Future cruise credit blues NCL

We have had a future cruise credit with Norwegian cruise line for some time when the cruise line cancelled out cruise at the beginning of the pandemic.Now we want to go on a cruise in september and use it, but the cruise line won't apply it, saying they will only apply it if we go before end of june.  Not only this but they say they won't refund the money either after the end of June.  How can a company take your money and not give it back, changing the rules all the time - their rules that is.

4 hours ago, Rastus xxx said:

We have had a future cruise credit with Norwegian cruise line for some time when the cruise line cancelled out cruise at the beginning of the pandemic.Now we want to go on a cruise in september and use it, but the cruise line won't apply it, saying they will only apply it if we go before end of june.  Not only this but they say they won't refund the money either after the end of June.  How can a company take your money and not give it back, changing the rules all the time - their rules that is.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  If you received Future Cruise Credit for a cruise cancelled during the Covid suspension of sailings, you should have received the option at the time of the cancellation of taking a 100% refund to your original form of payment, or alternately to receive FCC in the amount of 125% of the monies you had paid.  That FCC was issued with an expiration date of one year, although there have been many reports of NCL extending the expiration date for many when the pandemic continued to drag on longer.  In general, if you book and pay in full for a cruise prior to the expiration date of your FCC, the actual sailing date can be some time later.  That is not always the case, however, and it appears that your FCC requires the sailing date to occur before the expiration date.  As @ChiefMateJRK questioned, since you mentioned that you have held the credit since the beginning of the pandemic, March of 2020, is it possible that what you actually have is a Cruise Next Deposit?  Under some circumstances NCL has been known to extend the expiration date of those.  You may find that some of NCL's telephone representatives are more liberal in what accommodations or adjustments they are willing to make.  I would recommend calling NCL again.  Perhaps the next rep you speak with may be willing to stretch the date on your credit.

• Like 1

Some friends of ours wishing to go as well with the same issue have found different replies from different people, just as you have suggested.  While some people are intimidated by large companies and will simply roll over when confronted with "policy", that is not me.  There is a fundamental issue when a company you dealt with in good faith and with whom you expected good faith in return, suddenly tries to essentialy purloin the money you gave them.  It is ridiculous to expect us to go on any old cruise just because it sails before end of June.  if the cruise is booked and paid for, then surely it matters not when it  sails.  The point is one of honesty

4 minutes ago, Rastus xxx said:

Some friends of ours wishing to go as well with the same issue have found different replies from different people, just as you have suggested.  While some people are intimidated by large companies and will simply roll over when confronted with "policy", that is not me.  There is a fundamental issue when a company you dealt with in good faith and with whom you expected good faith in return, suddenly tries to essentialy purloin the money you gave them.  It is ridiculous to expect us to go on any old cruise just because it sails before end of June.  if the cruise is booked and paid for, then surely it matters not when it  sails.  The point is one of honesty

So, in the interest of "honesty," are you going to clarify what type of credit it is?  Both FCC and Cruise Next are totally voluntary and if a person agrees to accept or purchase either one, they are certainly bound by the terms in place at time of issue.  NCL has never changed the "rules" in either case.  If it is FCC, than you agreed to it in lieu of a full cash refund at the start of the pandemic, and it was clear that it had an expiration date.  Many accepted it.  I instead insisted on immediate cash refund.  I would have come out ahead if I took the FCC, but I didn't want to accept the risk.  Apparently you did and it has now come home to roost.  You get what you play for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So, in the interest of "honesty," are you going to clarify what type of credit it is?  Both FCC and Cruise Next are totally voluntary and if a person agrees to accept or purchase either one, they are certainly bound by the terms in place at time of issue.  NCL has never changed the "rules" in either case.  If it is FCC, than you agreed to it in lieu of a full cash refund at the start of the pandemic, and it was clear that it had an expiration date.  Many accepted it.  I instead insisted on immediate cash refund.  I would have come out ahead if I took the FCC, but I didn't want to accept the risk.  Apparently you did and it has now come home to roost.  You get what you play for.

Oh so now I was gambling?!!  It was a future cruise credit where a 25% premium was offered in return for leaving the money in. Certainly I was happy to have the premium but saw it as a legitimate quid pro quo in return for allowing NCL the use of my money while the industry got to grips with the pandemic.  No-one knew how long it would go on, or what would happen along the way or ultimately.  Now that Ncl is on level ground again I expect them to be - yes - Honest.  At this point I would be happy for a refund of the money without any premium , but even that is denied. If NCL had collapsed then I would have been philosophical about it.  but it hasn't.  Taking and refusing to refund money for a service that has never been provided is theft pure and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rastus xxx said:

Taking and refusing to refund money for a service that has never been provided is theft pure and simple. 

How is adhering to the terms and conditions  you accepted constitute theft?

You're the one attempting to 'steal' from the cruise line by insisting on changing the terms and condiditons you agreed to.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Rastus xxx said:

Were you ever quoted an expiration date for this credit? When you agreed to the credit, did you have to use it within a certain time limit when you agreed to the credit?

Honest question...when you agreed to take the FCC and were made aware that it had an expiration date...did you not interpret that as something the cruise line actually enforced? Was your expectation going in that if you didn't use the credit by the agreed-upon expiration date at the time of purchase, that you should simply be granted a request to use the credit for a cruise beyond that date? 

I’m confused, I thought you had a choice, accept the refund or take the credit + extra to use to book a cruise within a certain time frame (based on all of the posts here). I don’t think one could change their minds later.

I don't have all the information so I am somewhat making an assumption. I'm guessing your Future Cruise Credit are considered part of Norwegian's Peace of Mind program. On Norwegian's website, it is very clear that you must use and sail with this Future Cruise Credit no later than June 30, 2023. 

It sucks you didn't know this before, but unfortunately those are the program terms and conditions. Get yourself a five day cruise and enjoy before the credits expire if you don't have time for a longer cruise! 

image.png.e5413dfd71763dc3e304484d4da0620a.png

Here's the direct link: https://www.ncl.com/fcc

Be sure to check out that Future Cruise Credit Refund Request section as perhaps one of those conditions applies to you, so you can get your money back.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Presumably the FCC was shown on the OP's Latitudes account page (all of mine are), and that should show the date it expires.

For real? I am unable to see mine and my husband can't see his. I do see them on my travel agent account...I'm surprised, but that's great some people can view their Future Cruise Credits on their account!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

can you call and ask if the FCC can used to purchase Cruise Next Certiificates ?  If so, that will extend your time for a couple more years. 

CruiseNext are bought on board (unless buying from an individual), CruiseFirst can be bought when not on a cruise.

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

For real? I am unable to see mine and my husband can't see his. I do see them on my travel agent account...I'm surprised, but that's great some people can view their Future Cruise Credits on their account!

Yes, I'm able to see mine, and there's a "use by" date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, I'm able to see mine, and there's a "use by" date.

Oh the inconsistencies of NCL!!!

I have quite the sad MyNCL account. At least I know the Future Cruise Credit exists...just not where I can view it as a consumer.

image.png.88e42e2b4aae51e9fd8591f19e22b7e7.png

29 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Mine never showed up on My Latitudes account either.

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh the inconsistencies of NCL!!!

I have quite the sad MyNCL account. At least I know the Future Cruise Credit exists...just not where I can view it as a consumer.

image.png.88e42e2b4aae51e9fd8591f19e22b7e7.png

Don't feel bad, my wife and I had the same issue: I could see mine but not hers. Turns out NCL put both of them under my account only. But then again, prior to her creating a Latitudes account, NCL created dummy accounts for her and posted several CN's to them.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

CruiseNext are bought on board (unless buying from an individual), CruiseFirst can be bought when not on a cruise.

sorry, then ask NCl if your FCC can be used to purchase a cruise first certificate.

When this first came up, refund or credit, there were no time limits that I can recall expressed, just merely the incentive to leave the money in.  It made sense to leave the money in because we imagined the pandemic would eventually come right expecting more sooner than later and we would certainly travel again.  If I had any idea that NCL would eventually just pinch the money then I think virtually everyone who was offered the deal would take the refund.  This is where the whole thing gets insidious and needs to be brought to public attention