Can you get last minute deals on Mexican Riviera cruises?

oregonn8v

Hello,

I am planning on sailing solo for the first time next year and cruising for the first time in many years. I am considering a couple of January cruises down the Mexican coast. One is a 7-night from Los Angeles (Discovery Princess) and the other is a 10-night from San Francisco (Crown Princess). Because I'm sailing alone, I am planning on an inside cabin. Wondering if it is a good idea to book now, or if I can get a better deal if I wait until closer to the sailing date. Right now I can get inside cabins (single occupancy) for $1,026 (7-night) and $1,671 (10-night).

Does Princess discount unsold cabins as a cruise approaches? When do the deals start? Am I just better off booking the cruise and cabin I want right now?

Thanks in advance.

Hard to predict the market since cruisers are returning in droves.  Drop & Go rates are published after the final payment date for a specific sailing has passed.  There is usually availability on cruises from California to the Mexican Riviera.  The only ones that are more than likely to sell out are those cruises that involve a holiday like Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oregonn8v said:

Hello,

I am planning on sailing solo for the first time next year and cruising for the first time in many years. I am considering a couple of January cruises down the Mexican coast. One is a 7-night from Los Angeles (Discovery Princess) and the other is a 10-night from San Francisco (Crown Princess). Because I'm sailing alone, I am planning on an inside cabin. Wondering if it is a good idea to book now, or if I can get a better deal if I wait until closer to the sailing date. Right now I can get inside cabins (single occupancy) for $1,026 (7-night) and $1,671 (10-night).

Does Princess discount unsold cabins as a cruise approaches? When do the deals start? Am I just better off booking the cruise and cabin I want right now?

Thanks in advance.

I just checked the Princess website and there is a deal on the January 20th Discovery for $418pp with $126 in taxes. That is the dual occupancy rate, but quite reasonable even when doubled.

The Crown is an older ship that has had a LOT of complaints recently.

The "deals" start whenever they get behind in bookings, and end whenever they catch up. 

If you are flexible as to exact dates, it almost always pays to wait until after final payment.

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 2

Final payment for both these sailings is in October. I do have a cabin reserved on the 10-day with a fully refundable $100 hold but thought I might get better prices if they are trying to fill cabins. 

I can pay for either cruise at their regular rate, and I don't want to sound cheap but if I can save a few hundred bucks, that pays for my flight, or part of a spa treatment. 

• Like 1

the only real answer someone can give you is "maybe"...last Jan my sissy & I booked a last minute 7-day Mex Riviera for less than 490pp which included taxes & insurance & we had 125 in OBC each...it was actually cheaper to book each of us as a single in our own balcony than to share one but we booked like a week before sailing & the ship was less than half full when we sailed...it depends on if you really want to sail & how much you care about location...there are deals, but will they be on the ship you want when you can go? & will you pay a bunch more for flights last minute so for me, I will save those things for unexpected surprises if they do show up...I do have a TA who is good about refaring for me so I usually buy early & then watch for price changes

• Like 1

Guest ldtr

sometimes yes, sometimes no. last year the Mexican cruise sold well. The early prices were as good as they got for most dates.

I've decided to book my cruise and select the stateroom I want. The deals are really good right now anyway that I think I would kick myself if prices went up. Including my airfare, I am paying less per day than I would to stay in any number of hotels at the beach near my home. And that is with no food.

• Like 1