. Since The Retreat is deck 12 forward, we'd only be a quick scuttle up the stairs from our viewing area and for the moment we're still young enough we'd make it quickly hopefully mitigating that risk somewhat.

4 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

Honest, we're rarely in our cabin unless we're sleeping or not yet ready to face the day so I don't foresee this being a huge issue for us. Then again, I suppose one could step out onto the balcony in one's PJs so perhaps a small sacrifice. I'm hoping to snag an inside on deck 11 forward. Since The Retreat is deck 12 forward, we'd only be a quick scuttle up the stairs from our viewing area and for the moment we're still young enough we'd make it quickly hopefully mitigating that risk somewhat.

I sailed the Zuiderdam last year in an inside on deck 10. Step one way I was in the Crow’s nest - the largest interior view from the ship with a coffee bar/bar to cozy up to.  Step the other way I was on the sports deck where you can cross from side to side to spot wildlife.  Both are great places to view wildlife.  Though they are never crowded there are usually a lot of eyes spotting for wildlife. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Step one way I was in the Crow’s nest ... Step the other way I was on the sports deck where you can cross from side to side to spot wildlife.

In theory, I think we should be in a similar situation. The cabins on 11 forward are right beside a staircase. When you go up to 12, Crow's Nest is one step forward while The Retreat is one step towards the aft. Back down on 11, you can walk aft to get to the sports court. Down just one more level and you're on the Lido. It really seems like a perfect location. There could be some noise since there aren't cabins above, but we just sailed on NCL Joy right below the Observation Lounge (NCL's massive version of the Crow's Nest) without hearing a peep so I have faith all will be well.

2 hours ago, bundtkate said:

Bring rain gear and a sturdy umbrella - much of the Retreat Cabana area is exposed to the elements. Just the side units are covered and enclosed. Rain and wind splashing into your cabana when you try to open the heavy curtains will limit the cabana viewing enjoyment too.

Your Cabana steward will need to brave those same elements too crossing the open deck areas to serve your cabana ...if/when it rains in Alaska. Be prepared. 

18 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Bring rain gear and a sturdy umbrella - much of the Retreat Cabana area is exposed to the elements. Just the side units are covered and enclosed. Rain and wind splashing into your cabana when you try to open the heavy curtains will limit the cabana viewing enjoyment too.

Your Cabana steward will need to brave those same elements too crossing the open deck areas to serve your cabana ...if/when it rains in Alaska. Be prepared. 

^ This. Of course, your ability to use and enjoy your cabana could be dependent on when you cruise. May is the driest month in Alaska, worth considering as is the option of Lowest Category Balcony+Club Orange which includes an upgrade to best available balcony(on the Koningsdam, this could mean a Cat VB with a large balcony on Deck 4).. on most of our five Alaska sailings on HAL, the Category VH balconies - the lowest category - were not much more than an inside.

There is nothing quite like stepping out on your balcony in the morning with your room service coffee, or stepping out at night to enjoy the Midnight sun before bed. That said, your idea of choosing a well-located Inside with quick access to the Crow's Nest and outside deck is a good alternative!

2 hours ago, cattman said:

Of course, your ability to use and enjoy your cabana could be dependent on when you cruise. May is the driest month in Alaska

We're planning very early June. The idea was to balance weather concerns where hopefully it's a bit warmer than May but still relatively dry. I know there's risk always, but we're hoping that timing minimizes it. We also did consider Club Orange as a means of getting an upgrade, but the difference between inside + The Retreat and lowest balcony + CO was about $1500. Given the cost of excursions in Alaska it feels worthwhile to save that money and spend it on experiences, but we'll see. If we change our minds we can always upgrade later.

13 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

Given the cost of excursions in Alaska it feels worthwhile to save that money and spend it on experiences, but we'll see. If we change our minds we can always upgrade later.

I think your idea of focusing on excursions is great. We splurged for our cruise last September; some of the decisions made us hesitate when booking, but we were very, very happy about each of our excursions! Even if you decide to upgrade, don't let that reduce your excursion budget!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bundtkate said:

We're planning very early June. The idea was to balance weather concerns where hopefully it's a bit warmer than May but still relatively dry. I know there's risk always, but we're hoping that timing minimizes it. We also did consider Club Orange as a means of getting an upgrade, but the difference between inside + The Retreat and lowest balcony + CO was about $1500. Given the cost of excursions in Alaska it feels worthwhile to save that money and spend it on experiences, but we'll see. If we change our minds we can always upgrade later.

Sounds good!