Live Report- Norwegian Star May 11th-21st 2023. Is this my last time on a small ship?

Back to yesterday’s Dingle stop, I was having difficulty connect to WiFi yesterday so not so ‘live’ as it could have been! 

Our friend Ziggy organised a private tour to Slea Head, for a mini bus for 8 people with a local taxi company. He even arranged a taxi for overspill of 3 people who didn’t get allocated mini bus space after his first call on cruise critic. 

It was a perfect afternoon, it started rather rainy and foggy but developed into a sunny, warm day. We didn’t even need coats by the time we looked at the last exhibit! 

One unfortunate thing was as the mini bus was full, and we all thought all eight were from the ship, and those who were booked to be onboard. We were surprised to discover that there had been a misunderstanding and one couple, not from our ship, somehow had got on taking another couple’s spaces! They were on the wrong mini bus! This sadly meant the correct couple who had booked, who had run a little late but hadn’t been able to contact Ziggy, missed out. We all felt really bad about that, as if we had known we would have waited and asked the others to get off. As it happened, nobody lost out financially but we did feel sorry for the ones who lost out.

Here are some shots from the places we visited. We really had a wonderful time and all were hugely grateful to Ziggy for organising it.

First stop in a grand estate where these ancient stones had been found. They may have been grave stones or may have marked land ownership. 

Edited by ConnieTact
Photos not loading!
  • Like 4

Next a trip to a famine cottage.

I joked with Billy the driver asking if there was a cafe up there!

A steep hill to climb but interesting when we got there. Saw donkeys on the way up. 

IMG_9479.jpeg

IMG_9480.jpeg

IMG_9482.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 3

We stopped at a roadside to see the islands that were inhabited but not now. There was a good story and apparently a book written by Tomas O’Crohan about the island called “Islandman”. It was written in Irish but translated into 14 different languages. 

When the folk left the island they commissioned the statues looking out at the Islands. 

IMG_9516.jpeg

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9513.jpeg

We arrived in Cork today and at 6.49 the loud announcement came informing us that the gangway was installed and we were able to disembark. Of course there were no further calls as it wasn’t a tender so I settled back to sleep.

The phone rang at 8.10 and I’m glad I insisted Mr CT answered it because it was laundry to inform him there was an existing hole in his orange T-shirt. This was good attention to detail as they on I didn’t want us accusing them of making it. I do remember mumbling something about MrCT needing to up his game, and not wear a shirt with holes in to bed, so maybe this was the extra push he needs! 😂

I’m glad to see the end of tenders. There was quite a few issues with them yesterday and the sea was choppy going to the bay which caused some other issues. As soon as we were in the bay it was smooth sailing though.

Our return tender yesterday had difficulty pulling into the ship. Eventually managed to do it only then to be told he had to turn his boat around the other way. This ended in the boat making impact with something and there was a loud bang and shattering sound followed by a couple more bumps. It was then agreed that he could draw alongside the original way he did. So again he got the boat safely to the platform for us to disembark.

I heard of another tender that had issues with an engine. Also, our friends were on another when one engine was lost, they went at half speed and had hardly any direction control. He told me “docking was exciting!” 

I think I agree that ours was the same, exciting, but also a little worrying at moments!

The crossing took around half an hour, even with the difficulties.

IMG_9459.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, ConnieTact said:

We arrived in Cork today and at 6.49 the loud announcement came informing us that the gangway was installed and we were able to disembark. Of course there were no further calls as it wasn’t a tender so I settled back to sleep.

The phone rang at 8.10 and I’m glad I insisted Mr CT answered it because it was laundry to inform him there was an existing hole in his orange T-shirt. This was good attention to detail as they on I didn’t want us accusing them of making it. I do remember mumbling something about MrCT needing to up his game, and not wear a shirt with holes in to bed, so maybe this was the extra push he needs! 😂

I’m glad to see the end of tenders. There was quite a few issues with them yesterday and the sea was choppy going to the bay which caused some other issues. As soon as we were in the bay it was smooth sailing though.

Our return tender yesterday had difficulty pulling into the ship. Eventually managed to do it only then to be told he had to turn his boat around the other way. This ended in the boat making impact with something and there was a loud bang and shattering sound followed by a couple more bumps. It was then agreed that he could draw alongside the original way he did. So again he got the boat safely to the platform for us to disembark.

I heard of another tender that had issues with an engine. Also, our friends were on another when one engine was lost, they went at half speed and had hardly any direction control. He told me “docking was exciting!” 

I think I agree that ours was the same, exciting, but also a little worrying at moments!

The crossing took around half an hour, even with the difficulties.

IMG_9459.jpeg

IMG_9457.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

• Like 1

Last night we dined in the main dining room Versailles. The food was all good and the service for us was good. The meal took one hour and 15 minutes. We weren’t finished in time for the show so decided to grab some drinks from O’Sheehan’s and go back to the room and watch a film. We were both tired after another exciting day of fresh air and beautiful sights and wanted to relax. 

IMG_9585.jpeg

IMG_9586.jpeg

IMG_9587.jpeg

IMG_9588.jpeg

IMG_9590.jpeg

IMG_9591.jpeg

• Like 1

We could have done with a little extra time on the trip as there are extensive gardens. Some people said by the time they queued to kiss the stone nearly an hour passed.

I have ten minutes to look around the shop - probably kinder to my bank balance anyway! 😂

IMG_9708.jpeg

We decided to head over to Spike Island.

Been on our list for a while.

The standard 3.5hr return is long enough to do the main part of the fort/prison.

If you like walk another hour would be worth adding by getting a later return ferry.

IMG_20230519_174244.thumb.jpg.97b4c7f66c0300073c827c7fd114fc3d.jpg

• Like 2