Tipping currency question

skipsaur

Hello!

I'm booked on the MSC Bellissima out of Japan this year and there doesn't seem to be much info as it just returned to Japan and I haven't heard back from MSC yet when I emailed to ask.

Does anyone have any info or could hazard a guess on on board currency? I'm not concerned about the charges on my onboard acct as those will go through a credit card. It's been a few years since my last cruise but I'm assuming cash tips are still handy to have, is that correct? I know Japan is a no-tipping culture but should I still tip on board or is it frowned upon?

What currency is best for cash tips? I can bring USD but I'm not sure where I'd get small bills/coins in Euros if the crew prefers that. Or would they prefer/accept Japanese yen since it's a Japan sailing??

Thanks for any advice!!

7 hours ago, skipsaur said:

Hello!

I'm booked on the MSC Bellissima out of Japan this year and there doesn't seem to be much info as it just returned to Japan and I haven't heard back from MSC yet when I emailed to ask.

Does anyone have any info or could hazard a guess on on board currency? I'm not concerned about the charges on my onboard acct as those will go through a credit card. It's been a few years since my last cruise but I'm assuming cash tips are still handy to have, is that correct? I know Japan is a no-tipping culture but should I still tip on board or is it frowned upon?

What currency is best for cash tips? I can bring USD but I'm not sure where I'd get small bills/coins in Euros if the crew prefers that. Or would they prefer/accept Japanese yen since it's a Japan sailing??

Thanks for any advice!!

Always carry Dollars especially for tipping at the bars. The crews will appreciate your thoughtfulness!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skipsaur said:

What currency is best for cash tips?

Euro, Dollar or Singapore Dollar. SGD is maybe best, but all three but the difference between those three is minimal. Don´t try to tip any Japanese or Korean, but the "risk" to meet one is very small.