Why would (or wouldn't) you choose HAL for Alaska?

bundtkate

Hey, all! I am currently looking to book Alaska for next year and am (perhaps predictably) finding myself torn between HAL and Princess. I don't know either line well and feel like most "professional" reviews do a relatively poor job of differentiating, largely concluding that you can't go wrong either way. I'm sure that's true, but it's not helping my decision paralysis so I thought I'd pop here and ask the folks who choose HAL regularly.

For some context, my husband and I are in our mid-late 30s and normally RCI and MSC cruisers with a strong preference for the newer ships. We appreciate a modern look, lots of variety in activities, and plenty of spots to hang out with a drink and/or a snack, but we won't miss water slides or Broadway shows. On an Oasis class ship, you'll normally find us in Central Park with a cocktail or in Playmakers with a hotdog catching a hockey game. I know that HAL is more traditional looking and tends to have smaller ships which is fine. We chose to look at HAL and Princess because of their reputation for doing Alaska well which is more important to us than the ship.

We prefer a more casual cruise in general, but enjoy dressing up for formal night in the MDR. Food is important to us, though I don't think we're that picky. I've only been on one cruise (NCL Joy this past December) where I genuinely hated the MDR food. Still, decent included food is important to us as we prefer to spend our money on excursions and activities in port and rarely pony up for specialty dining. We also tend to grab a drink package because it allows us to try new wines and cocktails without breaking the bank. We're beer folk on land so we appreciate knowledgeable bartenders and servers that can suggest the right wine since we have no idea what we're doing. We also love a wine tasting and have attended one on near every cruise we've taken.

Finally, we value high quality ship-sponsored excursions. I know they can be pricier, but we've had some pretty bum luck even with reputable third-party tours and I've reached a point where I'm just done chancing it. We've reached a point in life where we have the means to pay for convenience and predictability and it provides enough peace of mind on vacation to be worth it.

So, what do y'all think HAL cruisers? Does HAL sound like a good fit for us? Better than Princess? What keeps you coming back to HAL? Anything pushing you away? If I can answer more questions to help, too, don't hesitate to ask. And if any of y'all are ever considering RCI or MSC, I'll be happy to return the favor with thoughts of my own.

I have done both.  The HAL cruise will be much more laid back with fewer families and children.  The average Princess ship is larger than the average HAL ship.

If you want night life it is Princess hands down.

I found Princess had a greater quantity of active excursions.

If you go to Alaska in high season ship excursions are a good option as the lines seem to buy up all the available space on popular excursions 

I prefer HAL.  I like a quieter atmosphere and I like their dining service and food much better.  

If you are going to do an extension tour with the cruise line HAL has more options.  Of course Princess has more lodges and you can buy those separately 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

I would choose HAL over Princess because the standard balcony cabin on Princess only has one chair in the cabin to sit on, no loveseat.  When we ordered room service breakfast I had to drag a chair from the balcony into the room.

7 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I would choose HAL over Princess because the standard balcony cabin on Princess only has one chair in the cabin to sit on, no loveseat.  When we ordered room service breakfast I had to drag a chair from the balcony into the room.

That would do it for me. 

Alaska is more of a destination cruise rather nightlife cruise. It is true that ships that have cruised their longer get better itineraries and excursions. There will be lectures and experts on board to maximize your experience. If nightlife is what you want Princess may work better. It just depends on what you are looking for. I did Princess in Alaska with my 90 yo father who stayed up later than I did. The verandah was small but we had two opened up with each other that made it better. Have fun I loved the Alaska cruise. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! I probably wouldn't miss anything about the nightlife so that's no big. We are night owls, but our nightlife is finding a venue with music we enjoy and sitting down with a beer. We've been happy with a guitarist doing 90s rock covers, a jazz band, a dude in Central Park just noodling on a classical guitar with no vocals ... we're pretty eclectic. And, heck, I know some HAL ships have a pretty strong focus on musical performances so maybe that's a point in HAL's favor.

How is the late night dining on HAL, btw? On RCI and MSC both the pizza is available late so we'd often grab a slice or two after the pub closed down and we were heading back to our stateroom. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker if nothing is available late, but definite a nice plus for us.

If you go knowing the entertainment may be minimal, HAL is the one I'd recommend, mainly for smaller ships and better service.

But more than anything, I would compare itineraries. One or two glacier viewing days? is there a port with good whale watching? (Juneau or Icy Straight Point) Do you want to go to Skagway to take the train trip? (Skagway has dock problems and will probably take fewer ships). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bundtkate said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! I probably wouldn't miss anything about the nightlife so that's no big. We are night owls, but our nightlife is finding a venue with music we enjoy and sitting down with a beer. We've been happy with a guitarist doing 90s rock covers, a jazz band, a dude in Central Park just noodling on a classical guitar with no vocals ... we're pretty eclectic. And, heck, I know some HAL ships have a pretty strong focus on musical performances so maybe that's a point in HAL's favor.

How is the late night dining on HAL, btw? On RCI and MSC both the pizza is available late so we'd often grab a slice or two after the pub closed down and we were heading back to our stateroom. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker if nothing is available late, but definite a nice plus for us.

HAL rolls up the sidewalk, so to speak, around 11PM. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I would choose HAL over Princess because the standard balcony cabin on Princess only has one chair in the cabin to sit on, no loveseat.

Hey, that's a fair enough reason. Honest, the most I use the loveseat for is to store our backpacks while we're not ashore so I probably wouldn't miss it, but one thing that is giving HAL a leg up on accommodations? No shower curtains. It feels petty, but OMG I HATE THEM, Y'ALL! Princess seems to have shower curtains across the board and while it won't stop me from sailing with them, it's definitely one for the con column.

3 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

There is a late night buffet but I think it ends at 10:30. Room service is free, 24 hours.  There are paid options on room service  but plenty of snacks delivered for free 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But more than anything, I would compare itineraries.

This is where I started, actually, and the offerings are close enough that I could find something I'm happy with on either line. My main "must have" was Glacier Bay, of course, and both have solid options that meet that requirement.

• Like 2

In my experience (8 Alaska cruises on HAL), HAL seems to get the preferred dock locations.  I have heard that this is due to HAL having more seniority in Alaska than the other lines, but I cannot say for certain that this is the case.  I can say that our dock locations have been very good, which I really appreciate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bundtkate said:

A newer HAL ship like the Koningsdam would fit your likes to a T. Rolling Stone Rock room with lots of 80s and 90s covers, and pizza and wings available until 11 pm. Also more accessible outside viewing areas and as mentioned, generally better dock locations, esp. in Juneau and Ketchikan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

And this is why we chose HAL over Princess for our upcoming Alaska trip. Princess actually removed the barrel chairs from their standard balcony cabins a couple years ago. 
I was fine with Princess until they did that but  removing the chair was a deal breaker. At 69 y/o I need a place to sit comfortably.
This will be our first HAL cruise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

generally better dock locations, esp. in Juneau and Ketchikan.

I have heard this quite a bit. What makes HAL's locations better, exactly? This can definitely matter. For example, MSC's docking location in Cozumel is farther away from everything when compared with RCI's so we have to budget an extra $5-10 for taxis on MSC.

10 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

I have heard this quite a bit. What makes HAL's locations better, exactly? This can definitely matter. For example, MSC's docking location in Cozumel is farther away from everything when compared with RCI's so we have to budget an extra $5-10 for taxis on MSC.

In Juneau for example, if you dock at AJ Dock you have to walk or take the tram much further into the main town area.

At  AS Dock you walk right off into the action!  It's just more convenient.  

image.thumb.png.ce40d7c7393d3007fe4409511d9b2682.png
Edited by oakridger

Pick Princess, so you can have the gorgeous HAL ships in the foreground of your killer  photo shots when you visit Glacier Bay. 🤭  (Tired old joke of mine, I know)

But honestly, I think you would prefer Princess ships for their more varied onboard life. Though HAL does Alaska best.

• Haha 2

HAL sails from Vancouver. I don't know where Princess sails from - Vancouver or Seattle. Vancouver is better since you spend your first and last day on the Inside Passage rather than in the open Pacific on the other side of Vancouver Island. You're smart to choose one that includes Glacier Bay. To me, that's the highlight not to be missed.

I did a Princess cruise to Alaska LONG ago and loved it. Then I did HAL to Alaska in 2012 and loved it, too. My teen daughter called it "The Nursing Home at Sea." Ha! We didn't care about that. The food was great and the ship was beautiful. 

23 minutes ago, sallywallygal said:

My teen daughter called it "The Nursing Home at Sea." Ha! We didn't care about that. The food was great and the ship was beautiful. 

On my 2 AK cruises last year, I saw more younger people and families than the "geriatric" crowd.  I guess I am part of that crowd at 67 1/2!!!!

15 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

On my 2 AK cruises last year, I saw more younger people and families than the "geriatric" crowd.  I guess I am part of that crowd at 67 1/2!!!!

On mine last year I didn’t see that many families but I saw a lot of young under 40s.  Under 40s accounted for at least 25 % which is phenomenal for a HAL sailing.  I was on the tour and I think the cruise I joined may have been a 7 day only and may account for a larger percentage of young people who have limited vacation time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Pick Princess, so you can have the gorgeous HAL ships in the foreground of your killer  photo shots when you visit Glacier Bay. 🤭  (Tired old joke of mine, I know)

But honestly, I think you would prefer Princess ships for their more varied onboard life. Though HAL does Alaska best.

That reminds me of the comment the captain of QE2 made when she did a tandem sail with QM2. He made a lot of jokes at QM2's expense, like QE2 could go faster than we are now, but QM2 can't keep up. His best comment was that the people on QM2 had the better view.

I was on QE in Alaska this June. I love Cunard, and that ship most of all. But I felt a twinge of longing when I saw Zuidy at Glacier Bay. 

L1970840.JPG

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

If the rock slide in Skagway continues to interfere with the dock for larger ships, choosing a smaller HAL ship could be an advantage.  Noordam gets to use the small-ship berth on my upcoming trip.

If two larger ships are scheduled for Skagway on the same day, they are time-sharing the dock below the rock slide.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tooleyweeds said:

If the rock slide in Skagway continues to interfere with the dock for larger ships, choosing a smaller HAL ship could be an advantage.

Interestingly, the itineraries we're looking at are almost identical. The one exception is that Princess stops in Victoria and only does the Inside Passage once because it departs from Seattle while HAL skips Victoria and does the Inside Passage in both directions because it departs from Vancouver. This means there will be 2 ships in Skagway when we're there no matter our choice -- HAL Konigsdam and Discovery Princess. Konigsdam is one of HAL's larger ships so I'm not sure if that would mean each only gets a half day?