QV cabin 6050?

MrsPeel55

@PORT ROYAL Thanks!!! would be great to have a Cunard logo pen! 

Do the sewing kits also have Cunard logo?

We never leave our home for holidays without a first aid kit, sewing one and sun protection + insect repellent, I guess we wont need to take our sewing kit if we can request one, even though it isn't much impact on the weight, everything little helps! (we are flying to Rome a couple of days earlier , BA give us 23k each, I guess the good side of things is that the flight is on the way in, no worries about weight on the way back (we shop for so many magnets and well... anything that catches our eye LOL 

Thanks again!

38 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@PORT ROYAL Thanks!!! would be great to have a Cunard logo pen! 

Do the sewing kits also have Cunard logo?

We never leave our home for holidays without a first aid kit, sewing one and sun protection + insect repellent, I guess we wont need to take our sewing kit if we can request one, even though it isn't much impact on the weight, everything little helps! (we are flying to Rome a couple of days earlier , BA give us 23k each, I guess the good side of things is that the flight is on the way in, no worries about weight on the way back (we shop for so many magnets and well... anything that catches our eye LOL 

Thanks again!

Yes to the Logo, at least to the one’s in the past (3 years ago).

A tip for BA if not flying PE or above for extra baggage.  BA give 23 kilos for hand, so consider shoes (and other heavy items) into the cabin pull-along, leaving spare weight for checked luggage.

Tips.

If taking a pre-flight hotel look at https://airportr.com/en/ - They collect one’s checked luggage, from Hotel or home (if in catchment area) weigh and track, so one can just arrive at the airport and go straight to security.  No dragging luggage into the airport and no check-in hassle.  
Take a look at their website-Simples..

Purchase any heavy weight toiletries (sunscreen etc) after airport security.  One could order online (Boots) and collect from airport.

Book an airport lounge, it’s worth the extra pennies to be away from the noise/action.  Comfortable seating. Nice food and refreshments to hand with spotless toilets etc.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive
  • Like 1

@PORT ROYAL thanks again 🙂

have been flying long haul most of my life, learn from my mum the smart pa king and passed it on to my daughter (who has been flying and every kind of transportation since she was 7 months old! ) but had never thought about shopping at the airport for toiletries for this trip.... usually we buy when we get to whatever place we are going because it generally is cheaper, but I have friends who regularly travel to Italy and I know it may not be cheaper there right now, and thinking on being at sea, we were going to buy before hand... so Thank again for a very valuable tip!

Also the luggage thing...I will most definitely have a look at the site, providing that we can afford it, it would be amazing to have the service!!!

The airport lounge.... you mean booking it with the airport or can be done with Cunard? we got the flights with Cunard, initially arriving in the early morning of the embarkation day, but we changed to have a full day in Rome.... 

which brings to mind something that even one of the girls we spoke on the phone when changing flights was puzzled by.....

When we go look at the shore excursions for our trip, first thing what comes up are many (MANY!) full day tours in Rome from Civitavecchia ...which would be practically impossible to do.... lets say we kept our initial flights, leaving London at 6 am, then arriving and being taken to the port....then go from there to Rome again... maths don't add up...for all the info we have been gathering, embarkation rarely takes place late at night?

I would have been a bit annoyed if I booked for a tour and then realised we couldn't make it....  that's why decided to change the flights.... maybe Cunard should take them out of the options for tours in this voyage? 

5 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@PORT ROYAL thanks again 🙂

have been flying long haul most of my life, learn from my mum the smart pa king and passed it on to my daughter (who has been flying and every kind of transportation since she was 7 months old! ) but had never thought about shopping at the airport for toiletries for this trip.... usually we buy when we get to whatever place we are going because it generally is cheaper, but I have friends who regularly travel to Italy and I know it may not be cheaper there right now, and thinking on being at sea, we were going to buy before hand... so Thank again for a very valuable tip!

Also the luggage thing...I will most definitely have a look at the site, providing that we can afford it, it would be amazing to have the service!!!

The airport lounge.... you mean booking it with the airport or can be done with Cunard? we got the flights with Cunard, initially arriving in the early morning of the embarkation day, but we changed to have a full day in Rome.... 

which brings to mind something that even one of the girls we spoke on the phone when changing flights was puzzled by.....

When we go look at the shore excursions for our trip, first thing what comes up are many (MANY!) full day tours in Rome from Civitavecchia ...which would be practically impossible to do.... lets say we kept our initial flights, leaving London at 6 am, then arriving and being taken to the port....then go from there to Rome again... maths don't add up...for all the info we have been gathering, embarkation rarely takes place late at night?

I would have been a bit annoyed if I booked for a tour and then realised we couldn't make it....  that's why decided to change the flights.... maybe Cunard should take them out of the options for tours in this voyage? 

Airpotr - Do a dummy booking with one’s actual flight details.   Then think about what one would pay for not having the angst of lugging of suitcases on/off transport to the airport, then searching for a free luggage trolly, loading it and pushing it through departure, followed by queuing (shuffle/stop) for up to an hour to check luggage.
But to breeze smoothly and comfortably from hotel direct to security.  £14 pp ?

Airport Lounge.  Have always booked direct with the selected Lounge.

Think one is staying for two nights.
Therefore, look to tour on day two and one invites CC member (IMHO the best) @cruisemom42

to give the best ideas for group tours and group transfers by road to Civi. with wheelchair considerations.

• Like 1

@Port Royal, thanks again, 

so I went to look at the luggage website, but didn't get a quote because I wasn't sure if the airport is Heathrow or Gatwick,  £14pp is extremely cheap!!!! I thought it would be a lot more money!

Anyway, when my daughter came with lunch, I told her about it, she said-

"first of all, remember the times our luggage was lost and BA didn't get it back to us until we were back 6 weeks later-

then think about this :

The taxi guys we take lift the cases, then, have we ever need to get on a line at the airport? ? nope- we don't queue, because the airport disabled assistance takes us all through, so, on risking getting luggage lost, I rather not, no matter how cheap it is"

but she said she likes the idea of airport lounge 🙂

The tours, we can't stay longer because of work dates and other stuff, we more than likely will be going on a` land holiday to Italy at some point, this trip is my birthday present and is the sea part we look forward to, the cruising that we want to enjoy.... we are staying a couple of nights but arrive there at night, then have a full day (which we mostly want to go eat in some places that are in our list) I did Rome in my 20s, so either we will go with relaxed time so my daughter can do Vatican and all, or she will go with a friend... 

We already booked 1 tour that is marked for wheelchair users  (I think is Vigo) and booked Alghero and one in Malaga, which on the phone they suggested better not because they may not take us with the wheelchair.... my daughter insisted we keep the Alghero at least, she pushes the wheelchair , but the lady on the phone said to keep an eye that sometimes they add wheelchair tours, so I have been looking regularly....

open to all advice!!!

Edited by MrsPeel55
typos!

3 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@Port Royal, thanks again, 

so I went to look at the luggage website, but didn't get a quote because I wasn't sure if the airport is Heathrow or Gatwick,  £14pp is extremely cheap!!!! I thought it would be a lot more money!

Anyway, when my daughter came with lunch, I told her about it, she said-

"first of all, remember the times our luggage was lost and BA didn't get it back to us until we were back 6 weeks later-

then think about this :

The taxi guys we take lift the cases, then, have we ever need to get on a line at the airport? ? nope- we don't queue, because the airport disabled assistance takes us all through, so, on risking getting luggage lost, I rather not, no matter how cheap it is"

but she said she likes the idea of airport lounge 🙂

The tours, we can't stay longer because of work dates and other stuff, we more than likely will be going on a` land holiday to Italy at some point, this trip is my birthday present and is the sea part we look forward to, the cruising that we want to enjoy.... we are staying a couple of nights but arrive there at night, then have a full day (which we mostly want to go eat in some places that are in our list) I did Rome in my 20s, so either we will go with relaxed time so my daughter can do Vatican and all, or she will go with a friend... 

We already booked 1 tour that is marked for wheelchair users  (I think is Vigo) and booked Alghero and one in Malaga, which on the phone they suggested better not because they may not take us with the wheelchair.... my daughter insisted we keep the Alghero at least, she pushes the wheelchair , but the lady on the phone said to keep an eye that sometimes they add wheelchair tours, so I have been looking regularly....

open to all advice!!!

Of course, there are always 'the scenic' coach tours where wheelchair users can stay on the coach at 'scenic photo opportunities' and just get off for the often coffee and cake stop but they are a bit bland. However, bland is better than nothing if no other tours are available and these are the excursions where extra tours are added if called for

Another way of doing a tour is to book a private one through Cunard and that will involve a car. driver/guide and an itinerary tailored to your requirements but I can tell you now, they will be expensive. Worth it though if in a port you really want to explore. We  take this route  when a 'set' tour doesn't appeal and we want to explore, wheelchair or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Airport Lounge.  Have always booked direct with the selected Lounge.

this is something booked art the airports websites?

or does Cunard have bookings for lounge?

I'm a bit confused because I think I saw something at the Cunard website?

@Victoria2 thanks, yes, I don't think we will be wanting to do private tours.... as I mentioned, the cruising thing for us is the ship, days at sea, we usually do at least 3 or 4 days if we wanna see a particular city. I Lived in Spain 5 years  and my daughter worked there through an Erasmus internship and went back because she fell in love with Seville, we have been to Barcelona and Madrid more than twice, as a matter of fact, we are going to Andalusia next month, so the tours are not something we want to be spending lots of money on, 

Now, do you think there is a possibility that the "normal" (non marked disabled) yours may not want to take us? This is what the Cunard lady said on the phone , she said maybe the buses didn't have space to a wheelchair? my wheelchair is a light weight, tiny with 4 tiny wheels , a transit wheelchair that my daughter pushes, even in cobbled bits , we did it in Malta with a transit wheelchair much worse quality than the one I have now and we did fine.....

Thing is, we already paid for those 2 tours that this lady on the phone insisted we may not be able to take?

I asked if I could be put through the excursion people who work with Cunard to ask....she said shed would do that but I haven't heard back this was 2 weeks ago....

Edited by MrsPeel55
typos again! maybe there are more LOL

5 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@Victoria2 thanks, yes, I don't think we will be wanting to do private tours.... as I mentioned, the cruising thing for us is the ship, days at sea, we usually do at least 3 or 4 days if we wanna see a particular city. I Lived in Spain 5 years  and my daughter worked there through an Erasmus internship and went back because she fell in love with Seville, we have been to Barcelona and Madrid more than twice, as a matter of fact, we are going to Andalusia next month, so the tours are not something we want to be spending lots of money on, 

Now, do you think there is a possibility that the "normal" (non marked disabled) yours may not want to take us? This is what the Cunard lady said on the phone , she said maybe the buses didn't have space to a wheelchair? my wheelchair is a light weight, tiny with 4 tiny wheels , a transit wheelchair that my daughter pushes, even in cobbled bits , we did it in Malta with a transit wheelchair much worse quality than the one I have now and we did fine.....

Thing is, we already paid for those 2 tours that this lady on the phone insisted we may not be able to take?

I asked if I could be put through the excursion people who work with Cunard to ask....she said shed would do that but I haven't heard back this was 2 weeks ago....

Most coaches we've been on have luggage space underneath and that's where the wheelchairs go.

However, some tours are undertaken in smaller coaches, say seats for up to twelve and there would be no or little room for a wheelchair on those.

If I were you, I'd hightail it down to the tour office as soon as it opens and enquire there on the coach size for your booked tours and if it says wheelchair 'friendly', then that's what it should be. I would put far more faith in them than a lady on the end of a phone in a Cunard office.

You can always cancel the tours if needs be and rather than forfeit any deposit, argue a wheelchair enabled tour should in practice, be able to take wheelchairs and if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, you want the whole lot refunded.🙂

• Like 1

@Victoria2 thanks again....!

Fearing that they wouldn't give back the money if I waited until being on the ship was what made me insist to this lady to give us a contact with the Excursion Team people (apparently Cunard has it?) but she was determined on not giving details, she said she would talk to them....

I will try again, if I am not successful, then will follow your advice!!!!!! ❤️

Edited by MrsPeel55
typos again

1 hour ago, MrsPeel55 said:

this is something booked art the airports websites?

or does Cunard have bookings for lounge?

I'm a bit confused because I think I saw something at the Cunard website?

Gatwick

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/Airport-lounges/

Heathrow

https://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/business-facilities.html

Cunard offer Lounges via Holiday Extras (outsourced)

https://www.holidayextras.com/cunard/lounges.html
Same Lounges at Airports - Compare prices, stay time, etc., etc..

A aside

Regarding Airpotr.  On collection of suitcases, tracking tags are fitted and one can track.  On arrival and airside one receives a text with photos of cases in location.  One can track suitcases online from arrival to airside.

Have used Airpotr for years……

If wishing to track suitcases globally, Apple offer a great product.  Again we use every trip.  It’s great because one can track suitcases in the hold below seatings.  Then on arrival track suitcases to a distance of 1 meter.  No angst.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Tracking