Medical Evacuations on Dream

nlktx49

Got back Sunday from our 4/22 cruise on the Dream. I've never known of so many medical evacuations on one cruise.

In Key West from my balcony saw an ambulance on the pier by the gangplank. After about 20 minutes the EMT's rolled out a gurney with a person on it who had the sheet up over their head. I would like to think this was because they didn't want people staring at them, not that they were dead. Ambulance was in no hurry leaving, no lights or sirens.

About an hour later another ambulance pulled up. They were in and out of the ship quickly with a person on the gurney, left in a hurry with sirens and lights.

Then Freeport where departure was delayed as they had to wait on an ambulance to pick up a person who needed medical attention.

Then Saturday morning. A Coast Guard helicopter attempted to do an airlift in a strong storm - lightning, heavy rain, strong winds. We saw the copter from our table in the MDR where we were seated by the window. The ship listed several times so much we had to grab our dishes and glasses to keep them from sliding off the table. A large tray of clean silverware on top of a cabinet slid off onto the floor with a loud crash. 

We watched the copter struggle, flying around the ship several times, once almost going into the water! It had landed a crew member and the basket, but that was all. Later I saw a video of the attempt to evacuate the passenger. The cable was attached to the basket, they tried once to pull it up, but after raising it about a foot off the deck they dropped it back down, which gave the passenger a bad jolt!

They gave up. Later that afternoon when it had turned into a beautiful day with clear skies and very little wind the copter returned and successfully took the passenger and crew member off. Hope all those evacuated are now in good health and back home. And I hope I never have to be airlifted off a cruise.

• Like 2

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when the ambulance doesn’t use lights and sirens, that means there is no urgency to get them to the hospital, such as when someone passes away.  An EMT told me that years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when the ambulance doesn’t use lights and sirens, that means there is no urgency to get them to the hospital, such as when someone passes away.  An EMT told me that years ago.

I was thinking the same thing😪

15 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

True,  They also never cover a living person's head with the sheet.

20 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

EMT's rolled out a gurney with a person on it who had the sheet up over their head. I would like to think this was because they didn't want people staring at them, not that they were dead. Ambulance was in no hurry leaving, no lights or sirens.

Sorry, it was likely the worst.

Saw an article, think it was yesterday about four med evacs over a few ships the last week, and talking about who paid/insurance, etc...see if I can find.

@EngIceDave thx for posting the article.  I thought the last paragraph was interesting.

"If an incident does occur where medical attention or an evacuation is needed, the traveler would want to get in touch with the emergency assistance provider associated with their policy," she said. That way, "the necessary care can be arranged once at port. ... Failure to notify the assistance provider could affect what is covered."

My question is, what if the afflicted traveler is solo and unable to ask someone to contact the emergency assistance provider with their policy?  I would hope under those circumstances that the coverage would remain unaffected.

I hope I never need to use my travel insurance but I always get it.  You never know!🤞

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

My question is, what if the afflicted traveler is solo and unable to ask someone to contact the emergency assistance provider with their policy?  I would hope under those circumstances that the coverage would remain unaffected.

Hospitals will have a department that will deal with this, starting by looking in the patient's wallet or purse to find an insurance card, and contacting them.  Otherwise, the ship's port agent will contact the ship to find the patient's personal effects in the cabin to find possible next of kin contact, or the insurance card.

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

@EngIceDave thx for posting the article.  I thought the last paragraph was interesting.

"If an incident does occur where medical attention or an evacuation is needed, the traveler would want to get in touch with the emergency assistance provider associated with their policy," she said. That way, "the necessary care can be arranged once at port. ... Failure to notify the assistance provider could affect what is covered."

I hope I never need to use my travel insurance but I always get it.  You never know!🤞

You are required to put in an Emergency Contact who is not sailing on your check in documents 

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

You are required to put in an Emergency Contact who is not sailing on your check in documents 

I guess I was just curious if the passenger was unconscious and needed medical treatment before the Emergency Contact could be reached, would the policy cover it?

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Hospitals will have a department that will deal with this, starting by looking in the patient's wallet or purse to find an insurance card, and contacting them.  Otherwise, the ship's port agent will contact the ship to find the patient's personal effects in the cabin to find possible next of kin contact, or the insurance card.

I print out practically everything, especially insurance info so I would be covered.  Good to know the process, thanks!!