Beach near Kahalai Port

ULCajunCruiser

Looking at Google Maps, there is a beach just east of the port, west of the famous Kanaha Beach and north of something called Kapohomauoni (for which I can find no information.   It looks easily walkable from the ship, and if I zoom in on Google Maps I can even see a few people on the beach.  Does anyone know the name of this beach?  Has anyone been there??

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

DUH!!!   Of course it's Kahului.   I'm a dummy!!!

As far as we know, there is no Kahului Beach.  Kanaha Beach Park is about as close as you are going to get to the POA.  Some like the area, but if you are walking from the ship to the Park, you have to go past some grungy areas, bad road and the Wastewater Reclamation Plant.  Don't know how many homeless have returned to hang out there either.  The part closer to the airport may be better if jet noise doesn't bother you.  We really mean this as a FYI and not sour grapes.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

As far as we know, there is no Kahului Beach.  Kanaha Beach Park is about as close as you are going to get to the POA.  Some like the area, but if you are walking from the ship to the Park, you have to go past some grungy areas, bad road and the Wastewater Reclamation Plant.  Don't know how many homeless have returned to hang out there either.  The part closer to the airport may be better if jet noise doesn't bother you.  We really mean this as a FYI and not sour grapes.

Nope, thank you.   I have no idea and I appreciate people who do.    I really screwed up my posts.   We are docking at the Port of Kahului, not Kahalai as the title says.   The beach I see on Google maps is different from Kanaha Beach, actually between the Port of Kahului and Kanaha Beach Park.

But I think you're telling me that it's not the best area to walk through, even if the beach is fine.   For that I'm grateful!

5 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

We are docking at the Port of Kahului, not Kahalai as the title says.   The beach I see on Google maps is different from Kanaha Beach, actually between the Port of Kahului and Kanaha Beach Park.

This past Sunday we happened to drive from the airport to the cruise port on the road that cuts through the park, but we can't remember any beaches other than Kanaha and we are curious now.  Can you give us any named areas or landmarks so we can figure out what area you are seeing?  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

This past Sunday we happened to drive from the airport to the cruise port on the road that cuts through the park, but we can't remember any beaches other than Kanaha and we are curious now.  Can you give us any named areas or landmarks so we can figure out what area you are seeing?  Thanks!

Sure, thanks.    Its just beyond Kahana Pond Wildlife Sanctuary.  Looks like the Wastewater Reclamation Plant has a "pond" on the east side which has a rock berm that extends a few feet into the ocean, that would form the east boundary of the beach.  The west boundary has another rock "pier" jutting into the water, that's directly behind the  Hale Nanea Clubhouse.  Looks like there is a gated walking path from Amala Pl to the beach.   Hope that helps!!

9 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Sure, thanks.    Its just beyond Kahana Pond Wildlife Sanctuary.  Looks like the Wastewater Reclamation Plant has a "pond" on the east side which has a rock berm that extends a few feet into the ocean, that would form the east boundary of the beach.  The west boundary has another rock "pier" jutting into the water, that's directly behind the  Hale Nanea Clubhouse.  Looks like there is a gated walking path from Amala Pl to the beach.   Hope that helps!!

Tell you what.  We have to go get gasoline in Kahului this coming Sunday, and the gas station is adjacent to the harbor.  We'll just swing by Amala Place and check out what is where - and if it is safe and worth your effort to walk there and back from the ship.

4 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Tell you what.  We have to go get gasoline in Kahului this coming Sunday, and the gas station is adjacent to the harbor.  We'll just swing by Amala Place and check out what is where - and if it is safe and worth your effort to walk there and back from the ship.

Oh good, that would be great!!!   That's really nice of you

19 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

On 5/4/2023 at 5:48 AM, ULCajunCruiser said:

Its just beyond Kahana Pond Wildlife Sanctuary.

It is the Kanaha (not Kahana, which is a very different place) Pond Wildlife Sanctuary where the beach you are seeing is. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/SHBGdcCLb9DQJ3yR8

I've never been to the beach there so I have no idea how it is, but I do see cars parked near the access path so locals may go there (which may be a different issue). I have been to the beach in front of the Maui Seaside Hotel (see map below) and it isn't great, which is why they built the resorts in Ka'anapali and Wailea.

https://goo.gl/maps/Cb7Uj7YAbD2hDMLt5

12 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

It is the Kanaha (not Kahana, which is a very different place) Pond Wildlife Sanctuary where the beach you are seeing is. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/SHBGdcCLb9DQJ3yR8

I've never been to the beach there so I have no idea how it is, but I do see cars parked near the access path so locals may go there (which may be a different issue). I have been to the beach in front of the Maui Seaside Hotel (see map below) and it isn't great, which is why they built the resorts in Ka'anapali and Wailea.

https://goo.gl/maps/Cb7Uj7YAbD2hDMLt5

You are exactly right!!!   I screwed up the spellings right from the start, sorry about that.   But yes you finally have me straightened out.   That first map is the beach that I was looking for information on

14 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Glad you found the information you wanted.  Hope you enjoy your cruise and Hawaii!

I'm sorry, did you go by there today.   scottca075 pointed out some errors I had made spelling, that may have confused some people, and he correctly identified the beach I was asking about.   But he didn't tell me a name for that beach and he didn't give an opinion on whether it was safe to go there

If you did, I'd appreciate your thoughts!!

6 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I'm sorry, did you go by there today.   scottca075 pointed out some errors I had made spelling, that may have confused some people, and he correctly identified the beach I was asking about.   But he didn't tell me a name for that beach and he didn't give an opinion on whether it was safe to go there

If you did, I'd appreciate your thoughts!!

We will be going down to the harbor on Sunday and get a first-hand look at everything.  We go to Island Grocery Depot off and on (you'll see that on your map), and it seems it is almost right across from whatever paths there are to the beach in question. Spouse says we'll take a few photos if possible and send you those and our thoughts on the area..

The one thing that we do want to mention is that there MAY be no foot traffic allowed at the port gate (the gate closest to where you want to go).  We will ask the gate guard about that.  If they make you take the pedestrian entrance/exit walkway you will have to do some additional walking to get over to Amala.  Not a super big deal, but worth mentioning.  If you are like us, the fewer surprises the better.

• Like 1

We have an excursion scheduled for 3:00 PM, so really just trying to kill some time until then.   We get there at 8:00 AM and plan on walking around town for a bit.   If this beach works out it would be give us a chance to get some beach time.   We have so much planned, but little to none beach or even water time scheduled.  Going to Hawaii and not laying on a beach just seems criminal!!  Thanks again!!

Since the beach is in the Kanaha Pond Wildlife thingy, I'd assume the name is Kanaha Pond Beach, or it may just be part of Kanaha Beach Park. I think it is safe to walk there and if there are locals there, I don't think anyone will knife you, but I suppose some stink eye is possible if they think you are invading their turf. Never having been to that beach, I have no idea how territorial they might be.

If it were me, I'd walk the other direction to the beach in front of the Maui Beach Hotel. It is a bit further, but an easy walk still and a pretty quiet beach.

7 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

We have an excursion scheduled for 3:00 PM, so really just trying to kill some time until then.   We get there at 8:00 AM and plan on walking around town for a bit.   If this beach works out it would be give us a chance to get some beach time.   We have so much planned, but little to none beach or even water time scheduled.  Going to Hawaii and not laying on a beach just seems criminal!!  Thanks again!!

If your heart isn't absolutely set on the Kanaha area, give thought to Scott's idea of going in the other direction.  Actually, given that you may have to use the pedestrian walkway to get out of the dock area, you only have to exit the walkway where it ends at the highway, turn right and go a few blocks to the Maui Seaside Hotel.  Their grounds may be private, but the beach isn't.  The Maui Seaside Hotel is just before the Maui Beach Hotel, so you don't have to go that far.  The Google map leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, but Google the hotel area and see what you think.  Hope we haven't made this too confusing.  We'll go take a look at that tomorrow so we can give you a better idea about it.  You've got us curious about the beaches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If your heart isn't absolutely set on the Kanaha area, give thought to Scott's idea of going in the other direction.  Actually, given that you may have to use the pedestrian walkway to get out of the dock area, you only have to exit the walkway where it ends at the highway, turn right and go a few blocks to the Maui Seaside Hotel.  Their grounds may be private, but the beach isn't.  The Maui Seaside Hotel is just before the Maui Beach Hotel, so you don't have to go that far.  The Google map leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, but Google the hotel area and see what you think.  Hope we haven't made this too confusing.  We'll go take a look at that tomorrow so we can give you a better idea about it.  You've got us curious about the beaches.

Also Google "Ho'aloha Park" and see if that is the place you are thinking about.

8 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Also Google "Ho'aloha Park" and see if that is the place you are thinking about.

Dang it, no sir, that's not it.   Beach I'm looking for is west of there, on the other side of where the Pride of America docks

14 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

We have an excursion scheduled for 3:00 PM, so really just trying to kill some time until then.   We get there at 8:00 AM and plan on walking around town for a bit.

No sour grapes here either, but Kahului on Sunday is rather a ghost town, as it is a commercial/industrial area that is mainly closed on the weekend and not geared for tourists.  We say this because you mention you plan on walking around - and there is really nothing to see and do and we don't want you to be disappointed.  

Oh, so not too much to walk around and see??   Well ok, will keep researching and might just stay on ship for the morning!!

No, there really very little in Kahalui relative to tourist interests. Very, very few stay in Kahalui. Essentially  everyone who flies in (we have done it at least 20 times) picks up their rental car, which, on auto pilot goes straight to Costco,  then they head off to Wailea or West Maui. A few go towards Hana. Less than 1 or 2 percent stay close to Kahalui. 

• Like 1

Oh, so not too much to walk around and see??   Well ok, will keep researching and might just stay on ship for the morning!!

Whole Foods is 1/2 a mile, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (indoor mall) is 1 mile.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Whole Foods is 1/2 a mile, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (indoor mall) is 1 mile.

We have been to both.  In our opinion, Whole Foods is too expensive for what it is.   Unless things have changed, Queen Kaahumanu Center is sadly lacking in shops and customers.  They went into foreclosure a while back, but are at least still partially occupied  To us, neither one stands out as an attraction worth the effort to visit.

• Thanks 1